Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chirac Tax ex CDG now collected at the time of upgrade request vs at check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Chirac Tax - wikipedia
The "Solidarity Tax on airplane tickets" (Taxe de solidarité sur les billets d'avion, also known as Chirac Tax) is a surcharge on the civil aviation tax which is destined to finance Unitaid..
Code:
.................Economy Class .. Business or First Class
 Destination within EEA €1.13 .... €11.27
 Destination outside EEA €4.51 ... €45.07
previous thread
UA Paid CDG (Chirac) Tax When Upgrading in the past & new follow-up reported 01 June

UN chief hails new French air tax 2006
Print Wikipost

Chirac Tax ex CDG now collected at the time of upgrade request vs at check-in

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Exclamation Chirac Tax ex CDG now collected at the time of upgrade request vs at check-in

Just spoke with a fellow f/t'er who booked a trip SFO-ORD-CDG/CDG-ORD-SFO yesterday for September and when she applied her GPU on-line for the return, she was prompted to pay the Chirac tax and could not proceed with the upgrade request until she did-and the upgrade would be waitlisted as there was no upgrade availabilty. Don't know if this applies to calling and having the GPU applied and to be fair, it does make checking in ex-CDG with an upgrade easier as now you don't have to pay the Chriac tax at check-in but imho, typical COdbaUA....collect your money now for something that you don't receive until <insert your time frame here> and then make you wait months to get a refund if the service (in this case, an upgrade) is not provided.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't like this new trend, UA collecting fees and taxes for something you have not received yet then having to get a refund when you don't get it. This is in another thread that they are doing the same thing with the upgrade co-pays.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
Originally Posted by Baze
I really don't like this new trend, UA collecting fees and taxes for something you have not received yet then having to get a refund when you don't get it. This is in another thread that they are doing the same thing with the upgrade co-pays.
Indeed! Customers are essentially being required to make interest free loans to UA. In the case of a miles+copay, UA might have the money for months for a product it may never provide.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
There is no reason whatsoever for this profoundly customer unfriendly practice, and I could care less how PMCO did things. Giving my credit card and pre-authorizing payment is one thing; having UA demand that I pay this tax up front when we all know that if the upgrade doesn't clear I'm going to have to do bloody battle with the refunds department is absurd. This would be reason enough for me to fly another carrier
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I fly this a lot. I think part of the reason may be that they kept getting arguments/meltdowns at the counter when they charged people.

Agents were always incredibly relieved when I just pulled out my card and said "I know."

(That said, they pulled my GPU, didn't get me onto the list after checkin, and I'm still waiting for it to come back.)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I think part of the reason may be that they kept getting arguments/meltdowns at the counter when they charged people.
I don't know this for sure, but I'm 99% positive this change is related to SHARES not being able to handle (or no one has written it) payments when something clears.

It appears (from PMCO board) that they have taken the co-pay on request since 2008, so I'm guessing that since the whole operation is seemingly CO, their method prevailed, because it was the easiest to implement in COdbaUA - basically, do nothing.

-jeremy
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
One positive aspect is that the fee will be disclosed... like a previous poster, I've noticed how the checkin agents are relieved when they deal with a passenger who expects the fee and doesn't question it.

Still, I don't like the idea of paying first. I don't trust the refund process. I'm sure I'll get my money back eventually, but if it involves calling multiple times, then I should be compensated for my time.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Maybe 3/3 copay upgrades from CDG will be 'on the house' with comped Chriac tax?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Agreed on the complaints -- bs to have to pay this upfront before you actually get upgraded.

I buy pre-ordered products all the time online (lots costing thousands of dollars) and my card doesn't get billed until the product ships.

Seems like airlines should operate the same way.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold, GM of every other program out there
Now LHR charges a fee to upgrade?

I just tried to use a GPU for LHR-ORD. I have used SWU's on this flight numerous times in the past and have never paid a duty or fee for the upgrade. Today, the system is attempting to collect $61 USD from me before processing the upgrade (which it appears will clear). Why a new fee all of a sudden?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:31 am

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Nasty practices- making money on the float with OUR $.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:48 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by stephenbgarvan
Nasty practices- making money on the float with OUR $.
Yup-giving COdbaUA an interest free loan tho the last time I looked, loans generally required loan documents and unless COdbaUA is disclosing this upfront that it is in fact an interest free loan......
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
If Frenchy does it to US citizens, we should do it to Frenchy, plus we should match the extortion for landing at Heathrow
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by goalie
Yup-giving COdbaUA an interest free loan tho the last time I looked, loans generally required loan documents and unless COdbaUA is disclosing this upfront that it is in fact an interest free loan......
Just to note that with interest rates at zero I don't think it benefits them much. Secondly, last time I did this, they took the cc info, but never put the charge through. (Upgrade never cleared).
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Where is "APD passenger tax" disclosed?

I recently had a miles+copay upgrade into CDG airport clear, and found a $48 charge from United on my credit card for an airport passenger duty tax. I'd heard they were doing this to LHR, but didn't know it also applied to CDG. Of course I'm annoyed at this, given that I already paid a hefty copay, but my question isn't about United's decision to impose the fee, but rather its disclosure or lack thereof.

I'm generally pretty good about reading what I'm clicking through, and I don't remember ever seeing any kind of disclosure about this $48. It annoys me even more when people charge stuff to my credit card without first telling me the amount or letting me chose the credit card. Can someone who is familiar with the online upgrade process recently tell me where this amount is disclosed, and how to know whether and how much I will be charged in addition to the stated amount in the future?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.