Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Sorry, I don't see any manufacturer details in the sleeve.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by kevinfor
When you receive your NEXUS card in the mail.. it usually comes with an RFID Protection sleeve with a copper colored inside and it's a high quality sleeve.. does anybody know what company manufactures these for DHS ?
This looks like it could be it. I found it by googling "copper rfid sleeve"
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AC*P25K, NEXUS
Here's a time check for those who are curious.

I just renewed my Nexus card. I applied for renewal online, and it took 4 weeks to receive notification that my application was approved. No need for an interview.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Looking for advice...my current Nexus card expires March 2016. I applied to renew it and was conditionally approved, my interview is on Dec. 26. Although I live and work in the US, I will be visiting family in Toronto during the Xmas holiday trip.

For those of you that had to go in for an interview for renewing a card, did you have to surrender your old card? Reason I ask is that the new card will be mailed to my US address so I won't have the card on me when I'm returning to the US from Canada in the new year.

My situation is probably very specific, any advice is welcome.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
deleted
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by fayraree
Looking for advice...my current Nexus card expires March 2016. I applied to renew it and was conditionally approved, my interview is on Dec. 26. Although I live and work in the US, I will be visiting family in Toronto during the Xmas holiday trip.

For those of you that had to go in for an interview for renewing a card, did you have to surrender your old card? Reason I ask is that the new card will be mailed to my US address so I won't have the card on me when I'm returning to the US from Canada in the new year.

My situation is probably very specific, any advice is welcome.
Good news: You only need your passport to use Global Entry at US CBP Preclearance at Pearson. So, not having a card isn't fatal.

Bad news: The line trolls may refuse you access to the Global Entry portion of the Preclearance area without a card. I had someone describe exactly that situation in the club on my last trip through YYZ (early GE adopter that was never issued a card and forced to go through "regular" line).

Even worse news: No way you get to use NEXUS CBSA security without a card.

However, I have no idea if you need to surrender your card. Never heard of that but have admittedly not been through the renewal process.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
^yeah, I hear ya, I figured nothing to worry about on the way back to the US if I were at YYZ (via air). But if I chose to drive, I would need to waive the card in front of the card detector in the lane, so I was curious. I figure I could keep my appointment letter with the renewal info, and perhaps a stamp or receipt of some sort from my actual interview, if that's possible. I won't bring up my old one if it isn't necessary.

Also, I should have reported this here long ago...every time I use my Nexus card which shows I'm a Canadian citizen (I got it many years ago when I was only a Canadian and a US green card holder) at the Nexus lanes returning to the US, I always get a puzzled look from the CBP officers and generally I am asked to go to secondary screening, because of "some issue with my Nexus card" and advice that I should have shown my US passport."

That has happened to me many times, ever since I became a US citizen and updated both my US and Canadian profiles with the new passport info, AND set my "primary citizenship" to US (something the lady at YYZ airport did for me when I had an issue the first time I tried to use my US passport at the GE kiosk in YYZ). No issues via air after then, but always an issue showing my Nexus card via road.

The new card will say US citizen, because that's what I used in my application.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:39 am
bha

I have never heard of having to surrender a card. Upon renewal (no interview) the new card shows up in the mail and you go online to activate it .. same as a credit card. Once activated, it tells you to destroy the old card because it's no longer valid.

With an interview, same process. They let me leave the interview with my card and just said "new one will show up in the mail" which it did. Then same process as above.

So even if your new card shows up in the mail while you are out of town, you need to go home and activate it before your old card is no good any more.

I'm sure the new card needs to be activated in a certain period of time (30 days?) and you need to make sure your old card hasn't expired. Other than those two things, you should be just fine.

I would call NEXUS to confirm 100% but can't see any issue with travelling on your existing card.

Also noted that you said you'd be driving back. If that's the case, can you not just take the regular lane and cross with a passport?

My wife has a NEXUS but sometimes her dad drives her across the border to catch the VIA train, so she takes her passport on those trips. She shows her CDN passport and her dad shows his US one and they cross just fine in the regular lane. Just because you have a NEXUS doesn't force you to use the NEXUS lane.

