Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you will actually earn two RPU and two GPU by going over 150k, so my vote is yes

to fly 7k extra miles to surpass only an RPU threshold (eg, 125k or 175k) my vote is no
That's very good advice. Now I am going to look for the 6k mileage run (yes, not 7k as I would now finish at 144,050!) to get the 4 upgrade babies. Thank you!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: United
It's best to call to align on GPU requirements. Definitely make sure you double check the fare class for eligibility.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by maple
That's very good advice. Now I am going to look for the 6k mileage run (yes, not 7k as I would now finish at 144,050!) to get the 4 upgrade babies. Thank you!
don't cut it too close, UA has a habit of making retroactive "adjustments" to correct for posting errors that are not in their own favor.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Discontiguous upgrade w/one instrument?

SFO-HNL-GUM-MNL

First & last flight are eligible for complimentary upgrades. Middle flight, HNL-GUM, is not.

Can you apply an instrument, or standard mileage upgrade, to the first & third flights together, skipping the middle? UA.com doesn't offer that; UA.com doesn't even offer the option to upgrade the SFO-HNL segment separately, only the total itin in each direction.

To me, it's worth 20,000 miles to upgrade SFO-HNL & GUM-MNL together. It's not worth 30,000 miles plus $600 to upgrade all three.

Is there such thing as a non-contiguous upgrade (with one instrument)? Thanks!
Originally Posted by donho00
GPUs are worthless to me. It is way to hard to get them to fill

Now with two RPUs I just recently was upgraded on EVERY leg EWR to MNL!
The 1k line assisted me and she was not sure of some legs, but they filled

EWR-IAH
IAH-HNL
HNL-GUM(YES, this filled)
GUM-MNL

MNL-GUM
GUM-HNL
HNL to EWR

can upgrades be traded without charges? because I would be willing to make GPU for RPU deals
Now this is interesting. An RPU took care of an upgrade that would have otherwise required miles+copay? Didn't think that could be the case.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:13 pm

EWR-HNL Feb 2014 RPU watilist-question

Hi everyone,

With the recent EF changes, I am concerned about being waitlisted and not clearing for an RPU on EWR-HNL on Feb 1. Im a casual flyer and dont have any elite status anymore (10K miles a year and/or 4-6 RT flights/year-nothing too heavy).

My husband's ticket is a full mileage award for FC and is cleared. As such, when we booked the tickets, I had to purchase mine seperately since I was having to actually use $ since I didnt have enough miles to do a full fare mileage FC. My ticket is currently a T fare - Im aware it is an elcheapo ticket.

We have a friend that offered to sponsor me with one of their RPUs which we agreed to since we were trying to go FC to HNL with award /mileage award upgrade (hence why the husband has a FC ticket and I dont -yet). We figured returning HNL to EWR being a red eye we could manage in E+ and sleep 1/2 the flight and save a few dollars for our time in HNL.

So, since we were trying to be budget consious, I know we are taking a gamble with my being on a coach E+ seat with a waitlisted RPU and the husband in F. While im sure he would be ok with 11 hour break while on the flight if we were separated on the flight, we are trying to be together.

Yes, I know I can throw $$$ to purchase the F fare straight away, but this is about saving a few pennies if possible.

Yes, I know I can add miles plus $ to upgrade, but that would put me on the same waitlist (and my casual flying status would allegedly put me farther down on the WL than if I stay with the RPU waitlist in place -if they clear correctly).

The EWR-HNL segment allows for CPU for eligible flyers whereas HNL-EWR does not (which would mean more possible automatic upgrades from checked in /booked eligible CPU inside T-24 if/when the RPU list expires without robot sweep action).

Our friend is not always reachable so I cant ask them to standby at T-24 time to try to use another RPU if he still has one etc-presuming R>0 at T-24.

With EF changes, I am really concerned now that I may be flying E+ while the husband is lying down comfortably for the 11 hours it is estimated to take to get there non stop. Ill forget all about it when we land regardless what seats we are in, but wanted to find a way to make this a comfortable 11hours.

Is there any advice you may offer that could help my chances? The flight is fairly empty now and we are flying the first week of feb so we avoid valentines day and presidents day (for those that are going to maximize time off and/or romantic getaways etc).

Im aware we are casual flyers and with a broken upgrade system, Im just worried Ill be boxed out when right now I would be at the top of the list for UG (friend status+RPU+time when added to WL).

