FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1444263-newbie-zone-ask-your-questions-here.html)

starflyergold Mar 3, 2013 11:15 am

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...62-fttkfaq.jpg

Call it the TK sandbox if you like. Ask away here if you are about to embark on your first trip on Turkish Airlines or have just enrolled in M&S.

The newbie zone is here to have all your questions answered in a friendly flame free environment.

Please do look at the other FAQs as many more generic questions may have been answered already. ;)

starflyergold
Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles forum moderator

Peppep Mar 4, 2013 1:25 pm

A couple of weeks ago, there was a lot of availability on TK40/TK41 IST-CPT-IST, and now there's absolutely nothing. Does anyone know what's going on...?! (I'm using the ANA tool.)

NAREN10216 Mar 10, 2013 6:51 pm

TK G class

do G class fares on TK earn Miles and Smiles credits ?

tobegold Mar 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Yes, all TK fares earn with m&s. G does not earn on most partner plans though.

NAREN10216 Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

thanks tbg

aarif1 Mar 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm glad you opened this thread, I've been wondering for a while about TK availability (or lack thereof). Last year I was able to get 3 tickets from BOS-ISB via YYZ and IST. If I remember correctly, there was plenty of availability around the dates I was looking. However, a search now yields zero days with 3 seats available between IST and ISB (or KHI). Is this just a matter of TK reducing award availability on these routes for whatever reason?

(BTW, I'm searching using UA's award search).

johhenrik Mar 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Now I don't know if this is the case always or on all routes, but it looks like they are rotating seats around several days in a week. One day there are seats available on day X but not the day after. Looking again two days later there are seats available on the day after but not on day X. A week later, the seats are available again...

I use expert flyer for award tickets and it has served me well. It can scan regularly for you and notify when there is availability.

johan rebel Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Peppep (Post 20358897)
A couple of weeks ago, there was a lot of availability on TK40/TK41 IST-CPT-IST, and now there's absolutely nothing. Does anyone know what's going on...?! (I'm using the ANA tool.)

I don't know, to be honest, but when I flew JNB-IST three days ago the J cabin was completely full. On the way down, on the other hand, about one third of the seats were not occupied.

Johan

SQCXEKflyer Mar 15, 2013 5:02 am

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have an award booking for HKG-IST-OSL-IST-HKG (for late June, return in late July). If I try booking (dummy booking) this sector on these dates, the system would allow me to choose seats for the first sector. Could I call to reserve seats (even if it is only for this sector at the moment) and who would I call? I am M&S Elite Level.

2. If I try to book (dummy booking) the dates I fly, it shows the IST-OSL and OSL-IST leg is a 737-800, and that is what the award booking did when I booked as well. However, if I try to do an award booking today on the same dates, it shows 737-900ER. Which is more accurate? I would assume award booking as that is the one that has changed. (I do know TK like to change things around).

3. Do the 737-900ER really only have 151 seats, while the 737-800 configuration with leasts seats has 155 (and according to Seat Guru have more business class seats as well)?

4. Has anyone used the in-town check-in for HKG? I arrive from PER on CX that morning (have a whole day in HKG). I know airport check-in for Turkish hasn't opened, but it says in-town check-in would be open. Planning to take luggage with my on the train to the city, check-in when I arrive (probably 9h before departure time), see the city, then go straight to the airport that evening for the flight.

Edit: My award booking is in business class (I fare) if that makes any difference.

Peppep Mar 15, 2013 9:55 pm

2. Both. One daily 739, one daily 738. http://www.staralliance.com/flightSe...DayLookUp=true

4. Yeah, it worked great when I used it in October 2012 for a QR flight. I checked in approximately 10 hours before the flight.

SQCXEKflyer Mar 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Peppep (Post 20428149)
2. Both. One daily 739, one daily 738. http://www.staralliance.com/flightSe...DayLookUp=true

4. Yeah, it worked great when I used it in October 2012 for a QR flight. I checked in approximately 10 hours before the flight.

Thanks. I'm on the 739 both ways (which I'm happy about). Just hoping I won't get the a320 family and the inferior j cabin).

Also saw on the Tk website that in town check in for hkg opens at 14:00, which is about the time I expect to get in there.

Peppep Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am

I believe most of the 739s and 321s have IFE and biz seats, while the 738s and 319/320 have Y seats with the middle seat blocked. The OSL-IST equipment varies between 738/739/321.

SQCXEKflyer Mar 17, 2013 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Peppep (Post 20429632)
I believe most of the 739s and 321s have IFE and biz seats, while the 738s and 319/320 have Y seats with the middle seat blocked. The OSL-IST equipment varies between 738/739/321.

As I understood it, the 738s (I believe all, or at least a huge majority) and 739s have J seats. The A321's are mixed (don't know ratio), some have the same as 73G/319/320, while some have the J seats.

Peppep Mar 17, 2013 8:24 am

Definitely not all, I recently flew OSL-IST and IST-CPH, and the 738s had Y seats.

johhenrik Mar 17, 2013 3:19 pm

It's hit or miss I would say. I've flown between ARN and IST maybe 10 times r/t the last year and twice out of 20 flights I have gotten the new J seats and the rest it's Y seats with middle reserved.