Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:00 pm

Hi everyone. I have never flown on Turkish before and I'm having some issues. I was supposed to be able to go online today and be allowed to choose my seats. However, a few of our legs of flights are showing WK & SC for the flights, which apparently means cancelled and schedule change. What do I need to do now? I tried calling the customer service line, but after 30 minutes of being on hold, I gave up. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:06 pm

Hi, posted this to the Domestic Lounge thread a while back but got no response and our trip is fast approaching. I'm flying C to DLM thru IST and have a 5-hour layover. It looks like the Arrivals lounge will be closed and we can't access the bigger Departure lounge. Is the Domestic lounge our best option; does it offer decent shower service similar to the other lounges?

Thx!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Does TK accept AMEX card for purchasing tickets online?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Does TK accept AMEX card for purchasing tickets online?
Yes, they do.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by ukthesis
Can you explain more. You say they are in some sense integrated, but then they are not integrated as well. Confusing. Most importantly, how do I use these things? Where do I go to record my miles and then redeem them? Can I redeem them all together (Turkish Airlines and Lufhansa) and how/where?

The phone number given by Turkish Airways at Manchester for queries about Miles and Smiles (0207 471 6666) seems to be semi-permanently disabled. And I just received this (un)helpful reply from Lufthansa to this problem:

"Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines are both members of the Star Alliance but they each have their own frequent traveller programme. We at Miles & More are not familiar with the terms and conditions of other frequent flyer programmes, so we are not in a position to help you with your query. Kindly contact your Miles & Smiles service team; they will be happy to assist you with your request for mileage credit."

I defy anyone without a smile on his face to claim this whole situation is anything but complex and not easy to implement, even if one gets to grips with it in theory. After experiencing Miles and Smiles and now this one, I would advise anyone new to the process to ignore these "frequent flyer" programs, because of all the complications they involve. Just pretend they are not there and go for the cheapest and most convenient flight, in the case of economy class, end of.
If you have a Lufthansa Miles and More membership, you can get miles (on most but not all fares) in your account when you fly other airlines in the Star Alliance. Similarly, if you have a TK Miles and Smiles membership, you can do the same. You cannot merge the 2 balances. To redeem, you need to redeem thru the airline where you have membership. If you check out the Miles and Smiles web pages, you can see which airlines other than TK you can earn miles on.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Quick q for older hands in the Miles & Smiles programme - has anyone received credit for flights taken with AC Rouge? We flew AC HKG-YVR-LAS and back in May (in business/premier Rouge), and had our TK M&S numbers in the bookings. The AC mainline flights HKG-YVR credited automatically within a couple of days, but the AC Rouge flights from YVR-LAS have not. They were ticketed in C (to LAS) and P (from LAS) class. After waiting about 6 weeks, I submitted a missing mileage claim to TK, but have not yet seen credit.

The TK website only references AC Rouge under "economy" flights - is there a credit for AC Rouge in premier/business?
Just to close this out, got an e-mail from TK today confirming credit for our AC Rouge flights - so all sorted in the end.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by vantagebox
Hi, posted this to the Domestic Lounge thread a while back but got no response and our trip is fast approaching. I'm flying C to DLM thru IST and have a 5-hour layover. It looks like the Arrivals lounge will be closed and we can't access the bigger Departure lounge. Is the Domestic lounge our best option; does it offer decent shower service similar to the other lounges?

Thx!
Hi,

You're not eligible to use international DEPARTURE zone upon arrival.

Domestic CIP Lounge has showers and renovated couple of months ago. You can access to showers with your BP.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:21 am

Thx!!!

Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
Hi,

You're not eligible to use international DEPARTURE zone upon arrival.

Domestic CIP Lounge has showers and renovated couple of months ago. You can access to showers with your BP.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Hey guys,

I know I may be being a total idiot but as I've booked for a large group I want to confirm everything.

