Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
To Jan@BRU:
my first TK flight was 20 May 2018, I reached Classic Plus 14 September and Elite 03 Ocober with 46.219 status miles sofar. Thus I will need 34k additional miles before 20 May 2019 to reach Elite plus, not sure I will get that far, no more trips planned for now...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:46 am

Talking TK Upgrades with status

Hello! New here. I am interested about getting status with TK since I live close to Miami and travel oversees often. I read about the 2 upgrade certificates.
My question is what are the upgrade probabilities just for having status (not using the certificates)

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by traderlatino
Hello! New here. I am interested about getting status with TK since I live close to Miami and travel oversees often. I read about the 2 upgrade certificates.
My question is what are the upgrade probabilities just for having status (not using the certificates)

Thanks!
For what I know, close to none, unless it's for operational reasons.
Also, the 2 upgrade certificates come with Elite+ status, 80K miles in 12 months to reach and 40K per year, or 60K every 2 year, to maintain.

P.S.
Welcome on FT
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
For what I know, close to none, unless it's for operational reasons.
Also, the 2 upgrade certificates come with Elite+ status, 80K miles in 12 months to reach and 40K per year, or 60K every 2 year, to maintain.

P.S.
Welcome on FT
Thanks Lefly!

Can you, or someone else, give me an idea of the miles earned doing MIA-IST-BKK rt? My calculations are close to 29k with Clasic status.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:45 am

Which class?
If business (K,J,Z), the TK mileage calculator in the account page gives a total of 28690
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:42 am

Yes, Biz

So what status could I get just for that round-trip flight?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by traderlatino
Yes, Biz

So what status could I get just for that round-trip flight?
Classic Plus / Star Alliance Silver (25K needed in 12 months to qualify)
Here you can find all the info you may need about status tier requirements https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-b...ils/index.html
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:53 pm

are E+ vouchers just for the card holder? I'd like to know if somebody has managed to upgrade a 3rd party using them.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Glarus
are E+ vouchers just for the card holder? I'd like to know if somebody has managed to upgrade a 3rd party using them.
They only work for the card holder, sorry.
Glarus likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

A tad over a month for my first flight on TK. I know what happens with TK when things go south....so I am preparing as best as I can.

If one of flights is delayed and I miss my connection I first have to get that re booked for the next day (only 1 flight a day to my destinations), Where would I find the desk to get this done? I am in J if that makes difference and have read stories about pax being given the run around so I want to make sure I know where to go.

I know TK will give me a hotel in case of a missed connection, is this the same desk that is outside of customs,make a right and past starbucks that will do this?

What happens to my checked bag?

I already have a Turkish visa just in case and have a English Turkish translator on my phone.

Finally the thing that bothers me the most are the reviews about TK ground staff and how rude and unfriendly they are, is this really true (I understand that some of these pax are divas)

TIA
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
If one of flights is delayed and I miss my connection I first have to get that re booked for the next day (only 1 flight a day to my destinations), Where would I find the desk to get this done? I am in J if that makes difference and have read stories about pax being given the run around so I want to make sure I know where to go.
Find the transfer desk, it has a section for business/elite pax. I read of people getting helped at the lounge desk as well, but haven’t tried that myself.

I know TK will give me a hotel in case of a missed connection, is this the same desk that is outside of customs,make a right and past starbucks that will do this?
Yes!

What happens to my checked bag?
The one time I lost my connection, it just stayed with them and arrived at the destination with me.

Finally the thing that bothers me the most are the reviews about TK ground staff and how rude and unfriendly they are, is this really true (I understand that some of these pax are divas)
Let us know what your impression is!
I think some of it is cultural: Turkey ain’t no Singapore, and some of it stems from the fact that people have a tendency to treat staff like furniture or inferior.

There are bound to be some ground staff at IST who genuinely don’t give a ****, but I haven’t met any of them yet.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
A tad over a month for my first flight on TK. I know what happens with TK when things go south....so I am preparing as best as I can.

TIA
If in J and missed your flight then go to TK lounge and they will take care of you. Do it as quickly as possible.
You don’t necessarily have to wait for the next day flight but they can reroute you via a transit. E. g., missed your flight to BKK then get rerouted via SIN on a IST-SIN-BKK route
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Good morning all.

New to TK/*A. I am looking to likely defect from OW after many years, and trying to understand the best options for my particular travel needs. I have initially been looking at getting Star Gold with A3. However, one of the main routes that I would take per year would be from the UK to South Africa (at least twice a year). The lowest earning rate on SAA gets me 0 miles with A3 but does earn with TK.

I have not yet signed up for a Miles+Smiles account, so can’t check award flights, but used the table referred to in the wiki and the owenrudge mileage calculator. With all of the above said, could someone more used to TK just confirm for me that I have got my calculations correct.

* For Miles+Smiles Elite I would need to earn 40,000 miles in the first year (I assume the year runs from the day your join Miles+Smiles?)
* The Elite status lasts for 2 years
* As I am not based in Turkey, I would need to earn 25,000 in the first year to renew Elite status, which would then kick in for another 2 years
* If I did not earn the required miles, I would drop to Classic Plus after 2 years (would the Classic Plus then be for a year?)

* A return LHR-IST-JNB on TK in economy booked into Q class would earn 12,392 miles - so, 2 of those per year only would mean that I would retain Elite status (with some short hop somewhere to earn the 216 shortfall)?

* An award ticket in J from the UK to South Africa would be 90,000 miles (does anyone know what the taxes would be?) ? Can that be on TK (LHR-IST-CPT/JNB) or would it have to be on a more direct service like SAA?

* Lastly what is award availability like with TK in J? I know in a previous life when I had a lot of miles with SAA that to redeem a *A award, I could never get availability with TK. I would generally get space with SA, LX, LH, ET but there was never availability with TK - is availability better for Miles+Smiles members?

If I have made any glaring mistakes, or you can advise on any of the questions, I would be most grateful.

Last edited by wijibintheair; Oct 28, 2018 at 5:23 am Reason: Correcting information
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Good morning all.

New to TK/*A. I am looking to likely defect from OW after many years, and trying to understand the best options for my particular travel needs. I have initially been looking at getting Star Gold with A3. However, one of the main routes that I would take per year would be from the UK to South Africa (at least twice a year). The lowest earning rate on SAA gets me 0 miles with A3 but does earn with TK.

<snip>

If I have made any glaring mistakes, or you can advise on any of the questions, I would be most grateful.
No, you are pretty spot on. AFAIK if you drop one mebership level it is for another 2 years. You can check taxes by making a dummy booking. You can use miles on TK or any other *A carrier, provided you can find space. As with all programmes certain routes/periods get snapped up quickly. Not sure how many seats SA opens up on the popular LHR-JNB route.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by starflyergold
No, you are pretty spot on. AFAIK if you drop one mebership level it is for another 2 years. You can check taxes by making a dummy booking. You can use miles on TK or any other *A carrier, provided you can find space. As with all programmes certain routes/periods get snapped up quickly. Not sure how many seats SA opens up on the popular LHR-JNB route.
Thank you very much for your reply. I think TK might be the way to go. What has your experience been with being able to redeem award bookings in J for flights actually on TK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.