Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 336
When flights are not full, does TK keep seats empty next to Elite members or people travelling with infants?
No, TK does not have theoretical seating at any kind.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Ok, I am having a very very newbie question but getting confused with myself for a sec and just want to make sure my rationale is correct. Any help is appreciated

I did a bunch of J flying on TK in Dec 2018. This yielded a fair amount of miles, so in Feb 2019 I hit the 80k miles and became ElitePlus. My "expiry date" as per the app is 28 Feb 2021.

Question: do I have to worry about the Dec2018 / Jan 2019 miles?
Is the requirement to renew doing 40k miles from From Feb 2019 (I guess from the moment I upgraded, but lets say from 28 Feb 2019) to Feb 2020 or is the requirement netting 40k in a calendar year (in other words would miles earned in say 20 Dec 2018 expire on 21 Dec 2019 and thus increase the counter "The amount of Miles to Maitain Status" on the app?

In other words if I sit still will this counter ( "The amount of Miles to Maitain Status" ) ever go up? Or do I essentially just need to fly 30k miles more (as per the app) and I requalify? I've nearly 40k worth of travel until the end of the year but if these Dec 2018 miles expire then it is in vain.

I think I'm confused with the requirement to upgrade which required 80k in a year period.

Again, am I severely confusing things? :-D
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Is the requirement to renew doing 40k miles from From Feb 2019 (I guess from the moment I upgraded, but lets say from 28 Feb 2019) to Feb 2020
Congratulations on E+!

It’s either 40k during that time frame or 60k between Feb. 2019 - Feb. 2021. Either will requalify you for E+
ricardojrsousa and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I am so sorry to ask such a basic question, but I really can't find a clear answer anywhere.

How can you calculate the number of Status Miles you'll earn for any particular flight? I see the earning charts for TK and all the rest, but these appear to be regular/redeemable miles, not status miles.

I have credited two flights so far in TK's program and can't reverse-engineer how they came up with the status miles earned, in relation to the redeemable miles. I also want to do the math forward on future itineraries.

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Congratulations on E+!

It’s either 40k during that time frame or 60k between Feb. 2019 - Feb. 2021. Either will requalify you for E+
Thank you.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeem
I am so sorry to ask such a basic question, but I really can't find a clear answer anywhere.

How can you calculate the number of Status Miles you'll earn for any particular flight? I see the earning charts for TK and all the rest, but these appear to be regular/redeemable miles, not status miles.

I have credited two flights so far in TK's program and can't reverse-engineer how they came up with the status miles earned, in relation to the redeemable miles. I also want to do the math forward on future itineraries.

Thanks so much!
Unless something changed the status and redeemable miles used to be the same amount (sometimes +-1 which I attributed to some glitch). At least on TK/LX/TP flights which is what I do regularly.

Question that might help us help: what was the operating airline and class of flight (letter code) so that one can try and calculate? Also if you go on the website or app into Miles Statement do you see two different amounts for status and bonus?

I never had any particular issue myself but TK can messup crediting some times so that is an option
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
I am planning to book Turkish Airlines from BOM to MIA, RT this month in Economy. I see that the award space is available and the ticket is costing 34K miles each way (total 68K miles) + $293 booking fees. I have Citi TYPs and Prestige, so I can transfer TYP to Miles and Smiles and book the ticket.
Following are my Qs:
1. Should I use Turkish miles to book this award ticket or any other partner airline miles would give a better value?
2. I am booking this ticket for my MIL. The Turkish site says that an award ticket can be booked for someone else. However, this information was last updated in 2015, so just want to confirm if its ok to book the award ticket for someone else.
3. Is it better to do cash booking which is about $1100 using CSR or Prestige?
TIA for your response.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SVUS
I am planning to book Turkish Airlines from BOM to MIA, RT this month in Economy. I see that the award space is available and the ticket is costing 34K miles each way (total 68K miles) + $293 booking fees. I have Citi TYPs and Prestige, so I can transfer TYP to Miles and Smiles and book the ticket.
Following are my Qs:
1. Should I use Turkish miles to book this award ticket or any other partner airline miles would give a better value?
2. I am booking this ticket for my MIL. The Turkish site says that an award ticket can be booked for someone else. However, this information was last updated in 2015, so just want to confirm if its ok to book the award ticket for someone else.
3. Is it better to do cash booking which is about $1100 using CSR or Prestige?
TIA for your response.
1. United may give you a better amount in taxes.
2. Yes, you could book an award ticket for someone else.
3. It's up to you.
SVUS likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much!
Unless stated and unless there is an ongoing promo, status miles, and bonus mile earnings are the same at TK Miles&Smiles.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan75K, BASilver
Miles&Smiles vs. Aeroplan

Hello All,

I have been recently flying Turkish quite a bit to Africa and planning to do so to India as well and on business class. I am also really fed up with Air Canada's aeroplan (am a Elite 75K now). I am seriously thinking of switching to Miles&Smiles. Any advice?

Thanks,

Srikanth
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smangalam
Hello All,

I have been recently flying Turkish quite a bit to Africa and planning to do so to India as well and on business class. I am also really fed up with Air Canada's aeroplan (am a Elite 75K now). I am seriously thinking of switching to Miles&Smiles. Any advice?

Thanks,

Srikanth
To help you further, can you please provide the reason why you want to switch to Miles&Smiles.

You would need to start from the beginning status ( Classic ) and you won't be able to cross-match benefits ( using AC*G extra bag allowance, lounge access and crediting miles to TK ) most of the time when flying Y.

The sole advantage of M&S would be earning miles on ultra-discount Y fares on TK, the two free upgrades for Elite Plus members and family access to lounges at IST.
Otherwise, there are no other benefits compared to AC*G.

Also, there is no lifetime status at M&S (currently) while there is in Aeroplan ( 1m miles since joining ).
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan75K, BASilver
Thank you so much. Makes it difficult but may have to stay with AC then.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unless stated and unless there is an ongoing promo, status miles, and bonus mile earnings are the same at TK Miles&Smiles.
Thank you very much!

I did SE Asia to IST in K class on TK (marketed and operated by TK), and earned 1000 fewer status miles than redeemable miles. I can't figure out why. I didn't register for any promos, and in fact only registered for the M&S program a few hours before the flight.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much!

I did SE Asia to IST in K class on TK (marketed and operated by TK), and earned 1000 fewer status miles than redeemable miles. I can't figure out why. I didn't register for any promos, and in fact only registered for the M&S program a few hours before the flight.
Then 1000 miles would be your welcome bonus.
SkyTeem and ricardojrsousa like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
Hey,

does anyone know if/when the prices for the domestic Business class flights will drop again? Google flights ist showing all the domestic prices are very high right now. They were a lot lower before May 19.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.