Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I declared cheese upon entry into Canada using Nexus and got secondary. The customs agent warned me that it is against Nexus rules if I answer YES to any of the YES/NO questions of the E311 declaration card, is that true ?
No, that is not true, they don't know what they are talking about....but if importing cheese into Canada is against their customs laws, then importing and declaring is a violation - you can't use Nexus to just declare something you should not have with you in the first place.

If cheese is legal to import into Canada (I don't see why it wouldn't be), then the agent is just an idiot.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kiraly
Where is CBSA advising anything to the contrary? I mean since that page was updated in May.
There were 2 posts just yesterday where the members were told by CBSA they needed to update their documents at an Enrollment Center - one was in Sept and the other was in Oct. Page 630, post #9447 and #9449.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by xero9
Well that's a bit alarming! I'm wondering.. Why did it require her father's signature but not yours? What I'm getting from all of this is: take momma with us! It's not even that she's not able to for one reason or another. It was more for convenience sake, but if it's recommended that I get a letter notarized, then it's easier to simply leave our guests at our house for 2 hours while we visit Pearson.

Thanks for your response flyquiet, you've made my decision very clear!
We (both parents) had to sign whatever the form was. The only reason dad was with us was that we booked Ft Erie because no times were coming up at YYZ, so we decided to make a day of it and visit family. I am not sure what would have happened if he had not been with us. I fall in the "better safe than sorry" camp given how much of a gauntlet it is to get the NEXUS in the first place (mostly the waiting) and how much of a time saver it is down the road.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
We (both parents) had to sign whatever the form was. The only reason dad was with us was that we booked Ft Erie because no times were coming up at YYZ, so we decided to make a day of it and visit family. I am not sure what would have happened if he had not been with us. I fall in the "better safe than sorry" camp given how much of a gauntlet it is to get the NEXUS in the first place (mostly the waiting) and how much of a time saver it is down the road.
Out of curiosity, do you and Mr. flyquiet live together? It's a personal question so you don't actually have to answer. The reason I ask/bring it up is I was really curious, so I called the NEXUS office to ask what was required. They asked if me and the Mrs live with the child. Because we do, he said nothing was required other than for me and child to be there.

Which raises a whole different question of how do they know we live together.. Depending on if Mrs. xero9 wants to go with us or not, I'll likely take her passport, driver's license, and a signed (not notarized) letter with me.

I'm a risk taker
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Checking in here with my approved renewal; went in to YYZ at my 2:00pm appointment on 12/26 and walked in at 1:57pm. Lady called me up right away although several people who had appointment times after me had written their names on the list up to 30 mins before me lol.

Answered questions for both CBP and CBSA at the same time. Really grilled me on what I do at my job (what does "consultant" mean, lol) and wanted my direct line at work which I had to look for a bit (no business cards on me). After a few mins, they also mentioned that I can't get my APEC Business Travel Card here today because they're not equipped for it.

I show them on my appointment letter that they indicated I would verify my APEC eligibility in this appointment. The CBP guy kept looking on his screen and didn't seem impressed, then suddenly he realized he did have a signature machine and asked me to sign and I got both the APEC and Nexus cards in 5 business days.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:37 pm

I'm SURE this has been answered here (given that it's 631 pages) but I wasn't able to find it by searching so forgive me if this has been asked before!

I have 3 citizenships. I've entered 2 of them on my application however the only proof I have of the third one is my passport which is very expired (as of 2004). I'm not going to renew it anytime soon but I also don't want to lie on my application. What do I do?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by xero9
Out of curiosity, do you and Mr. flyquiet live together? It's a personal question so you don't actually have to answer. The reason I ask/bring it up is I was really curious, so I called the NEXUS office to ask what was required. They asked if me and the Mrs live with the child. Because we do, he said nothing was required other than for me and child to be there.
Yes we do, but different name, and his name is the same as the child.

What I wonder is, if the second parent is not present, what is to stop the present parent from saying "oh, sure, we live together" when that isn't the case. For that reason, I think it is a good idea to require both parents to consent, but I am not adamant on it.

I just would have preferred that they make it clearer prior to the appointment. I'd have no difficulty getting a notarized statement ahead of time. We always did for any travel with the child and just one parent or child with sports team. Not a big deal. However, I was completely surprised that they had this paper we had to sign on the day. There was nothing in the invitation to interview that said ANY parent had to be there. I could have put her in a taxi, as far as the letter goes, to the best of my recollection.

