The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by GlenP
Sorry to have to ask, but I'm looking to book the inaugural IST - LXR service, in late September, and I've decided to overnight in Istanbul on the 22nd, so as to avoid the risk of missing the morning MAN - IST flight, on 23/09 due to the rush hour traffic through the M61 - M60 - M62 junctions, that has got worse since they introduced the "Smart Motorway"; rush hour actually starts at approximately 06:00 and it can take over 1/5 hours to cover less than 20 miles.

I've booked the Airport Pullman, for a ridiculously low rate, thanks to using some of the Le Club points I've acquired over the years, but I'll need to partake of late check-out.

I've only ever transited airside at IST and need to know if there's a maximum time before your flight departs when they will let you into departures and airside? I know that Egyptian airports, who've had the same sort of security arrangements as are now reported at IST, i.e. scanning before entering the terminal, in addition to the normal scans, and they only permit entry to departures as the check-in desk open for your flight, so I don't want to be stood outside the terminal, like a spare part, waiting to be able to enter.

Additionally, can anyone advise on whether I'll have to collect my luggage and check it in again the next day, even if the flights are booked on a single ticket?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide answers to these questions.
You do know that you may not fly from Ataturk airport, right? You may need to keep this in mind for your hotel choices.
Now on the other question, they are not checking tickets when entering the airport terminal. Bags can be checked through.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
Already confirmed with TK that the LXR service will definitely be from IST, not ISL, before booking the hotel, which can be cancelled anyway (can't use points for non-changeable. cancelable bookings).

Thanks for the other info.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by GlenP
Already confirmed with TK that the LXR service will definitely be from IST, not ISL, before booking the hotel, which can be cancelled anyway (can't use points for non-changeable. cancelable bookings).

Thanks for the other info.
You are welcome, and not to quibble but there are zero guarantees on where a flight in September may or may not depart from. If someone at TK said "definitely" they were economical with the truth.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
True, but I can cancel and change the hotel booking as needed, and get the Le Club points refunded, so, with luck, I'll be able to rebook and still pay the princely sum of £1.29 for B&B in a suite, with lounge access
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the suggestion.

At first TK site did not recognize the ticket number either. However several hours after Air Canada issued the tickets TK site was updated. Then after it "dismissed" the PNR, it then had a couple refleshing of screen and finally gave me the screen with the box changed to Ticket Number - then it recognized the eticket number and pulled up the reservation which shows the TK segments are intact.
It took me a while to figure out how to change the seats which AC system had done the pre-assignment. Eventually it worked.
How come the seat selections on TK site did not stick? I was going over the segments of the itinerary with each partner last night and saw our seats were reverted back to how Aeroplan system auto-selected for us and somewhat crazy as both were aisle seats on the same row, so one on the 2 window section and on the 3 middle section. I knew I did use the Save button last time.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
UA cancelled their interline agreement with SV, which is why the website doesn't work anymore for 016 tickets. However, no issues with tickets issued by other carriers (e.g. TK, AC).
Thanks for the info. AA's 001 ticket does not work either, may be for the same reason.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Dees TK consider flight between IST and any EU member states as international or "domastic"? Can somebody shed some light on that? Thank you!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
International. Domestic would only be within Turkey.
MitjaPod likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:39 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am an Elite Plus member, so I get 2 upgrade vouchers per membership year.
In the last statement that was emailed back in November before the system upgrade, it said: "Elite Plus Membership Start Date 09.06.2018" (which was my 1st membership year).
Now, in the app it doesn't say anymore when the membership year started but it says "xxx miles required to maintain status by 30 June 2019".

I am trying to figure out when I will get the 2 upgrade vouchers for my second membership year. Will it be 1st June 2019 or 30th June 2019?
Hoping that anyone has any experience with this ;-)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Will it be 1st June 2019 or 30th June 2019?
First half of JUL 2019
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: TK*G
On TK's website, it lists my expiry date as Nov 29, 2020, whereas my physical credentials say 12/20. TK's website seems to be calculating my miles needed to renew status from November as well. Should I chalk this up to a TK IT bug, or should I go with what's listed online for renewal? I have a decent sum of miles from December that would be nice to apply to my renewal if possible.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Upgrading

I have a flight coming up LHR- IST-TNR, I would like if poss to upgrade the IST-TNR segment, (looks like 45,000 miles). However on the TK website about rules for upgrading it says that passengers should have a valid confirmed Y ticket (which I have) ..
​​​​​​But that's it. No other info.
I've done a search on this forum but nothing came up. Can some explain how it works.
Thanks

Last edited by ironmouse; Feb 4, 2019 at 6:45 am Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ironmouse
I have a flight coming up LHR- IST-TNR, I would like if poss to upgrade the IST-TNR segment, (looks like 45,000 miles). However on the TK website about rules for upgrading it says that passengers should have a valid confirmed Y ticket (which I have) ..
​​​​​​But that's it. No other info.
I've done a search on this forum but nothing came up. Can some explain how it works.
Thanks
Upgrades cannot be made via the TK website, they could only be done via the call center, a local sales office or at the check-in desks depending on availability.
If you are using expertflyer, you could check if there is availability for upgrades by looking at the J fare class availability.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Thank you ISTF flyer, much clearer know.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:14 pm

Hey everyone,

Couldn't find direct info on this, so hopefully this is the right forum and an acceptable request:

If anybody who has enough miles&smiles points (45000) could let me know what the fuel surcharge is for a one way award business class ticket on TK6 from Chicago to Istanbul in April, I'd appreciate it. The availability is wide open, for example any day 4/20-4/23. It seems to be around $175-200 from seeing others posts, but trying to get confirmation.

Trying to figure out if a point transfer to miles&smiles is worth it with the fuel surcharge vs waiting for potential award flight release to book it on partner sites, such as aeroplan, without the surcharge.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by empteh
Hey everyone,

Couldn't find direct info on this, so hopefully this is the right forum and an acceptable request:

If anybody who has enough miles&smiles points (45000) could let me know what the fuel surcharge is for a one way award business class ticket on TK6 from Chicago to Istanbul in April, I'd appreciate it. The availability is wide open, for example any day 4/20-4/23. It seems to be around $175-200 from seeing others posts, but trying to get confirmation.

Trying to figure out if a point transfer to miles&smiles is worth it with the fuel surcharge vs waiting for potential award flight release to book it on partner sites, such as aeroplan, without the surcharge.

Thanks in advance!
It's 170.20 USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.