I'd take your NEXUS card as backup and just go through the regular lane and show your passport and you'll be fine..
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:07 am

^ perfect advice, thanks bha, you hit every point I was curious about. I'll definitely be using my US passport and go in a regular lane on my way back to the US...was thinking of using the whirlpool bridge (exclusive Nexus access) because I've been stopped so many times for secondary using my Nexus card since becoming a US citizen. I just can't bring myself to use the longer, regular lanes, lol. But certainly not worth the hassle of the secondary review.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:48 am

I am a Nexus card holder and a Canadian citizen. I travel a lot within the US and use TSA Recheck

I have only used nexus crossing from a Canadian (airport only) into the US about 4 times.

And I ended up with 2 strikes (separately)
1. I had a TN visa whose date was extended and I hadn't notified them.
2. I had a stale chocolate chip cookie going from Toronto to New York which I bought in chicago and failed to declare.

Both times the CBP was ready to give me electrical shock but let me keep my nexus card. I never use it now.. ever! But I need it for TSA Precheck.
My questions -
1. Has anyone in a situation like mine successfully renewed their Nexus card?
2. Logging into my DHS GOES website, I see that "Renew Membership" button is available. I have 11 months before my membership expires. Should I apply now, wait, or simply assume I'll lose it?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by freedom1
I am a Nexus card holder and a Canadian citizen. I travel a lot within the US and use TSA Recheck

I have only used nexus crossing from a Canadian (airport only) into the US about 4 times.

And I ended up with 2 strikes (separately)
1. I had a TN visa whose date was extended and I hadn't notified them.
2. I had a stale chocolate chip cookie going from Toronto to New York which I bought in chicago and failed to declare.

Both times the CBP was ready to give me electrical shock but let me keep my nexus card. I never use it now.. ever! But I need it for TSA Precheck.
My questions -
2. Logging into my DHS GOES website, I see that "Renew Membership" button is available. I have 11 months before my membership expires. Should I apply now, wait, or simply assume I'll lose it?
Renew it now. Once you've used Precheck, you don't want to go back to the standard TSA line.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81
Renew it now. Once you've used Precheck, you don't want to go back to the standard TSA line.
With all due respect @dustman81, You didn't answer any part of any of my question.

Thanks
      Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:51 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
      [QUOTE=freedom1;25807932
      My questions -
      2. Logging into my DHS GOES website, I see that "Renew Membership" button is available. I have 11 months before my membership expires. Should I apply now, wait, or simply assume I'll lose it?[/QUOTE]

Have no idea about number 1, however, likely, if they were going to revoke your membership, they likely would have done it on the spot. There have been a couple of reports over the years in here of people receiving letters saying their membership have been revoked. But unless you get one, I wouldn't assume it would happen. It's possible that if the officers didn't do anything, they may have never logged the incidents, and so no one would know. That said, technically, the bringing food in without declaring it is likely a customs violation, so when filling out the form, being honest, you'd have to report it.

Renew my membership appears, IIRC, 1 year prior to your existing expiration. I don't know why you'd "assume" you'd lose it. Renew when you're ready and you'll find out.

On yet another note, I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure not using your Nexus privileges very well may not have any affect on the ability to lose your membership if you break rules. If you, for example, don't declare food when entering the US using the regular lanes, and its noted, they can connect this to your Nexus through your passport - they likely have some sort of profile on you. So while entering a country using your TT privileges or not, they can still connect that your TT status and revoke it if they feel you are not meeting the program T&Cs.
      Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:14 am

Hello all. I've just scheduled an interview for Montreal. Could someone please tell me how to find the office at YUL. We'll be exiting customs coming from a European flight and then heading on to rent a car afterward.

I'll have my daughter with me so too much wandering around will likely result in from her, which it's always best to avoid (I'm certain to get my share of no matter what, but I do try to minimize it).

Thanks.
      Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
      Get over to the departures/ticketing area for US flights, than follow the signs for NEXUS if you can find them or ask someone. The office is down an out-of-the way hallway.

I can't give better directions, but I ended up there the firs time I departed YUL because I was following the sings thinking they led to the NEXUS line in the Preclearance area. Oops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.