Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by dustman81
Ditto. All I needed was my DL and passport.
+1. Considering I had flown in from SFO for my appointment at SEA, that would have sucked.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:23 am

They asked for my letter when I went for my interview (YYZ)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Kiraly
That's a good rule. Bring also your birth certificate. My letter said nothing about needing it but the CBP agent who approved me insisted I produce it before I was approved. I had mine with me buy my wife and kids didn't; I had to go home for theirs and come back (same day, no second appointment needed).
Odd on the BC ... I recall they need to verify two things at the interview: citizenship and residence. US Passport for citizenship and PA DL for residence was sufficient for me.

I would think that the BC would only be required, as a means of verifying (natural birth) citizenship, if a passport wasn't available. Does your family all hold passports and were they available at the interview?

(The only other thing I can think of was BC needed for the kids as a means of verifying they are the biological children of both you and your wife and there isn't a potential third-party that is a custodial parent.)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:49 pm

All that it says that I'm required to bring is my birth certificate unless I'm a permanent resident. I suppose as a citizen bc suffices?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:57 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hockeywife88
All that it says that I'm required to bring is my birth certificate unless I'm a permanent resident. I suppose as a citizen bc suffices?
What did you enter in GOES for your documents? In my case, they wanted to see just my passport, which was listed for both my citizenship and admissibility documents.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My advice is to bring the letter, passport(s), and all documents you listed on your application. You may not be asked for them, but in case you are, you have 'em.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:38 pm

I only listed my bc on my application. My old passport had expired and I don't have a dl.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
They asked for my letter as the first thing to start the whole interview.
They also asked my daughter (<18) for signatures from both parents permitting her to have the NEXUS. Fortunately we were both with her. However, it would have been a cranky drive home from Fort Erie if otherwise. There was no reference in the letter indicating this requirement.
I took more documents than I needed to my interview: birth certificate, passport, US Social Security card, Canadian SIN card, bank statement mortgage statement, OHIP card, Driver's Licence. I mean, they weigh just a few grams. Why not be prepared?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:51 am

This should be on everyones conditional approval notice (at least if you signed up using GOES online). Maybe the paper document words it differently or does not have the below.

You must bring the following original documents to the enrollment center:
  • This letter inviting you to an interview;
  • Proof of citizenship document(s) as identified on your application (e.g. birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport). If you have a passport or if a passport is required for future travel, please bring the document to the interview so that the information can be added to your file;
  • Proof of permanent resident status document(s) in Canada or the United States as identified on your application (e.g. valid Permanent Resident Card or Record of Landing);
  • If you are a permanent resident in either Canada or the United States, proof of current place of residence document(s) as identified on your application (e.g. a valid driver's license, another provincial identification card or another federal identification card with current address);
  • If applicable, any Canadian or U.S. issued immigration permits for work or study;
  • Any child identity and custody documents for minor children. In the case of joint custody there must be no restriction to removing the children from the custodial jurisdiction. If the minor is accompanied by only one parent, whether in a custody situation or not, a letter must be provided by the other parent to acknowledge the enrollment of the child in the NEXUS program.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:04 pm

We're a family of 4 who applied online on Aug 14. We live in Medicine Hat, so YYC is our best location. We could go to Sweet Grass, but they have very limited hours and no iris scan. We were really hoping to have our Nexus cards before our flights at Christmas, but from what I'm reading that may not be possible. We're still pending review, but I was wondering if there's any tips for trying to get those 4 appointments booked so that we could have our cards before Christmas? I'm hoping to get approval any day now, so I'm trying to be ready to book!

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by yipee
We're a family of 4 who applied online on Aug 14. We live in Medicine Hat, so YYC is our best location. We could go to Sweet Grass, but they have very limited hours and no iris scan. We were really hoping to have our Nexus cards before our flights at Christmas, but from what I'm reading that may not be possible. We're still pending review, but I was wondering if there's any tips for trying to get those 4 appointments booked so that we could have our cards before Christmas? I'm hoping to get approval any day now, so I'm trying to be ready to book!

Thanks!
Sweetgrass, MT probably would be your best bet. Once you get approved and receive your cards, you can stop by any Canadian NEXUS office and get your iris scan done, no appointment needed.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I would think that the BC would only be required, as a means of verifying (natural birth) citizenship, if a passport wasn't available. Does your family all hold passports and were they available at the interview?
My wife, I, and both our kids all had valid passports with us. We didn't enter any birth certificate numbers into GOES when we applied, so we were extra surprised when they insisted we produce them.

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
(The only other thing I can think of was BC needed for the kids as a means of verifying they are the biological children of both you and your wife and there isn't a potential third-party that is a custodial parent.)
It definitely wasn't that. British Columbia short form birth certificates name neither parent, and the notarized copy of my wife's and my marriage certificate that shows we are married more than a year before our children were born, was of no interest to them. Yet they insisted they see the birth certificates anyway.

They also insisted on seeing my wife's certificate of Canadian citizenship; Canadian passport was not enough. I'm glad I live a 20 minute commuter train ride away from the nearest enrollment centre.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:59 pm

<del>
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Hockeywife88
I only listed my bc on my application. My old passport had expired and I don't have a dl.
Best to renew the passport as soon as you can so you can bring it with you. You need the passport to use the Global Entry kiosks.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:43 am

Question: I just moved to the U.S. (from Canada) and got a new TN, am I able to update my nexus with the new TN Status number or do I have to go to the airport in-person?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.