Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by surreycrv
I'll go with the directive spoken from a Nexus official over a web source any day of the week. How's that line go, Ignorantia juris non excusat
But that's just the thing. CBSA's published rules say that updating in GOES is enough and visiting a NEXUS office in person is NOT necessary for passport updates. We've done our jurisprudence by following CBSA's published rules. Here's another published-by-CBSA guide and hosted on CBSA's servers, that says the same thing. Update passport and address information in GOES. All other updates require a visit in person.

Where is it documented by CBSA that we have to visit the office in person for passport updates? Nowhere. The only "documentation" of the sort is by random strangers posting about their experiences on an air travel web forum.

We are doing our due diligence by following what CBSA says to do in all of its published documentation in regards to passport updates. By updating in GOES only, we are in full compliance with all program rules. If CBSA isn't getting passport updates from GOES like it is supposed to, then it has an IT problem that should be fixed. There are no "privacy issues" and we are not in non-compliance if we update in GOES like all of CBSA's rules say to do.

Last edited by Kiraly; Jan 11, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I strongly suspect the CBSA web site is correct, but that CBSA has a massive retraining job to do when it comes to their agents who are convinced they know better than their own employer.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:03 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txviking
I strongly suspect the CBSA web site is correct, but that CBSA has a massive retraining job to do when it comes to their agents who are convinced they know better than their own employer.
I agree entirely - the question is are you willing to take the chance that an agent will insist you needed to go into an office to update, and disagree with them?

I state again that an agent can take away your Nexus just because they don't like your hair. Stretching there, but they can pull your Nexus for any reason, leaving you to appeal it down the road. Sure, you might knock up a win for being right, but do you want to be Nexus-less or have a note on your file?

Is the chance worth not taking a 5-10 minute wait in a Nexus office, if you're using it at an airport with a Nexus office anyways?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Absolute
I agree entirely - the question is are you willing to take the chance that an agent will insist you needed to go into an office to update, and disagree with them?

I state again that an agent can take away your Nexus just because they don't like your hair. Stretching there, but they can pull your Nexus for any reason, leaving you to appeal it down the road. Sure, you might knock up a win for being right, but do you want to be Nexus-less or have a note on your file?

Is the chance worth not taking a 5-10 minute wait in a Nexus office, if you're using it at an airport with a Nexus office anyways?
Not at all. Even when I'm using it at land borders, I intend to err on the side of caution and stop by CBSA with every new document I get.

Thankfully, my passport and driver license both expire in 2021, and my green card in 2025. So I won't have to worry about it for a while.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: A few, *G,
Originally Posted by Absolute

this. it's not like you need to make an appointment at any office you're near, land or air.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I'll go with the directive spoken from a Nexus official over a web source any day of the week. How's that line go, Ignorantia juris non excusat
Instructions given by a representative/official does not mean it is correct.

There is a reason why HUACA is a mantra on FT.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Instructions given by a representative/official does not mean it is correct.

There is a reason why HUACA is a mantra on FT.
hmmmmm, customer service rep with zero life altering capability. Or CBP/CBSA officer with the ability to revolk your trusted traveler credential and make further international crossings cumbersome. Yeah sure, huaca. lol
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:35 pm

hmmmmm, customer service rep with zero life altering capability. Or CBP/CBSA officer with the ability to revolk your trusted traveler credential and make further international crossings cumbersome. Yeah sure, huaca. lol
They won't revoke your NEXUS membership because you followed the rules and used GOES to update. Has there ever been a case of that happening?

The fact remains that the only source of a requirement to visit the office in person to update a passport with CBSA is from strangers on the internet posting on Flyertalk.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

I guess to continue the derail, you state a fact, that is not actually a fact. To each his own on how or when the report their personal info, but yours also is an OPINION.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:27 am
Original Member

You seriously think a CBSA officer can individually revoke your membership by simply checking a box on a system without filing supporting paperwork/evidence? Let that individual officer document revoked due to not updating passport in person.

If you receive such a letter you were revoked for that reason, then submit CBSA website printout directing updates should be performed on GOES to:

How to file a review for: Membership in a Trusted Traveller Program

Suggesting that you should update in person merely perpetuates the officer’s ignorance.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Oh the things you can lose your NEXUS for:

According to the law, "all persons are prohibited from importing into the United States from any foreign country any … lottery ticket, or any printed paper that may be used as a lottery ticket, or any advertisement of any lottery."
The only exception is for “any lottery ticket, printed paper that may be used as a lottery ticket, or advertisement of any lottery, that is printed in Canada for use in connection with a lottery conducted in the United States.” But Powerball tickets are not printed in Canada.
And though the lottery section of the rules may seem obscure, Yuen wasn't the first Canadian to run into the issue.
In December, U.S. border guards seized nine B.C. lottery tickets from a man trying to cross the border, and confiscated his Nexus card during the incident.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/powerba...-way-1.2733537 (emphasis added)

I'm not a Powerball ticket buyer, but thought this was interesting.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:18 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Oh the things you can lose your NEXUS for:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/powerba...-way-1.2733537 (emphasis added)

I'm not a Powerball ticket buyer, but thought this was interesting.
Thanks. Didn't know that.

19 U.S.C. §1305
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Thanks. Didn't know that.

19 U.S.C. §1305
Shades of the old Irish Sweepstakes days when lottery tickets were illegal in the U.S., before various governments took over the "numbers racket," realizing there was serious money to be made.

Who could imagine it's illegal for a foreigner to bring back into the U.S. a lottery ticket that he or she had previously purchased legally within the U.S.?

Indeed good to know for those who might be affected, but the kindest comment I can make is that the law insofar as lottery tickets is concerned appears badly outdated.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
What I find crazy is that it's not like the statute quoted has been around for hundreds of years untouched/unmodified. It apparently was modified around 1993 to allow tickets printed in Canada for US lotteries to be imported (probably to comply with NAFTA). You would have thought that they would have just gotten rid of the restriction all together!

(And I guess technically I can lose my NEXUS card for bringing across the border a newspaper containing an *ad* for Lotto 6/49 if the agent feels like it!)
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kiraly
The fact remains that the only source of a requirement to visit the office in person to update a passport with CBSA is from strangers on the internet posting on Flyertalk.
Well...except that's not my source...I've heard it directly from multiple different CBSA officers in the Nexus office - and 100% of the time the same answer. Now, be that as it may that I'm in fact, posting this on Flyertalk, and while no one (I am aware of) on this forum was there to witness these incidents, but the above gives me reason enough to think that there are many officers out there that consider this a requirement.

Besides, have no idea why I (or any poster on FT, for that matter) would encourage people to go to the office if we hadn't been instructed that way.

Suggesting that you should update in person merely perpetuates the officer’s ignorance.
Perhaps...if that is indeed the case. For me, an extra 10 minutes every 10th year or so is worth it to me rather than the potential time and energy that I might need to devote on contesting a revocation, not to mention, that these notes on your file may or may not be completely removed for years...or ever. But that's just me...YMMV, of course. Note also that of the several times I've gone to have my passport updated in person (after updating in GOES), they always take a copy. I've never been refused the update there (as I have for DL update, for example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.