The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:03 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Thank you very much for your reply. I think TK might be the way to go. What has your experience been with being able to redeem award bookings in J for flights actually on TK?
IMHO it is not worse than others. Worth keeping in mind is that upgrading a cheap economy ticket to business can be easier.
wijibintheair and gr8pirate like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I am looking at flights for next Sep and currently they are showing 3 reward seats. I need 4. What are the chances of me grabbing 3 now and getting one more later?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I am looking at flights for next Sep and currently they are showing 3 reward seats. I need 4. What are the chances of me grabbing 3 now and getting one more later?
I don't know if/how TK dole out award inventory over time. Certain routes are almost impossible to find award inventory on, which one are you looking at?

If you have already decided to use TK for that trip anyway, I'd suggest you nail down those three with the understanding that there is a real possibility you may have to buy the fourth.

quoting Terry Pratchett pseudolatin here, but it applies:
acquiris quodcumquae rapis - you get what you grab
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Thank you very much for your reply. I think TK might be the way to go. What has your experience been with being able to redeem award bookings in J for flights actually on TK?
Smallest nitpick I could find in all your research, wanted to make sure this doesn't throw you as it's confusing.

On the FT TK forum, we tend to refer to business class as J, but:

business class AWARD bookings go into the "I" fare bucket, whereas UPGRADES to business (using miles or E+ vouchers) book into the "J" fare bucket.

On the route I usually look at, "I" is almost nonexistent, whereas "J" is merely challenging to find.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
I don't know if/how TK dole out award inventory over time. Certain routes are almost impossible to find award inventory on, which one are you looking at?
MLE
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:09 am

brand new Classic member to Elite Plus member

I have an essential question. If I am a new applied TK Classic member with zero mile. And assume receive 80K status miles in two months, do I get the Elite Plus directly (based on website 80K required in one year)?

Or has to be subsequently, earn Classic Plus after 25K miles, then another 40K miles for Elite, then another 80K miles for Elite Plus, which requires at least 145K from zero to Elite Plus?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by mattchench
I have an essential question. If I am a new applied TK Classic member with zero mile. And assume receive 80K status miles in two months, do I get the Elite Plus directly (based on website 80K required in one year)?

Or has to be subsequently, earn Classic Plus after 25K miles, then another 40K miles for Elite, then another 80K miles for Elite Plus, which requires at least 145K from zero to Elite Plus?

Thanks in advance
It goes in stages but not in the way you think. After 25k you get C+, at 40k Elite, and at 80k Elite+. It is 80k in the preceding 12 months, so if you manage this in 2 months, you get Elite+ with 80k. You will get a number of shiny cards in short succession.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by starflyergold
It goes in stages but not in the way you think. After 25k you get C+, at 40k Elite, and at 80k Elite+. It is 80k in the preceding 12 months, so if you manage this in 2 months, you get Elite+ with 80k. You will get a number of shiny cards in short succession.
I also have a question on this front. Taking the above example, I have now reached 40k for Elite status after 2 months. Does my Elite status period of 2 years start from the day I reach Elite status, or is it like BA, where the benefits kick in, but the 2 years (1 year in the BA case) starts at the end of the qualifying year, effectively making it 2 years and 10 months of status?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:04 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I also have a question on this front. Taking the above example, I have now reached 40k for Elite status after 2 months. Does my Elite status period of 2 years start from the day I reach Elite status, or is it like BA, where the benefits kick in, but the 2 years (1 year in the BA case) starts at the end of the qualifying year, effectively making it 2 years and 10 months of status?
2 years from when you reach the new status.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
2 years from when you reach the new status.
thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:06 am

For the upgrade awards on Turkish Airlines (not *A) I am a little confused by 2 things. There are a few references to "last minute" upgrades - does this mean that you can only upgrade at the last minute if there is still J class available? Or can you upgrade at any time once your ticket is issued as long as J class is available? Also it says:
  • The Mile values shown in the tables also apply for one-way tickets.
So, on the upgrade chart is says Europe 2 to South Africa is 45,000 miles - does this mean that it would be 45,000 miles to upgrade a ticket LHR-IST-JNB-IST-LHR and that even if you did LHR-IST-JNB one way the mileage required would still be 45,000, or does it mean you would need 45,000 one way and 90,000 for an LHR-IST-JNB-IST-LHR ticket?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:03 pm

Does anyone know, does Turkish give amenity kits out on European flights (LHR) in economy? Will they if you request one?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by pafnyc
Does anyone know, does Turkish give amenity kits out on European flights (LHR) in economy? Will they if you request one?
I flew LHR-IST in J on the 2200 'night flight' in August and don't remember getting an amenity kit. So it's unlikely you will get one in Y. I didn't ask, however, so if you do ask you may be able to get something.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by pafnyc
You don't even get one in business. Kids get something though.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:25 pm

thanks for the replies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.