Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, HH
Totally new to M&S program, but had great experience flying TK before on UA miles.

Looking to book an award ticket ORD-IST-MSQ in J. Both legs available separately at Business Limited level (45K and 15K), but when I try to book them as one ticket - website shows nothing available. Would 20hr IST connection cause this? Is the only way to book this trip is to book 2 separate tickets? Also, is there an easy way to estimate taxes/ fees for this itin?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:54 am

This could be a married segments issue: each segment may be available, but not the two of them as one itinerary. This happens a lot with TK, on various booking classes. Check what happens when you ry to book this itinerary as a revenue ticket (J is also a bucket for paid tickets).

As for taxes, if you can book an award, the website will tell you exactly how much taxes are. You may want to check different dates just to estimate the taxes.

Shuly
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, HH
In case this will be helpful to someone: ended up calling TK, had much better luck talking to the Turkish call center (+90 number). They were able to book 3 tickets all the way through ORD-IST-MSQ for 45K miles, then I got the last one as 2 separate tickets ORD-IST and IST-MSQ for 45K+15K. Technically, savings of 45K miles (right about what I missed by waiting too long to transfer from Citi and missing 25% bonus).

Taxes and fees are a killer, though. Almost $1k for 4 tickets.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:47 pm

New to the forum, searching for airline ticket to go to China late summer, reddit took me here.

Anyway, looking up a route ORD-NRT-CAN, UA reward 70k+$40+, it is over $4k for 3 tickets, anyway to lower the cost?

I have about 120k UR with CSP/CF, no luck searching in their portal. anytime in September, plan to stay for 3 weeks
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by teddyat1305
New to the forum, searching for airline ticket to go to China late summer, reddit took me here.

Anyway, looking up a route ORD-NRT-CAN, UA reward 70k+$40+, it is over $4k for 3 tickets, anyway to lower the cost?

I have about 120k UR with CSP/CF, no luck searching in their portal. anytime in September, plan to stay for 3 weeks
Welcome to FT,

I think that you are in the wrong forum. This is the "Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles" forum. Your inquiry is related to the "United Mileage Plus" forum where you could find more detailed information about the situation.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:45 pm

Hi, just enrolled in the M&S programme.
This is my first frequent flyer scheme.
I was under the impression there are credit cards that give you a decent amount of points that can be used on M&S, but I can't see any of them available in the UK.
Can anyone name any appropriate cards obtainable by UK residents that are good for M&S?
Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Aston100
Hi, just enrolled in the M&S programme.
This is my first frequent flyer scheme.
I was under the impression there are credit cards that give you a decent amount of points that can be used on M&S, but I can't see any of them available in the UK.
Can anyone name any appropriate cards obtainable by UK residents that are good for M&S?
Thanks
It's not great value, but your best options are American Express cards that convert/send their points to Marriott Bonvoy. From there you can send Marriott points to TK M&S. Right now the Amex Platinum Charge Card, Amex Preferred Rewards Credit Card or Amex SPG Credit Card are the best options that I am aware of. There are no UK cards that convert directly to TK M&S.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:59 am

Wow, so none of those citi bank cards that I read about are applicable as I am a British citizen residing in the UK?
The American Express method sounds a bit fiddly - is it actually straight forward or am I mistaken?

I guess overall, just flying is going to be the simplest method for me in the absence of cards with m&s options?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:08 am

Your advise PLEASE -

The TK website had an issue.
So to lock in the price - I used an agent website to book.
I would now like to extend my stay in IST from 3 days to 5 days.
The agent wants an unrealistic fee ( in my view) - and the agent is slow to respond - why should I pay for bad service ?
The TK website does not let me "manage booking" and the service centre by email said I should contact the agent.
It seem I also have to cancel and rebook my one free night in IST as well - if the leg is amended

Can one "kick the agent off" the ticket ?

