Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Smile

Originally Posted by dustman81
As soon as it says "Approved" on your GOES account, start adding the PASSID to the KTN field for your bookings. Also, make sure that the first, middle, and last names as well as the sex and birthdate match between Secure Flight and GOES.

You can use the NEXUS card as ID at all TSA checkpoints and it will get you into the CATSA Trusted Traveler line at Canadian airports.
Thanks! I got verbal approval on Saturday; minutes later, I got the email that my GOES info had been "updated". Got back to a computer and sure enough, it shows "Approved" and now lists a PASSID number as well as three Known Traveler Programs: NEXUS, Global Entry and SENTRI. (That last one surprised me. I was expecting Global Entry to be included with NEXUS, but not SENTRI.)
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by txviking
I understand I need to carry it for international travel, even in those cases where it's not actually used. But for TSA Precheck privileges, there's no such requirement, correct?
At YVR, you have to show your Nexus card to the document checker when entering the security hall to be allowed to enter the Nexus/PreCheck lane. No card, you're going in tye regular line. So while technically, I guess, it isn't a requirement for PreCheck, in practice, at least at YVR, if you don't show the card, you aren't getting into the Pre lane. Not sure about other Canadian airports.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I understand I need to carry it for international travel, even in those cases where it's not actually used. But for TSA Precheck privileges, there's no such requirement, correct?
You do not need it for TSA Precheck. In fact, if you show your NEXUS card to the document checker without the Precheck logo on your boarding pass, you'll be sent to the regular security lane. Just make sure your KTN is on-file with your frequent flyer programs, and travel agency if booking for work. This is how all US airports work.

Last edited by trmbn65; Oct 21, 2015 at 9:18 pm Reason: specified scope of comment is US airports
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
YYZ departures has a person at the entrance to the NEXUS preclearance area who wants to see your NEXUS card before letting you in there, as does the person sorting people into the NEXUS vs. regular security (bag scanning) lanes. They're not examining the card other than perhaps matching the name, just checking if you're a member of the "club" that uses those lanes.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:16 pm

Hi! I've been lurking for a while; just thought I'd share some of my NEXUS experiences. I'm a Canadian citizen who currently lives in the US.

I first got NEXUS in 2009. I renewed online in 2014 and didn't have to go for another interview, even though I had a new passport and driver's license. I think I got the new NEXUS card in the mail within a week or two of the renewal.

I became a student in the US in 2009, a few months after I became a NEXUS member. I entered at a land crossing without NEXUS and got my F-1 entry stamp. The next time I was in Canada I visited the NEXUS office at YYC and showed the US officer my F-1 stamp and paperwork, and she added it to my NEXUS account. I used the NEXUS lanes thereafter to enter the US.

At YYC preclearance you have to talk to an officer after using the NEXUS machine (it is now a GE machine but same deal). I always got hassled by this officer without fail. Asked detailed questions about my student status and whether I had paid the SEVIS fee (which of course I had, though once he asked me how much I had paid and I couldn't remember - after that I always carried the original SEVIS receipt with me). It made me question whether entering with NEXUS was really worth it, as the regular lines at YYC were never very long anyway. I never got denied entry or even sent to secondary, but it always left me stressed and frustrated.

I changed to TN status in 2013 and never had a chance to visit the NEXUS office to update this in my record (it was always closed whenever I happened to be at the airport). So I avoided using the NEXUS/GE lines after this when I entered the US. Always had a much more pleasant experience with the regular CBP officer (at YYC at least - I had a terrible experiencing entering at ATL once but that's another story).

A few weeks ago I finally had a chance to visit an office and add my TN status. I showed up without an appointment; a CBSA officer greeted me at the door and took my passport and NEXUS card to give to the CBP officer. I waited about 20 minutes, and the CBP officer came out to the waiting area and told me he had added my TN status to my account and was good to go.

