Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 100% Green
On a two segment itinerary, what happens to the RPU if the longer segment doesn't clear? Will I have the option of canceling the RPU on the smaller segment/connection?
I'll let other correct me but my take is...

Assuming you have already cleared your upgrade on the shorter leg, you will need to un-upgrade yourself before the shorter flight is taken but you'll need to have your original fare bucket available on that flight to do so. And with that, my advice for the future is to place the upgrade request only on the longer segment and if that clears in advance, then have it applied to the shorter segment
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
On a two segment itinerary, what happens to the RPU if the longer segment doesn't clear? ....
RPUs do not have the GF/BF upgrade failure protection that GPUs/Miles have. The longer segment concept does not exist for any upgrade type.
.... Will I have the option of canceling the RPU on the smaller segment/connection?
maybe, maybe not ... what goalie said
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
GPU to Rome

If you had the choice between booking EWR - Rome Or IAD to Rome in May.

No instant R available either flight. EWR is a 767/400 with 39 BC seats 13 already booked. IAD flight is 767/300 with only 30 seats but only 3 sold at this time.

Which one do you think I have the best chance of getting upgraded on?

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Where is your starting point, and how long are the connections? What are you basing the number of seats sold on?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:25 am

I am starting in Atlanta so the connection to IAD is better but does not eliminate EWR. They are both more then long enough!

Seats sold just based on seat chart availability on UA website
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by kapkap46
I am starting in Atlanta so the connection to IAD is better but does not eliminate EWR. They are both more then long enough!

Seats sold just based on seat chart availability on UA website
I like EWR more than IAD as an airport.

Keep in mind that seat maps are not scientific indicators for how many seats have been sold. (But 13 vs 3 does provide unscientific insight!)
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by kb1992
$1000 K fare for 25000 EQM. Good deal. ^

I would use RPU on SIN-HKG because it's 744 vs HKG-SIN crappy 737.

Still, tough life! I would spend $$ to get W fare and use GPU to sit in C.
+1. It would depend how OP is looking at it. Forget $1000 for K vs $1800 for W. The better way to look at it is $1000 for Economy vs $1800 for Business. That's certainly worth $800 as long as it's confirmable at booking
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Sorry...finally did more reading (trying to multitask) and noticed the B instant upgrade is only for flights where a CPU would be eligible...aka not my INTL flight.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Dec 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm Reason: answered my own question
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Sorry...finally did more reading (trying to multitask) and noticed the B instant upgrade is only for flights where a CPU would be eligible...aka not my INTL flight.
BUT, B fare is elegible for miles upgrade without a copay @:-) 20K each way IIRC.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
PQD - Required for GPU/RPU earnings?

Quick question -
If one makes 100,000 PQM without hitting PQD requirements would they receive the RPU / GPU's that are awarded at 100,000 PQM or would the PQD requirement be in effect?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since only Platinum/1K members earn RPUs, and only 1Ks earn GPUs, if you don't make the PQD for the status, I can't see United letting you earn any of the other perks either.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since only Platinum/1K members earn RPUs, and only 1Ks earn GPUs, if you don't make the PQD for the status, I can't see United letting you earn any of the other perks either.
It's not even subject to debate. No RPU and GPUs will be earned unless the applicable Plat/1K spend threshholds are met.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
AT T-5 -- Does RPU help upgrade over CPU?

As a GS, I usually get upgraded at the T-5 mark. occasionally it happens at T-3, but, as long as there is a seat, my upgrade goes through.

I had to book a trip last minute and the cabin is F1. Would appying an RPU expedite the upgrade? or, would the CPU and RPU space open at the same time, thereby not making the application of teh RPU necessary?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
As a GS, I usually get upgraded at the T-5 mark. occasionally it happens at T-3, but, as long as there is a seat, my upgrade goes through.

I had to book a trip last minute and the cabin is F1. Would appying an RPU expedite the upgrade? or, would the CPU and RPU space open at the same time, thereby not making the application of teh RPU necessary?
There is no universal answer to this, I have seen it both ways. A RPU will place you above other GS using CPU on the gate list.
Also GS need PN space, not R space for RPUs.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:50 am

GPU Clear

I am a new 1K. Just wondering on a IAD to Rome flight on which I requested upgrade with GPU. Agent confirmed only 3 seats sold as of now.

My fare Class is Q. Can I expect an early upgrade or does seats sold and class bought not really effect when you might get the upgrade.

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but I am new to this. Flight is May 15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.