I know the coming days are going to be another thing to get used to without EF alerts, but figured Id ask the veterans of flying what other alternatives there are when EF and IF Expert mode are not available.

thank you for your time.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad498
...The EWR-HNL segment allows for CPU for eligible flyers whereas HNL-EWR does not (which would mean more possible automatic upgrades from checked in /booked eligible CPU inside T-24 if/when the RPU list expires without robot sweep action)...
The only way EWR-HNL allows for free CPU upgrade(s) is if you are not on the non-stop. Only connecting flights EWR-HNL via ORD, LAX, DEN. or SFO are eligible for CPU upgrades. The non-stops, EWR-HNL or HNL-EWR, both are CPU ineligible.

And it's too bad you weren't willing to make connections on the outbound flight because there are plenty of options for awards and instrument upgrades to sit up front (albeit in domestic first) on connecting flights to HNL that day. The non-stop shows 20 seats unclaimed, although some may be booked, but not selected. Still 3 months out from travel date and it's sort of in the busy season for Hawaii, so I think the upgrade chance is dicey, especially with the 1st being a Saturday, the busiest travel day to Hawaii. You never know, though. Good luck!

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 31, 2013 at 10:50 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
just waitlist it and watch R particularly for the window from 120-60 days before the flight, when R is often open if J is booked lightly. there is really nothing you can do to "improve" your chances of clearing except get onto the waitlist, and watch R as much as you can (a job that EF used to do automatically).

i've had an SFO-EWR waitlisted for a couple months now and its' not budging. that's a high demand route like EWR-HNL.

the only thing i can think of that you can do to improve your chances is buy your fare up to a higher economy bucket, but realistically that is not worth it. or shop for flights on days with positive R inventory but with a ticket already bought, that's out of the question now.

if you WL the RPU and don't clear at T24, check same day change options for your SO's ticket and your own. you might find an EWR-LAX-HNL connection with positive R and I inventory.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Not sure I understand the question. You'll either clear or you won't. I have a 1K friend that failed to clear on this route with an RPU, so not clearing is a real possibility.

You can periodically check via expert mode (doesn't sound like that is going away just yet) or by calling in and asking about inventory. Or you can upfare to F, but that's probably not too cheap.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:18 pm
Suspended

OP you didnt say what status the person who's sponsoring the RPU is, you stand a slightly better chance if they are a 1K over being a Plat. Then again EWR-HNL-EWR does get its fair share of folks paying the TODs or simply buying the F tkt.The more they sell the seats the less chance of them opening up the R bucket
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL FO

If a friend redeemed an RPU for my flight from aaa-bbb-ccc (aaa-bbb is on a single cabin flight, bbb-ccc already cleared), do I still get first class baggage allowance ? Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hoth300
If a friend redeemed an RPU for my flight from aaa-bbb-ccc (aaa-bbb is on a single cabin flight, bbb-ccc already cleared), do I still get first class baggage allowance ? Thanks!
If any portion of the trip is in First (including an upgrade), then you should receive the First bag allowance at checkin.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:30 am

Thanks!! Will I be able to use premier access checkin, security and boarding lines at aaa airport?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:30 am

Anyone have any insight into my last question? My flight is tomorrow evening...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:31 pm

eg. AMS-IAH-SEA in W class. Let's say I apply a GPU and AMS-IAH is waitlisted and IAH-SEA clears instantly.

Suppose AMS-IAH (BusFirst) does not eventually clear, will the system automatically refund the GPU even though IAH-SEA (dom F) is cleared, as per the upgrade rules?
ie. does the refund work only when the (ug failed) BusFirst/GlobalFirst sector is after the cleared dom F sector, or it works either ways?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maple
eg. AMS-IAH-SEA in W class. Let's say I apply a GPU and AMS-IAH is waitlisted and IAH-SEA clears instantly.

Suppose AMS-IAH (BusFirst) does not eventually clear, will the system automatically refund the GPU even though IAH-SEA (dom F) is cleared, as per the upgrade rules?
ie. does the refund work only when the (ug failed) BusFirst/GlobalFirst sector is after the cleared dom F sector, or it works either ways?
There is nothing suggesting it maters which is first -- all that matters is none of the BF/GF segments clear.

... for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.