Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by denace_denton
Does anyone know anything about Turkish Airlines boarding process? I will be flying from ORD -> IST -> TXL next week with a musical instrument and I need to make sure I get on board early enough so that there is still room in the overhead to stash my instrument. It is too fragile to check and it easily fits in the overhead and I've travelled by air with it many times before. How many boarding zones are there for TK? Does seat selection matter? Do they board back-to-front or outside-in?

My normal strategy is to try to stand right by the gate and make sure I'm in the front of the line when my zone is called. But in some recent US flights I've seen up to 9 boarding zones and if you are in zone 9 they announce ahead of time there will not be any room in the overheads for zone 9 (fortunately I've not yet been travelling with the instrument when this has been the case).

Any advice is appreciated.
I travel with an instrument all the time and found TK to be remarkably accommodating in that respect.

Show up at the gate early. Be a gate-louse. Ask if you could be allowed to board early if you have a later boarding group.

Be friendly and ask for help rather than demand, as technically they could make you check it in if it’s larger than the carry-on dimensions.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:20 pm

I have not had success creating a miles and smiles account. I have been trying to do so at https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u.../sign-up-form/

I put all my info in, including a 6 digit password, but when I try and create the account, it first tells me there is a "technical error" and then when I try and create the account after that, it just thinks for a minute and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bfwolf
I have not had success creating a miles and smiles account. I have been trying to do so at https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u.../sign-up-form/

I put all my info in, including a 6 digit password, but when I try and create the account, it first tells me there is a "technical error" and then when I try and create the account after that, it just thinks for a minute and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
This has been an issue with the website for some time now. Try signing up using the mobile app!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

This has been an issue with the website for some time now. Try signing up using the mobile app!
This worked. Thanks!
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Checking in question

I am flying ATL-IST-LIS RT in J at the end of the year and have a check-in question.

I have a 14 hour layover and am staying at the YotelAir (airside) at the Istanbul airport. One of their requirements is that I have my onward boarding pass for the IST-LIS leg.

Can someone confirm that when checking in at ATL they are going to check me in all the way through to LIS and issue both my ATL-IST and my IST-LIS boarding passes.

I feel stupid asking this as I'm pretty sure that I've always been checked all the way through to my destination, have been a PM and a OW Emerald and have done at least a dozen International flights from the US to the Middle East and Europe in the last three years....however Turkish Air phone support and Twitter DM answers vary with the wind and I'm getting numerous different answers.

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I am flying ATL-IST-LIS RT in J at the end of the year and have a check-in question.

I have a 14 hour layover and am staying at the YotelAir (airside) at the Istanbul airport. One of their requirements is that I have my onward boarding pass for the IST-LIS leg.

Can someone confirm that when checking in at ATL they are going to check me in all the way through to LIS and issue both my ATL-IST and my IST-LIS boarding passes.

I feel stupid asking this as I'm pretty sure that I've always been checked all the way through to my destination, have been a PM and a OW Emerald and have done at least a dozen International flights from the US to the Middle East and Europe in the last three years....however Turkish Air phone support and Twitter DM answers vary with the wind and I'm getting numerous different answers.

Thanks for your help.
No need to feel stupid asking this question - especially if hotline and Twitter team provide varying information. This is typical TK - great experience in the air, mixed experience everywhere else.

Anyway, to your question: Since your layover is under 24 hours, you will be checked-in to your final destination and you will get both boarding passes already in ATL.
Luggage will be checked through too, so I would recommend carrying anything you need for your stay at the Yotel in your hand luggage.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

No need to feel stupid asking this question - especially if hotline and Twitter team provide varying information. This is typical TK - great experience in the air, mixed experience everywhere else.

Anyway, to your question: Since your layover is under 24 hours, you will be checked-in to your final destination and you will get both boarding passes already in ATL.
Luggage will be checked through too, so I would recommend carrying anything you need for your stay at the Yotel in your hand luggage.
As usual SFOTraveller1984 you come through. I appreciate the help.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
As usual SFOTraveller1984 you come through. I appreciate the help.
You are welcome! I am glad to hear that the FT Community here is a real alternative to the TK Helpdesk
RetiredATLATC and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Hi communiity, i'm new to TK Miles and Smiles FFP and just wanted a confirmation: if I fly 40000 miles in the next 12 month, am I going to get Elite status ? or do I need first 25000 miles to reach Classic Plus, and then 40000 more miles to reach Elite status ? Thanks for clarifying
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Alfredbali
Hi communiity, i'm new to TK Miles and Smiles FFP and just wanted a confirmation: if I fly 40000 miles in the next 12 month, am I going to get Elite status ? or do I need first 25000 miles to reach Classic Plus, and then 40000 more miles to reach Elite status ? Thanks for clarifying
It is a rolling 12-month period for the initial qualification of a status. So yes, if you fly 40k within the next 12 months you will get Elite status.
Alfredbali likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:33 am

So here's my sob story. Appreciate if anyone can point me in right direction.