My ticket says we're allowed 30kg each but on the bottom of the ticket reads "Free baggage allowance is 2 pcs and max dimension of each piece is 158 cm in Business/Comfort and Economy classes. Upper limit of 1 pcs for business baggage is 32 Kg and upper limit of 1 pcs for comfort and economy baggage is 23 Kg. For infants (age between 0-2), free baggage allowance is 1 pcs + 1 pcs of fully collapsible stroller and for each pcs max dimension is 115 cm and max weight is 23 kg."

Does this mean that each bag can be a max of 23kg. So essentially if I wanted to use 30kg I have to split over two bags? Travelling in economy - no status.

Also can I select my seats online before I go? Booked through a UK travel agent.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: SQ, EK, UA
I recently booked a flight on TK, with my SQ FF number added so that I can credit my miles earned to SQ.

I noticed that while my First, Middle, and Last name are all included on my TK reservation, only my First and Last name are on my SQ account. Will that impact the crediting of miles at all, or should I contact TK to remove my middle name from my reservation?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:31 am

This section is supposed to be for Newbies but it's clear that it is used by experienced travellers who know the score on Miles and Smiles. Maybe they should have their own section and reserving this to those of us who are trying to make some sense of this complicated system they have created around Miles and Smiles?

Getting back to the basics, which is what this section is supposed to be about. I was given this phone number by Turkish airlines to call. But I've yet to speak to anyone. It is always suffering "technical problems" when i ring Is this really a scam by Turkish airlines to make us pay for calls they are in reality not going anywhere?

Here is the number I was given:

0207 471 6666
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ukthesis
This section is supposed to be for Newbies but it's clear that it is used by experienced travellers who know the score on Miles and Smiles. Maybe they should have their own section and reserving this to those of us who are trying to make some sense of this complicated system they have created around Miles and Smiles?

Getting back to the basics, which is what this section is supposed to be about. I was given this phone number by Turkish airlines to call. But I've yet to speak to anyone. It is always suffering "technical problems" when i ring Is this really a scam by Turkish airlines to make us pay for calls they are in reality not going anywhere?

Here is the number I was given:

0207 471 6666
Try their Call Centre 0844 800 6666 or maybe ask your question here. Someone might know the answer.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by marconess
Does this mean that each bag can be a max of 23kg. So essentially if I wanted to use 30kg I have to split over two bags? Travelling in economy - no status.

Also can I select my seats online before I go? Booked through a UK travel agent.
Yes, this means that each bag can be a max of 23kg for Y passenger. You have to split over two bags for 30kg.
Originally Posted by marconess
Yes, you can check-in from 24 hours up to 90 minutes prior to the departure time of your flight.

But also, you can select seats from 100 days prior to the departure via Call Center.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jetsetter13
I recently booked a flight on TK, with my SQ FF number added so that I can credit my miles earned to SQ.

I noticed that while my First, Middle, and Last name are all included on my TK reservation, only my First and Last name are on my SQ account. Will that impact the crediting of miles at all, or should I contact TK to remove my middle name from my reservation?
You are not allowed to change name your existing reservation, you have to cancel old one and make a new one.

But, in my recent experience on UA with similar condition was: TA didn't add my middle name for UA flight reservation but I earned my miles to TK account after 48 hours from flight without problem. Check-in supervisor told me "We're interested to add your *A number, name, last name, middle name is not an issue"
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: SQ, EK, UA
Question

Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
You are not allowed to change name your existing reservation, you have to cancel old one and make a new one.

But, in my recent experience on UA with similar condition was: TA didn't add my middle name for UA flight reservation but I earned my miles to TK account after 48 hours from flight without problem. Check-in supervisor told me "We're interested to add your *A number, name, last name, middle name is not an issue"
That's the feedback I got from the TK sales office too. Since I can't just cancel my ticket, I suppose I'll just have to hope my miles post.

It sounds like you didn't have any issues with yours posting, so maybe the system only looks at your last name and the first few letters of one's first name when pulling the miles over.

Does anyone else know how this process works?

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.