The practice could be YYZ vs Ft Erie difference. I did mine at YYZ and the office seemed more elaborate. Ft Erie was like Mayberry RFD. I am sure they know what they are doing, but they are not integrated in a big multifunctional transportation hub in the same building, the way the YYZ office is, and so maybe they're not evolving the same way.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jadephoenixx
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about this, not just on FlyerTalk but what CBSA seem to be advising.
This. I have asked at the Nexus office several times - CBP is good with updates online (GOES is run by them), but CBSA has told me in no uncertain terms every single time passports need to be updated in person. Therefore, I always update at the office when I'm there next (as well as updating online immediately). That way, there's no question I've done what I've done what I need to do.

Having a piece of paper to show an officer who is convinced you're wrong isn't really going to help. IME, They'll do what they were going to do anyway. Better to take the extra time once every 10 years to do the update in person then potentially having to argue a revocation. That's just my take, anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Where is CBSA advising anything to the contrary? I mean since that page was updated in May.
During my initial NEXUS enrollment interview in October, for one thing. Details in my previous post a couple of days ago.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by txviking
During my initial NEXUS enrollment interview in October, for one thing. Details in my previous post a couple of days ago.
Somebody should write to Ralph Goodale about this. CBSA says updating passport info on GOES is all that is needed, ergo that info is supposed to get through but it sounds like it isn't. It must be computer glitches that are responsible for passport updates made on GOES failing to get through to the CBSA.

I'd hate for somebody to lose his NEXUS for what appears to the CBSA officer to be non-compliance when the was fully compliant with CBSA rules by using GOES to update.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Somebody should write to Ralph Goodale about this. CBSA says updating passport info on GOES is all that is needed, ergo that info is supposed to get through but it sounds like it isn't. It must be computer glitches that are responsible for passport updates made on GOES failing to get through to the CBSA.
I don't have any inside knowledge, but my understanding is that GOES, as a US system, only updates the US side. What I have heard, and makes sense to me, is that privacy restrictions don't allow the US to pass on the data as their is no consent. As to your initial application, you give your consent when filling out the application, which is probably what allows them to pass on the info. for that process.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't have any inside knowledge, but my understanding is that GOES, as a US system, only updates the US side. What I have heard, and makes sense to me, is that privacy restrictions don't allow the US to pass on the data as their is no consent. As to your initial application, you give your consent when filling out the application, which is probably what allows them to pass on the info. for that process.
That can't be true. Otherwise why would CBSA tell us that updating our passport info in GOES is all that is required. Updating GOES is supposed to work, CBSA itself says so. If it doesn't it's a computer glitch. That's the only thing that makes sense. There are no privacy restrictions.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:34 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
That can't be true. Otherwise why would CBSA tell us that updating our passport info in GOES is all that is required. Updating GOES is supposed to work, CBSA itself says so. If it doesn't it's a computer glitch. That's the only thing that makes sense. There are no privacy restrictions.
As of September 30th, yes, there are indeed. I renewed my passport, updated on GOES, and went into the YYZ Nexus office on a trip. Talked to the agent, who confirmed that I must visit a Nexus office to update your passport.

I was told that it was indeed due to privacy laws, that there was limited information sharing between the two systems - in fact, that's why there are separate US and CDN computers IN the Nexus offices, as they cannot be linked together. Same applies to APEC - there's a reason there is a special computer.

As other people posted, if you're pulled aside for travelling on expired/outdated documents, saying "well, the website says so!" counts for nothing. They're well within their rights to pull your Nexus for any reason, including arguing with them
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Absolute
I was told that it was indeed due to privacy laws, that there was limited information sharing between the two systems - in fact, that's why there are separate US and CDN computers IN the Nexus offices, as they cannot be linked together. Same applies to APEC - there's a reason there is a special computer.
CBSA website begs to differ. GOES may be operated by CBP but surely CBSA's website is operated by CBSA.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/contact-coordonnees-eng.html

Besides separate computers DOES NOT equate to the backend systems not talking to another. Computers in the NEXUS offices are mere data entry terminals to CBP's and CBSA's respective backend systems.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
I'll go with the directive spoken from a Nexus official over a web source any day of the week. How's that line go, Ignorantia juris non excusat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.