So I originally booked award tickets through call center. I then needed to change the airports due to logistical reasons and I was informed that they cannot change award tickets and I would have to rebook. Fine. Rep suggested I make a new reservation and put it on hold. We did that and then Rep tried to cancel and refund the original booking. She was able to cancel the tickets however system could not refund the tickets. She said someone would contact me in a day or two to inform me about the status which they did. I got the call same next day around 3 in the morning ( I am in EST zone) which I couldn't pick up. Rep left a voicemail that I need to go to Sales office to get this sorted out for same reason (system could not refund the ticket). Nearest sales office is 3 hours away and I am not too sure they are THE ultimate people who could fix this for me. I have tried to talk to sales office via email previously for booking purposes and they are notoriously slow. I am afraid that this will take much longer via email and my flights will be gone.

I cannot pay for new reservation until I get my miles from original booking reinstated.
Should I attempt to resolve this via email or call to local office again? will they be helpful?
what are my options that will help me to resolve this asap as time is of essence here?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dwatcher
So here's my sob story. Appreciate if anyone can point me in right direction.

So I originally booked award tickets through call center. I then needed to change the airports due to logistical reasons and I was informed that they cannot change award tickets and I would have to rebook. Fine. Rep suggested I make a new reservation and put it on hold. We did that and then Rep tried to cancel and refund the original booking. She was able to cancel the tickets however system could not refund the tickets. She said someone would contact me in a day or two to inform me about the status which they did. I got the call same next day around 3 in the morning ( I am in EST zone) which I couldn't pick up. Rep left a voicemail that I need to go to Sales office to get this sorted out for same reason (system could not refund the ticket). Nearest sales office is 3 hours away and I am not too sure they are THE ultimate people who could fix this for me. I have tried to talk to sales office via email previously for booking purposes and they are notoriously slow. I am afraid that this will take much longer via email and my flights will be gone.

I cannot pay for new reservation until I get my miles from original booking reinstated.
Should I attempt to resolve this via email or call to local office again? will they be helpful?
what are my options that will help me to resolve this asap as time is of essence here?
If you go directly to a sales office, they resolve the issue just in front of you. However, as it's a 3 hours ride from you, it's your choice to wait for them to answer back or go to the office in person. If you e-mail the TK support e-mail ( not the sales office ), you would have the same answer as you need to visit the nearest sales office. Alternatively, you could e-mail the sales office ( again ) or call them but they would ask you to send a photocopy of your passport photo page, Miles&Smiles card and both sides of your credit card ( for the taxes ). If this would bother you, I would suggest them to visit in person.

A sales office has the right to process refunds in complicated situations while the hotline agents don't. The TK hotline is operated by a third party company which is the reason you can't complete your transaction on the phone, it must be someone from TK who process the refund.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you go directly to a sales office, they resolve the issue just in front of you. However, as it's a 3 hours ride from you, it's your choice to wait for them to answer back or go to the office in person. If you e-mail the TK support e-mail ( not the sales office ), you would have the same answer as you need to visit the nearest sales office. Alternatively, you could e-mail the sales office ( again ) or call them but they would ask you to send a photocopy of your passport photo page, Miles&Smiles card and both sides of your credit card ( for the taxes ). If this would bother you, I would suggest them to visit in person.

A sales office has the right to process refunds in complicated situations while the hotline agents don't. The TK hotline is operated by a third party company which is the reason you can't complete your transaction on the phone, it must be someone from TK who process the refund.
Thanks for the insight. I have no problem sending information they request, however I don't have the miles and smiles card. Account is just two weeks old. The sales office is in Washington DC. I guess I have to visit city sales office right? not the airport one.

Worst come worst if I have to go, can I go instead of my wife (tickets are booked under her Miles and Smiles account, however I am traveling too) OR I have relative that lives closer to the city sales office, can they go on behalf of me with this information?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dwatcher
Thanks for the insight. I have no problem sending information they request, however I don't have the miles and smiles card. Account is just two weeks old. The sales office is in Washington DC. I guess I have to visit city sales office right? not the airport one.

Worst come worst if I have to go, can I go instead of my wife (tickets are booked under her Miles and Smiles account, however I am traveling too) OR I have relative that lives closer to the city sales office, can they go on behalf of me with this information?
Yes, you have to visit the city sales office, some airport offices may do these transactions some don't. I am not sure but the ticket office in IAD is only a counter ( not an actual office ) so they might redirect you to the city one.

Your relatives could visit the sales office but still, they would ask the cardholder to sign a document via fax and mail before the transaction so it would be safe if the cardholder goes to the sales office in person. I know it's a bit annoying, but following the stupid TK rules are the only way to deal with them.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, you have to visit the city sales office, some airport offices may do these transactions some don't. I am not sure but the ticket office in IAD is only a counter ( not an actual office ) so they might redirect you to the city one.

Your relatives could visit the sales office but still, they would ask the cardholder to sign a document via fax and mail before the transaction so it would be safe if the cardholder goes to the sales office in person. I know it's a bit annoying, but following the stupid TK rules are the only way to deal with them.
I better have my itinerary super finalized next time I deal with TK. what a process.

When you say cardholder, do you mean CC holder or Miles&Smiles account person? Its easy for me to take off than it would be for my wife. I can carry her documents with me just in case. Hopefully I can sort this out over email by Tuesday 5 p.m. - that's when hold expires but I guess I can get "new" hold as they don't extend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.