Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:32 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Absolute
I suppose that's a recent change - I was refused entry two years ago for not carrying my passport.
Note that the NEXUS card is only a sufficient document for entry into the US by air when used at a NEXUS (or newer Global Entry) kiosk at designated airports (the Canadian preclearance airports), and (IIRC) only when used by US and Canadian citizens. This means, for example, that I could fly from BOS to YTZ and enter Canada using NEXUS (since CBSA has a NEXUS kiosk at YTZ) but not the reverse (YTZ is not a preclearance airport, and CBP at BOS will want a passport for the Global Entry kiosk).

As others have said in this thread, I still recommend carrying your passport in addition to your NEXUS card; I do that even for land crossings, where it's quite clear that NEXUS is sufficient by itself.

If I had to fly to Canada while my US passport was off getting a third country visa or something, then I would probably make sure I had printouts of all the relevant CBP and CBSA websites, maybe even the US WHTI Final Rule document...and I'd still allow extra time for arguing with airline check-in agents, CBP, and/or CBSA. Not generally worth it.

(The WHTI Final Rule for air travel dates to 2006, so it's not new. That refers to "NEXUS Air" cards specifically, since it predates the integration of NEXUS into a single program.)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Kiraly
The new style GE kiosks accept NEXUS cards in lieu of passports.
At which airports these kiosks are available and operating right now?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:07 am
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; Nexus 5 Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/36.0.1985.135 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Originally Posted by Kiraly
The new style GE kiosks accept NEXUS cards in lieu of passports.
At which airports these kiosks are available and operating right now?
I think this function is only available at pre-clearance locations. I've tried at new-style kiosks in LAX and EWR and it will read the card (shows "type: Nexus card", etc), but then gives an error that the record can't be found using this information.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:14 pm

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered in this long thread.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I have a valid Nexus card that expires on January 15. I apply for renewal and and I go for my interview on the first available appointment on December 24 and I am approved. However, the new card does not arrive before I need to travel on December 30, so am I still able to use my old Nexus card which has not yet expired?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by AEmgee
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered in this long thread.

Let's say, hypothetically, that I have a valid Nexus card that expires on January 15. I apply for renewal and and I go for my interview on the first available appointment on December 24 and I am approved. However, the new card does not arrive before I need to travel on December 30, so am I still able to use my old Nexus card which has not yet expired?
You're assuming you need an interview for renewal. You might get lucky and they just approve you without you having to show.

You should be able to use your current card as it not yet expired. When the new one arrives, activate it on the GOES website and destroy the old card.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
I know this question regularly comes up in this thread, so I thought I would add my two cents to the whole "getting your iris scan at a different time that your interview" topic.

I had my interview at Blaine, WA this afternoon at 1245. Was told that I could get my iris scan done at any time after I was approved, and before I got the physical card - to just take my passport to a Canadian Nexus office that had an iris scanner with no appointment. And so I did - was at YVR an hour later (the CBSA office at the HWY 15 crossing is closed on Saturdays). Waited <5 minutes for the helpful staff at the Nexus office there to do the iris scan, and was on my way.

The whole interview process at Blaine was also quite simple. I was in and out of there in about 20 minutes.

Dave
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:39 pm

My Nexus is up for renewal, I submitted the renewal back in May. It's still "pending review" My membership expires next month and I am scared it will expire before it's renewed. Also, I wish to travel and my dates are after this.

I phoned the Canadian Nexus centre but the recording said no agents will answer phones nor do they handle this type of query over the phone.

