Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 9:39 am

I applied an RPU to an JFK-SFO flight. I now see that the earlier flight has R3. If I pay the $200 fee to change my flight can I reapply the RPU and have the upgrade clear?

I could also wait for the SDC to kick in, but $200 seems like a decent price not to risk it.

Last edited by olouie; May 6, 2015 at 9:55 am
Old May 6, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by olouie
I applied an RPU to an JFK-SFO flight. I now see that the earlier flight has R3. If I pay the $200 fee to change my flight can I reapply the RPU and have the upgrade clear?

I could also wait for the SDC to kick in, but $200 seems like a decent price not to risk it.
If your fare bucket is not available, they'll charge you the fare difference too
Old May 6, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If your fare bucket is not available, they'll charge you the fare difference too
Thanks! Fare bucket is available. Guess I will call to see if they can push the upgrade through at the same time :-)
Old May 6, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Question about group RPU clearing

I don't often travel with my family, so this is new to me....
I have an upcoming trip with the 3 of us on a single PNR, wait-listed on 3 RPU's.
I'm the only one with status...
What I dont want to have happen is I get upgraded and my wife, daughter do not and we get separated.
Is there any way to ensure an all-or-nothing clearing? Will the PNR auto split at T-24?
Advice?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it will only clear if R3+ is available (unlikely). At check-in try to not have the PNR split (but United may do this anyway). Call before checking in to remove the RPU request; that's the best option IMO.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
Change GPU confirmed tickets

Hi folks,

I have a ticket that I applied GPU and have got cleared. Now I want to change it to another date. Does any one know what will happen to the upgrade? Will it still be applied (may not be cleared though) or will it be returned to the account?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
My changes have been re-deposited and re-applied. If you do not have extra GPU's to use, the agent can (if they want to) immediately re-deposit and use the same one.
Old May 9, 2015, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vicfly7
I have a ticket that I applied GPU and have got cleared. Now I want to change it to another date. Does any one know what will happen to the upgrade? Will it still be applied (may not be cleared though) or will it be returned to the account?
You need to call it in. Ask to have the GPU applied to the new flight. If there is open R, you will clear immediately.

I do not recommend making this change online (and it will likely error out anyway).
Old May 11, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Schedule change on GPU-cleared flight

My GPU cleared on LAS-ORD, but due to a schedule change my LAX-LAS no longer arrives in time, so LAX-LAS-ORD is no longer possible:
UA325 LAX-LAS 2240-2351 (Waitlisted)
UA866 LAS-ORD 2330-0505+1 (GPU cleared)
If I request LAX-LAS-ORD changed to LAX-ORD nonstop (currently R0), would they clear my GPU on the new flight, based on the schedule change affecting the upgraded segment?

BTW, my full routing is: BWI-LAX-LAS-ORD-IAH-MUC-HAM-FRA. This must be the only place in the world where people don't think I'm crazy for booking this instead of IAD-FRA nonstop!
Old May 11, 2015, 3:46 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by wh6cto
If I request LAX-LAS-ORD changed to LAX-ORD nonstop (currently R0), would they clear my GPU on the new flight, based on the schedule change affecting the upgraded segment?
Nope.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
S.O. booked IAH-HNL and waitlisted using one of my RPUs. Looked at current fare classes and see this for front cabin: F3, A3, JN5, C3, D3, Z3, ZN3, P1, PN0, R0, RN0. Why is F3 and JN5? Shouldn't JN be <= F?

I know she needs R - the "JN5" just prompted the curiosity...

Edit:
Nevermind - found the "no mas" next to JN in the Master Wiki alphabet soup decoder...it's a zombie...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 11, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Trying to see if this seems normal:

I applied an RPU to a flight IAH-SFO on an H fare ticket. I didn't clear the waitlist at T-24 and after checking in I'm #14 out of 33 on the list as a 1K.

I've applied an RPU on this route before that typically get the upgrade or it puts me in at least the top 5 on the list. I know it's hub-hub with a lot of elites but does it look strange that i'm so far down the list with an RPU as 1K?

If it makes any difference, I had to call the 1K desk to check myself in because it wouldn't let me online. Could something the rep did potentially negate my RPU?
Old May 14, 2015, 4:17 pm

RPU Waitlisting

Hey Guys,

Question? I have no status currently with United (working my way there) as I just started flying more this year. My boyfriend has United Premier 1K and I have a flight to Chicago (YYC-ORD) on May 30th, and the return flight is back to Calgary through San Francisco (ORD-SFO-YYC), the ORD-SFO flight is fairly long and they're using a B777-200 so my boyfriend used one of his Regional Premier Upgrades for me on my return flight. The second segment (SFO-YYC) is confirmed, however, the first segment (ORD-SFO) says 'upgrade requested' and I am wait listed. There are 21 seats available in Business class on this flight, so I am just wondering why I am wait listed first of all, and second, what are the chances I will be cleared and get a seat in business class on that flight? As I understand they go off my status? Which I don't have yet.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tsolin01
I applied an RPU to a flight IAH-SFO on an H fare ticket. I didn't clear the waitlist at T-24 and after checking in I'm #14 out of 33 on the list as a 1K.
On an H fare that's surprising. Several possible explanations, including displaced F pax from a cancelled flight, lots of Y/B fares, and/or a bunch of GS (with companions).
Old May 17, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dfors442
Hey Guys,

Question? I have no status currently with United (working my way there) as I just started flying more this year. My boyfriend has United Premier 1K and I have a flight to Chicago (YYC-ORD) on May 30th, and the return flight is back to Calgary through San Francisco (ORD-SFO-YYC), the ORD-SFO flight is fairly long and they're using a B777-200 so my boyfriend used one of his Regional Premier Upgrades for me on my return flight. The second segment (SFO-YYC) is confirmed, however, the first segment (ORD-SFO) says 'upgrade requested' and I am wait listed. There are 21 seats available in Business class on this flight, so I am just wondering why I am wait listed first of all, and second, what are the chances I will be cleared and get a seat in business class on that flight? As I understand they go off my status? Which I don't have yet.
You need 'R' class available to clear the upgrade. ORD-SFO is tough, but on a 772 your chances with an RPU are quite decent IMO. Status does not matter much here, once they have cleared YBM they will clear RPUs; your booking class counts as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.