So when I returned to the US recently I used a GE kiosk for the first time. It seemed much smoother than the old NEXUS kiosks, mainly because I didn't have to do the iris positioning dance. On the purpose of my visit, TN was listed as an option in addition to B-1, B-2, and Other. I said yes to the food question and my receipt printed out with a big circle on it. The officer looked at my receipt and asked me "What did you declare?". I told him and he waved me through. That was the only question he asked me. Sooo much smoother than whenever I used the NEXUS kiosks as an F-1 student.

I also like the PreCheck privileges, although the airport I use most (FAI) almost never has PreCheck available even though it is listed as a PreCheck airport. They give me a blue card as consolation, which lets me go through the metal detector but I still have to take off shoes, remove laptops and liquids, etc.

Sorry for the long post; I guess I should have signed up here years ago .
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
As I understand it, the NEXUS card isn't used for air travel, and it would be nice to get precheck on two upcoming flights.
You need your Nexus card, as others have noted, so it is used for air travel. However, it can not be used as a replacement for your passport - you must carry it with you as well. Some may debate that on here, however, the one guy who won't is the officer who asks to see it if you get randomly selected for secondary (or have to go in for any other reason), and airlines may not let you check in with just a Nexus card. So it is used, but you also need a passport.

For precheck, your card has nothing to do with it. You need to enter your PASSID from the back of your card into the "known traveller number" field of your record on the airline you are flying with. You must be flying a participating airline. And while I think there's only once since pre-check started where I haven't gotten it, note it is not guaranteed for everyone with trusted traveler status on any flight.

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
You can use the NEXUS/GE machines for any purpose, as long as you select the appropriate option on the GE questionnaire or CBSA declaration card.
Mostly correct, and not sure about GE, but specifically for Nexus for sure, you can not use the machines if you have "business materials" (I believe thats the term, but not 100% sure). A work laptop is apparently ok, but carrying any other business materials - samples, brochures, sales sheets, etc. and using Nexus is cause to have it taken away. But if its just a buisness trip, to say, attend a meeting with colleagues across the border, and all you have is your work laptop, you are fine.

Originally Posted by flyquiet
YYZ departures has a person at the entrance to the NEXUS preclearance area who wants to see your NEXUS card before letting you in there, as does the person sorting people into the NEXUS vs. regular security (bag scanning) lanes. They're not examining the card other than perhaps matching the name, just checking if you're a member of the "club" that uses those lanes.
I have never, ever pulled out my Nexus card for the entrance to the GE area at YYZ. I just tell them I'm Global Entry, sometimes I show them the CBP sticker on my passport and I have never had any of the checkers question it.

Yes, you do need your card for the security lane, as it is only available to Nexus members.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: IC RA, AA EXP
Hey all,

I'm a CA citizen and NEXUS holder, with GE. I just got my GC, and I'm fully aware I need to update my documentation with NEXUS. Near as I can tell, my only option is to do this at a nexus center in person? I also cannot find any way to book an appointment for this reason through GOES. Do I just show up?

Anyone done this?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You need your Nexus card, as others have noted, so it is used for air travel. However, it can not be used as a replacement for your passport - you must carry it with you as well. Some may debate that on here, however, the one guy who won't is the officer who asks to see it if you get randomly selected for secondary (or have to go in for any other reason), and airlines may not let you check in with just a Nexus card. So it is used, but you also need a passport.
I need to carry documentation anyway, as I have a European passport. Canada generally wants to stamp that passport (uncertain how that will work with NEXUS). The United States doesn't care about it, they just want to see my green card on entry.

For precheck, your card has nothing to do with it. You need to enter your PASSID from the back of your card into the "known traveller number" field of your record on the airline you are flying with. You must be flying a participating airline. And while I think there's only once since pre-check started where I haven't gotten it, note it is not guaranteed for everyone with trusted traveler status on any flight.
Aware of that for US airports; I just wasn't sure if I had to wait for/activate the physical card before I can use the associated PASSID/KTN. From this thread, it sounds like I can use that immediately now that GOES shows full approval.

I do understand I'll need to show the card to get expedited screening at Canadian airports. Both flights I plan to bord prior to getting home and getting the card are through US airports, so that's not an issue.