Is there anything I can do but wait? Is there another number to call?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:07 am

Question Nexus application in process but I have a new passport

I am a US citizen. About 4 weeks ago I completed my application to renew my Nexus card. At the same time I realized my Passport was going to expire in a couple months. At that time I also mailed my application to renew my passport. Yesterday I received my new passport which expires in 2024. Now my current Nexus card and application both have my old passport associated with them. I do not see a way I can update this in GOES. Since my Nexus application is in "Pending Review" status, when it is reviewed the reviewer will see my old passport not my new one. What is the proper thing for me to do in this situation? Is there someone I can call?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moreofless
I am a US citizen. About 4 weeks ago I completed my application to renew my Nexus card. At the same time I realized my Passport was going to expire in a couple months. At that time I also mailed my application to renew my passport. Yesterday I received my new passport which expires in 2024. Now my current Nexus card and application both have my old passport associated with them. I do not see a way I can update this in GOES. Since my Nexus application is in "Pending Review" status, when it is reviewed the reviewer will see my old passport not my new one. What is the proper thing for me to do in this situation? Is there someone I can call?
You should be able to log into GOES and update the passport info - that's a good place to start. You can find a link to "update documents" on the left hand tab, and after clicking on it, you can choose a document to update. You should be able to update the passport #, issue date and expiry date.

Also always a good idea to bring it in to an office - GOES is the US system, and the Canadians, at least, like to take a copy and update their own systems. At that time, you can explain you had a renewal since you submitted your renewal application, and I'm sure you'll be find.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
You should be able to log into GOES and update the passport info - that's a good place to start. You can find a link to "update documents" on the left hand tab, and after clicking on it, you can choose a document to update. You should be able to update the passport #, issue date and expiry date.

Also always a good idea to bring it in to an office - GOES is the US system, and the Canadians, at least, like to take a copy and update their own systems. At that time, you can explain you had a renewal since you submitted your renewal application, and I'm sure you'll be find.
Thank you!

Unless I am blind, there is no "update documents" link anywhere on the page. The only links on the left are:

Change Password

Change Security Questions

Change Profile

Update Mail-To Address

View Payment Confirmation

Change Language:
Français
Español

Above those links are my passport and drivers license information in grey. There are not any links in that section.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by moreofless
Thank you!

Unless I am blind, there is no "update documents" link anywhere on the page. The only links on the left are:

Change Password

Change Security Questions

Change Profile

Update Mail-To Address

View Payment Confirmation

Change Language:
Français
Español

Above those links are my passport and drivers license information in grey. There are not any links in that section.
It is probably because you are in the 'pending review' stage. On mine, the 'update documents' link is where you are seeing 'view payment confirmation' (I don't have the 'view payment confirmation' link), right under 'update mail-to address'.

Just take the new passport (along with the old one) to your interview and they will update it in the system.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:21 pm
Suspended

You should be able to update that in the GOES website. You may need to wait until it shows "document expired" in order to update it (guessing). Here is the Q&A from the GOES Website:

My program status is "Document Expired". What should I do?

One or more of your travel documents that we have on file has expired. Your membership requires that you keep your document information up to date. Please review the document expiration dates listed in your account to determine the document that has expired.

Passport and/or Permanent Resident expiration dates can be updated using your GOES account. For all other documents, you will need to contact the Enrollment Center and present a current travel document.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
You should be able to update that in the GOES website. You may need to wait until it shows "document expired" in order to update it (guessing). Here is the Q&A from the GOES Website:

My program status is "Document Expired". What should I do?

One or more of your travel documents that we have on file has expired. Your membership requires that you keep your document information up to date. Please review the document expiration dates listed in your account to determine the document that has expired.

Passport and/or Permanent Resident expiration dates can be updated using your GOES account. For all other documents, you will need to contact the Enrollment Center and present a current travel document.
You don't even have to wait until it shows "document expired". I was able to update my driver's license info without the current info being expired.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81
You don't even have to wait until it shows "document expired". I was able to update my driver's license info without the current info being expired.
Right now it doesn't appear I can update anything except the basic information such as my email address. As Finkface indicated, it must be because I am "Pending Review". I just hope that does not cause any issues when my application is reviewed.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
For air travel to the US as NEXUS you use your passport at the GE kiosk - just like GE - so the card (whether GE or NEXUS) is moot. For other crossings, use your NEXUS card both directions.
Does it work also with foreign passports (non US-Canada) for Canadian Permanent Residents ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.