Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dwatcher
I better have my itinerary super finalized next time I deal with TK. what a process.

When you say cardholder, do you mean CC holder or Miles&Smiles account person? Its easy for me to take off than it would be for my wife. I can carry her documents with me just in case. Hopefully I can sort this out over email by Tuesday 5 p.m. - that's when hold expires but I guess I can get "new" hold as they don't extend it.
I meant the Miles&Smiles account holder.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Soo booked TK economy tickets (one is class L and the other is class E) and I can't choose my seats in advance despite being star alliance gold? Is this normal or a website glitch?

I don't want to wait until the check in time and risk getting a middle seat for a long haul red eye.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 42000ft
Soo booked TK economy tickets (one is class L and the other is class E) and I can't choose my seats in advance despite being star alliance gold? Is this normal or a website glitch?

I don't want to wait until the check in time and risk getting a middle seat for a long haul red eye.
Are you able to see the seat map at the MMB section of the TK website?
Does the system ask for money, when you are trying to reserve a non-exit-row/bulkhead seat?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Are you able to see the seat map at the MMB section of the TK website?
Does the system ask for money, when you are trying to reserve a non-exit-row/bulkhead seat?
Yes I can see the seat map in the website, but it only let's me select seats that cost $ (e.g. bulkhead row) for $145 a seat....I can't select any seats that are free anywhere else in the aircraft.

Should I try calling them to request a seat confirmation?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Free standard seat selection economy 100 days beforehand
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by tartempion
Free standard seat selection economy 100 days beforehand
Ah that's why then, thank you! I just checked and you're correct - now that I am less than 100 days away from my flight, I can select seats with no problem. I guess when I tried to before, I was still more than 100 days away from my flight.
tartempion likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
How to use M&S website/apps to search star alliance awards redemption? TIA
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yauee
How to use M&S website/apps to search star alliance awards redemption? TIA
The TK/M&S website has a Star Alliance award ticket section but it's not working properly.
If you want to book a *A award ticket, I would suggest you to call or to go to a sales office nearby.
An alternative would be calling the hotline, but they might not be helpful when booking a *A award. ( Recent reports in the *A award thread indicate that hotline agents may not see availability that appears at Aeroplan, MileagePlus, etc... )
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:01 am

Diverts question

I've noticed on FR24 a handful of instances that a flight I will be taking from ATL has diverted to the old airport (ISL) recently.

How is TK getting passengers from ISL to IST? Are they busing them or flying them once the wx improves at IST?

Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I've noticed on FR24 a handful of instances that a flight I will be taking from ATL has diverted to the old airport (ISL) recently.

How is TK getting passengers from ISL to IST? Are they busing them or flying them once the wx improves at IST?

Thanks
The old airport is not operational and none of the flights are being diverted to Atatürk Airport.
It's a common error that FR24 shows flights diverted to ISL.

ISL ( Atatürk Airport ) is only used for cargo and VIP flights.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:40 am

The old airport is not operational and none of the flights are being diverted to Atatürk Airport.
It's a common error that FR24 shows flights diverted to ISL.

ISL ( Atatürk Airport ) is only used for cargo and VIP flights.
So are these flights being diverted somewhere else, or is this a FR glitch?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So are these flights being diverted somewhere else, or is this a FR glitch?
FR glitch
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:01 am

FR glitch
Thanks. I had read some articles like this and thought wx may have sent them scattering.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/05/20/istanbul-airport-weather-delays/

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Aug 16, 2019 at 5:28 am
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Thanks. I had read some articles like this and thought wx may have sent them scattering.
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/05/20/istanbul-airport-weather-delays/
I think it is because FR's reception at the new airport isn't very good and the airplane signal drops off shortly before landing at IST. in that case FR assumes that the flight diverted to ISL.

You are correct that there have been reports saying that this location is not suitable for an airport due to weather, fog, bird population, etc.
I am not an expert on this, but I assume that right now (summer time) is not the most critical time. And so far, operations at the new airport seem to run quite smoothly.

I guess the real test will come during winter time and I hope that the airport will have sufficient facilities to deal with snow, etc
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I'll be flying TK Business for the first time in about a month...LAX-IST-DBV. I'll be flying into LAX from SEA on a separate ticket. Planning on having at least a 4-5hr layover in LAX. My question is, will TK allow me to check-in through the TK app or online and issue a boarding pass? As soon as I land in LAX, I'd like to access the UA Polaris lounge using the electronic bp without having to exit security. US citizen here and I do not require a visa to enter Croatia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.