Mostly correct, and not sure about GE, but specifically for Nexus for sure, you can not use the machines if you have "business materials" (I believe thats the term, but not 100% sure). A work laptop is apparently ok, but carrying any other business materials - samples, brochures, sales sheets, etc. and using Nexus is cause to have it taken away. But if its just a buisness trip, to say, attend a meeting with colleagues across the border, and all you have is your work laptop, you are fine.
That works for me. I do usually carry my laptop. The only other "business-related" item I carry regularly is a reasonable quantity of business cards. I don't anticipate ever having any "product samples" or similar items for commercial purposes, but if that ever changes, I'll use a regular lane and declare those items.

I have never, ever pulled out my Nexus card for the entrance to the GE area at YYZ. I just tell them I'm Global Entry, sometimes I show them the CBP sticker on my passport and I have never had any of the checkers question it.

Yes, you do need your card for the security lane, as it is only available to Nexus members.
Yep, no issue there. I plan to carry the NEXUS card in my wallet as an additional form of ID. Just hoping to get precheck on the two (US domestic) flights I have before I get home to check the mail.

Assuming, of course, that work's annoying habit of concatenating my first and middle names on my boarding passes doesn't cause a name mismatch. I'll find out on Sunday.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grompf
I'm a CA citizen and NEXUS holder, with GE. I just got my GC, and I'm fully aware I need to update my documentation with NEXUS. Near as I can tell, my only option is to do this at a nexus center in person? I also cannot find any way to book an appointment for this reason through GOES. Do I just show up?
Yes, you should be able to do any routine documentation updates as a walk-in.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by grompf
Hey all,

Anyone done this?
I haven't done this exactly; I presented my green card during my initial NEXUS interview (which I just completed.) But this sounds like just adding a document to your profile. Judging by previous posts in this thread, you should be able to do this as a walk-in; no appointment necessary.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC, DL, AA
24-hour eGate Nexus late at Peace Bridge?

Does anyone know if the Canada-bound Nexus eGate lane remains open overnight for Canada-bound travellers?

I have used it in early 2015 (and it was not staffed; one remains in the vehicle and speaks via a video/audio-connection with a CBSA officer at a remote location). But originally it was meant as a pilot project from May 2014 to May 2015.

I know it's no big deal to use the regular lanes late at night, but I liked the feature and even less hassle of the eGate lane.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:29 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13B143 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by abogdanp
Does anyone know if the Canada-bound Nexus eGate lane remains open overnight for Canada-bound travellers?

I have used it in early 2015 (and it was not staffed; one remains in the vehicle and speaks via a video/audio-connection with a CBSA officer at a remote location). But originally it was meant as a pilot project from May 2014 to May 2015.

I know it's no big deal to use the regular lanes late at night, but I liked the feature and even less hassle of the eGate lane.
I used this at the end of June, so it was still operating then. I'd never heard of it and was a bit startled!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Just received my Nexus Card. I had earlier a Global Entry Card. So the new Nexus includes Global Entry as well? It does not say that exactly. It neither says Sentry, so i guess It is not included? Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Just received my Nexus Card. I had earlier a Global Entry Card. So the new Nexus includes Global Entry as well? It does not say that exactly. It neither says Sentry, so i guess It is not included? Thanks
You automatically have GE and SENTRI with NEXUS. With GE you use your passport and fingerprints so no card is necessary. You use your card with SENTRI, but need to have your vehicle inspected by CBP and pay a fee. You can use pedestrian SENTRI lanes though.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
When you receive your NEXUS card in the mail.. it usually comes with an RFID Protection sleeve with a copper colored inside and it's a high quality sleeve.. does anybody know what company manufactures these for DHS ?

The problem is most of the RFID protection sleeve I have seen on the market (identity stronghold & others) are cheap aluminum inside and tear after a few months of use on credit cards etc... I thought about stopping by multiple NEXUS offices when traveling though airports and picking up a few extra at each one ( I need 20 of them) but given the lines & how paranoid they are about everything - I figure I could contact the DHS Vendor directly - if anybody knows who makes them..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.