Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Elite
Status match from TK

Question:
Does anyone know which Skyteam/Oneworld airline accept status match from TK elite? Thanks!

The only one I know is the programme offered by Malaysia Airlines requiring quite a lot of miles transfer in its challenge which makes it inapplicable for me.

Last edited by wp109; Aug 17, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
You can not transit via IST and not buy Baklava, that would be criminal.

Which is the best place at the airport to buy it and how much should I expect to pay, also can I use my CC or USD? TIA.
I can’t remember exactly, but around EUR 20 for a little box. May have been 25, but EUR for sure and that at various IST shops over the years and none was worse than the others. They also won’t hesitate to swipe your CC for a second.
non olet!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by wp109
Does anyone know which Skyteam/Oneworld airline accept status match from TK elite? Thanks!
StatusMatcher | Obtain Elite Travel Status

Shuly
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF gold, AF/KL platinum, exMA gold :( exSK gold
Hello
I am looking for historical dara of aircraft registration 18 July 2018, BUD-IST, TK1038.
Thank you
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by LHKE
Hello
I am looking for historical dara of aircraft registration 18 July 2018, BUD-IST, TK1038.
Thank you
that was TC-JGI
LHKE likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Apologies if this has been covered before but I did a forum search and could not find an answer. I have Y ticked booked in fare bucket W and would like to upgrade to J. I checked and J fare class is available for day of flight. However the upgrade table here https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...-smiles/awards states miles required for upgrade on North America to IST route as 45,000, are these for round trip ? (I am guessing, no but the confusing verbiage in T&C under upgrade section (The Mile values shown in the tables also apply for one-way tickets.) isn't doing any favors).

How about if I buy / transfer TK miles to my M & S, can those miles be used for upgrade. (I am guessing yes, but wanted to confirm).

And finally, does YQ apply on upgrades ?

Last edited by rtgta; Aug 22, 2018 at 4:49 pm Reason: added Q
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by rtgta
Apologies if this has been covered before but I did a forum search and could not find an answer. I have Y ticked booked in fare bucket W and would like to upgrade to J. I checked and J fare class is available for day of flight. However the upgrade table here https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...-smiles/awards states miles required for upgrade on North America to IST route as 45,000, are these for round trip ? (I am guessing, no but the confusing verbiage in T&C under upgrade section (The Mile values shown in the tables also apply for one-way tickets.) isn't doing any favors).

How about if I buy / transfer TK miles to my M & S, can those miles be used for upgrade. (I am guessing yes, but wanted to confirm).

And finally, does YQ apply on upgrades ?
- 45k is OW only (return would be sweet, but no)
- bought or transferred miles will work for upgrades
- you’ve already paid for the fees/taxes with your ticket and won’t be charged any more

Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

- 45k is OW only (return would be sweet, but no)
- bought or transferred miles will work for upgrades
- you’ve already paid for the fees/taxes with your ticket and won’t be charged any more

So same amount of miles are required for an upgrade as they would originally be required without a ticket, well played TK, well played.

Thank you for your response though.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:28 am

DXB-IST-DXB for NOV 30-DEC 3 (dummy dates) in J is approx 3035 USD. Same flight as an award ticket is 35,000 miles for limited space and 70,000 miles for guaranteed space. Turkish Airlines allows anyone to buy up to 50,000 miles/yr for 30 USD/1,000 miles.

The tax rate is 132 USD for these airports. As such, even a newbie with 0 miles, can buy 35,000 miles for 1,050 USD, pay the 132 USD tax and have the chance to fly a 3,035 USD flight for 1,182 USD. A 61% discount without any prerequisite for history with the airline or mileage program.

Is my calculation above correct? Am I missing something?

Also, when does one know if there is a seat available for them when they buy a limited space award ticket? Is it uncertain all the way up to the moment of departure? Do you go to the airport not knowing if you will fly or not?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ktosayev
DXB-IST-DXB for NOV 30-DEC 3 (dummy dates) in J is approx 3035 USD. Same flight as an award ticket is 35,000 miles for limited space and 70,000 miles for guaranteed space. Turkish Airlines allows anyone to buy up to 50,000 miles/yr for 30 USD/1,000 miles.

The tax rate is 132 USD for these airports. As such, even a newbie with 0 miles, can buy 35,000 miles for 1,050 USD, pay the 132 USD tax and have the chance to fly a 3,035 USD flight for 1,182 USD. A 61% discount without any prerequisite for history with the airline or mileage program.

Is my calculation above correct? Am I missing something?

Also, when does one know if there is a seat available for them when they buy a limited space award ticket? Is it uncertain all the way up to the moment of departure? Do you go to the airport not knowing if you will fly or not?
If this is Guaranteed space then go for it !
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:12 am

It's not guaranteed, it's limited space only. Guaranteed would not be possible because it requires 70K and only 50K can be bought. Nevertheless, for someone who is flexible, a chance of this discount is not bad. But it raises the question:

1) When do you know you can fly or not when you get a limited space ticket?
2) If you don't get to fly, does everything get refunded (miles and tax) or do you just get put on another flight?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ktosayev
It's not guaranteed, it's limited space only. Guaranteed would not be possible because it requires 70K and only 50K can be bought. Nevertheless, for someone who is flexible, a chance of this discount is not bad. But it raises the question:

1) When do you know you can fly or not when you get a limited space ticket?
2) If you don't get to fly, does everything get refunded (miles and tax) or do you just get put on another flight?
The only difference between “limited” and “guaranteed” awards are availability and amount of miles. Limited books into “I” fare bucket, guaranteed is available if anything is open in the J cabin.

Once you are ticketed, even your “limited” seat is yours no matter what. You get to fly.

Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Execclub G, Flying Blue S, One Pass E, Skywards G, Voyager B. AVIS PC and counting
United Miles to upgrade on Turkish Airlines

HI,
Can I use United Miles to upgrade a Turkish Airlines flight?
i've searched their website but can't find a way to do it.
any help appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:17 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by wowbagga
HI,
Can I use United Miles to upgrade a Turkish Airlines flight?
i've searched their website but can't find a way to do it.
any help appreciated.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...de-awards.html

For more details I'd suggest asking the kind folks of the United forum
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I set up a new Turkish account and transferred some miles over. When I try and book a award ticket on the final page my nominees are greyed out so I can't select them. Have checked their information is correct including passport info.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to give it some time after updating them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.