Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
I have done a status match to M&S from FB and I am set to complete all goals later this day as outlined in the terms below.

The status match was requested in September 2018, and today I will manage the goal of 15,000 status miles on TK flights only. What would the normal requirements be for keeping *G the upcoming year? (second year/one year extension which is talked about in the requirements above)

I'm a bit puzzled as how the normal cycle will look for from now on as per keeping Elite or even going for Elite Plus. Any answer from one of the TK experts here would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I understand you are still in your first year of Elite membership (granted through status match) and since you have collected 15k miles, the Elite membership will be extended for a second year.
Please note the wiki and recent discussion in this thread which indicates a "special treatment" of the second year if the Elite status has been granted through a status match: In order to renew your Elite status for 2 more years (i.e. year 3 and 4), you need to collect 37,500 status miles in your upcoming second year - the 15k miles from your first year do not count.
This is a special treatment particularly for the second year.

Once you have collected these 37,500 miles, your Elite membership will be renewed for 2 more years and then follow normal (re)qualification rules as outlined here:
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ils/index.html
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Hi, I understand you are still in your first year of Elite membership (granted through status match) and since you have collected 15k miles, the Elite membership will be extended for a second year.
Please note the wiki and recent discussion in this thread which indicates a "special treatment" of the second year if the Elite status has been granted through a status match: In order to renew your Elite status for 2 more years (i.e. year 3 and 4), you need to collect 37,500 status miles in your upcoming second year - the 15k miles from your first year do not count.
This is a special treatment particularly for the second year.

Once you have collected these 37,500 miles, your Elite membership will be renewed for 2 more years and then follow normal (re)qualification rules as outlined here:
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ils/index.html
Thanks!

Indeed still in the first year. Too bad the 15,000 miles do not count - but the 37,500 should be doable. Just one thing I could not find back in the link/wiki, is whether 2nd year also has the requirement of TK flights only for those 37,500 miles? It would be much easier if flying other *A airlines would count too.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Thanks!

Indeed still in the first year. Too bad the 15,000 miles do not count - but the 37,500 should be doable. Just one thing I could not find back in the link/wiki, is whether 2nd year also has the requirement of TK flights only for those 37,500 miles? It would be much easier if flying other *A airlines would count too.
No worries, for the 37,500 miles you can use any Star Alliance carrier. Just keep an eye on the booking classes, for example Lufthansa P class does not earn any miles in the Miles&Smiles program.
You can find the partner earning charts here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...gram-partners/
Romanianflyer and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
No worries, for the 37,500 miles you can use any Star Alliance carrier. Just keep an eye on the booking classes, for example Lufthansa P class does not earn any miles in the Miles&Smiles program.
You can find the partner earning charts here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...gram-partners/
Great, as I have for sure an upcoming trip later in the year to the US/Canada which will probably in J (and AC seems to have good tariffs and I'm curious trying them out - if only for the great J lounge they have at YYZ for long-haul flights with a la carte dining).

With the exception of a flight I took today which was poor on all fronts from food to crew, all my TK experiences have been great (especially the two op-ups I got in one year were appreciated). But as I fly TK mainly on short to medium haul to second tier destinations not often served by other airlines, a bit more flexibility with airline choices is appreciated for the real long-haul flights to mix things up a bit!

And yeap, I know about the sweet spots as well as about the ones to avoid! Lufthansa P is a classic and a reason why I (and many with me) never fly with ze Germans - in economy it isn't much better. Ethiopian P is another such example to avoid - although economy earns quite decent (although not as good as with my old *A FF programme of Aegean M+B!)
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
why I (and many with me) never fly with ze Germans - in economy it isn't much better
big exception is their premium economy fare bucket that gets 125% on TK M&S. I found a really decent RT fare to Shanghai a few years back.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Jun 26, 2019 at 12:22 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
If I collected 25,000 miles in the first year, when is the expiration date of my card changed?
Now, or in 2020?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tomwro
If I collected 25,000 miles in the first year, when is the expiration date of my card changed?
Now, or in 2020?
It would be extended another two years, weeks before your Elite status would expire.
Just be sure that the app or the website shows %100 on the percentage circle where it shows if you requalified for your status.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
I'm just not sure what it looks like. I'll explain what's going on.

I joined Miles Smiles on June 12, 2016, I used the status match, I met the conditions.
In 2018, my status was extended for another two years, until 30 June 2020. The first year - until 30 June 2019. A few days ago, the option of a circle for the first year has disappeared. Now the circle shows me how many miles I have to get in two years. The problem is that a lot of status miles (nearly 12,000) I got on June 20 and June 29.

It seems that the system recognizes my two years from June 12, 2018 to June 12, 2020, and not as it is shown from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2020. On the other hand, I can not buy status miles today because I did not finish my first Elite year.

I would rather be sure that the conditions were met, but I see that it is not so easy in Miles Smiles.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:25 pm

New B787 seatmap

I have searched far and wide, perused seatguru and scoured every picture that has been made available to see the new 787's business class window seats to see if it's odd numbered seats or even numbered seats that are closer to the window and cannot find the answer.

Anyone?

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Looks to be the even rows. As always, some will have a better view than others, windows don’t always match up with the seat too well.

This popped up here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31244416-post56.html
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Looks to be the even rows. As always, some will have a better view than others, windows don’t always match up with the seat too well.

This popped up here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31244416-post56.html
Super, thank you
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:04 pm

Aircraft - Cape Town - Istanbul and Istanbul - Manchester

Hi, I know that it’s not a given but does anyone know what aircraft normally fly these routes? I’ll be flying in J. It’s my first time flying TK and would be grateful if anyone has flown these routes to share their experience. I’ll be flying with my mother who will require wheelchair assistance. Thank you.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Hanah
Hi, I know that it’s not a given but does anyone know what aircraft normally fly these routes? I’ll be flying in J. It’s my first time flying TK and would be grateful if anyone has flown these routes to share their experience. I’ll be flying with my mother who will require wheelchair assistance. Thank you.
Take a look at the Seat Guru website. You should be able to find out the usual aircraft for these routes on there. I flew IST-BHX earlier this year and I think I was on an A321. The J seats and service were good for a shorthaul flight.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hanah
CPT will be A330 lie-flat, for sure.
MAN depends on the flight. TK1993 seems to get A321 with recliner seats, TK1995 seems to get a mix of A321 and A330, sometimes with lie-flat seats. I would expect recliners though - then you can't be disappointed

You can also check the seatmap in your booking on the TK website and refer to the Wiki in this thread: The Complete Guide to the Turkish Airlines Fleet
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Take a look at the Seat Guru website. You should be able to find out the usual aircraft for these routes on there. I flew IST-BHX earlier this year and I think I was on an A321. The J seats and service were good for a shorthaul flight.
Thank you so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.