I am booked on Economy (V) and it is 62 days before departure

Any advice - Please and Thank you.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by Aston100
Wow, so none of those citi bank cards that I read about are applicable as I am a British citizen residing in the UK?
The American Express method sounds a bit fiddly - is it actually straight forward or am I mistaken?

I guess overall, just flying is going to be the simplest method for me in the absence of cards with m&s options?
Yes, Citibank cards that convert to TK Miles are not available in the UK. The Amex method isn't too fiddly, but I guess it depends how much you want the M&S miles. You can also use hotel sites like RocketMiles to top-up. I think they had a couple of 3000 M&S miles bonus for your first stay offers last year. I can't comment on whether they inflate their room prices to cover the bonuses! But there aren't too many non-flying methods for earning M&S from the UK. Would love others to prove me wrong with routes I don't know about!
Aston100 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I just joined M&S and status match'd to Elite before my first trip to Istanbul next month. I booked Business from LHR-IST and Economy from IST-CPH. Is the only method of upgrading to Business on the IST-CPH leg via miles (15k pp)? I'm assuming opups are rare and likely to only go to Elite Plus members, and as a new member I have no M&S miles. Does TK ever offer discounted paid upgrades day-of-departure from IST? Or only from outstations?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by potus18
Does TK ever offer discounted paid upgrades day-of-departure from IST? Or only from outstations?
No - only out of outstations (there is a seperate thread about the prices).

TK is not elite heavy - op-up's for Elites do happen.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: TK E+
Hello all. I have a trip coming MAD-IST-AYT and I am looking for an upgrade chance. As far as I understand, there should be availability in certain booking classes for upgrade. Does that apply to last minute upgrade at check in as well? Or, for a last minute upgrade, is it enough that there are available seats in business class? Second, as far as I understood from the upgrade chart, 15000 miles will be needed for upgrade. Will both legs be upgraded for 15000 miles or will I have to spend extra miles for the domestic flight IST-AYT?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerkyl
Hello all. I have a trip coming MAD-IST-AYT and I am looking for an upgrade chance. As far as I understand, there should be availability in certain booking classes for upgrade. Does that apply to last minute upgrade at check in as well? Or, for a last minute upgrade, is it enough that there are available seats in business class? Second, as far as I understood from the upgrade chart, 15000 miles will be needed for upgrade. Will both legs be upgraded for 15000 miles or will I have to spend extra miles for the domestic flight IST-AYT?
For last minute upgrades at check-in with Miles&Smiles miles, there is no restriction of available fare classes. An available seat in Business is enough in most of the cases. Only MAD-IST would cost you 15000 miles. You would need to pay an extra 6250 miles ( as I remember ) for the domestic leg. However, operational upgrades in AYT flights are common depending on your status. Mostly all Elite Plus's and some Elite's get upgraded throughout the holiday season especially on flights with aircrafts who have a 2-2 J configuration instead of a 3-3 with a middle seat blocked.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For last minute upgrades at check-in with Miles&Smiles miles, there is no restriction of available fare classes. An available seat in Business is enough in most of the cases. Only MAD-IST would cost you 15000 miles. You would need to pay an extra 6250 miles ( as I remember ) for the domestic leg. However, operational upgrades in AYT flights are common depending on your status. Mostly all Elite Plus's and some Elite's get upgraded throughout the holiday season especially on flights with aircrafts who have a 2-2 J configuration instead of a 3-3 with a middle seat blocked.
Thank you for the reply. I assume upgrading only one leg MAD-IST is possible, right? Another question, given that one leg upgrade is possible, for the return flight AYT-IST-MAD.: Can I upgrade IST-MAD leg at check-in at AYT? Or, will this be only possible at IST? If I have to do this at IST, do I have to apply to check-in desk in IST or can the agents in the lounge handle this? By the way, my status is Elite. Thanks again.

Last edited by flyerkyl; Mar 18, 2019 at 6:38 am Reason: Added status info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.