Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PacUpGo
First time using NEXUS @ GE kiosk returning to US from EU a couple of weeks ago @ EWR & I ended up in queue since machines ( tried 3 different ones ) did not recognize me as TT .
Since then I read that if one has a green card then that is what one uses @ GE machines & not the NEXUS card ... any one confirm this ? I also have tried calling GOES support # a few times the last few days to ask them but only get a recorded message that the call cannot go through @ this time & to please try again ... anyone have a # that works ?
What did you insert into the machine? From what was mentioned on this thread a while back, if you're departing Canada you can use the NEXUS card in the GE kiosk in pre-clearance (I've personally confirmed that this works) but that at kiosks in the US you can only use your passport (or maybe green card.. I don't have one so I wouldn't be able to test).

Did you happen to try using your passport? Just wondering if you only tried 3 machines with your NEXUS card, why didn't you try your passport in any of them?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Re the customs form, the way I have it figured is:
The GE form is in the GE machine, i.e., it asks the same questions on the machine as the form asks.
The NEXUS machine says "did you answer yes to any of the questions on the form?" which presupposes a completed form.
Into Canada via NEXUS, you need the form.
Into USA via GE, you use the terminal which is equivalent to the form.
The NEXUS machines into USA have disappeared from the places I go. They may still be elsewhere but I have not seen lately.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:27 pm

Question

Originally Posted by xero9
What did you insert into the machine? From what was mentioned on this thread a while back, if you're departing Canada you can use the NEXUS card in the GE kiosk in pre-clearance (I've personally confirmed that this works) but that at kiosks in the US you can only use your passport (or maybe green card.. I don't have one so I wouldn't be able to test).

Did you happen to try using your passport? Just wondering if you only tried 3 machines with your NEXUS card, why didn't you try your passport in any of them?
sorry didn't wade through the whole thread !
I did try my passport as well but maybe after a couple of tries I was locked out ? There was someone standing with me @ the machine ... perhaps the camera caught their image instead of mine ... then when i repeatedly tried again the info. didn't jive . I even asked an agent standing there if I was doing it correctly & the answer was yes . I had thought the TT card would be the one you used in a TT machine since all info ( i.e. passport ) is within it & that is what you use @ land border crossings (which I have done many times ) My mistake for not looking into it before using but I would still like to talk to a GOES agent just to make sure there are no other issues involved .
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I did try my passport as well but maybe after a couple of tries I was locked out ? There was someone standing with me @ the machine ... perhaps the camera caught their image instead of mine ... then when i repeatedly tried again the info. didn't jive . I even asked an agent standing there if I was doing it correctly & the answer was yes . I had thought the TT card would be the one you used in a TT machine since all info ( i.e. passport ) is within it & that is what you use @ land border crossings (which I have done many times ) My mistake for not looking into it before using but I would still like to talk to a GOES agent just to make sure there are no other issues involved .
Which airport did you experience this at?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
First time using NEXUS @ GE kiosk returning to US from EU a couple of weeks ago @ EWR & I ended up in queue since machines ( tried 3 different ones ) did not recognize me as TT .
Since then I read that if one has a green card then that is what one uses @ GE machines & not the NEXUS card ... any one confirm this ? I also have tried calling GOES support # a few times the last few days to ask them but only get a recorded message that the call cannot go through @ this time & to please try again ... anyone have a # that works ?
US agent should have told you how it works at your interview. By the way, technically, you don't use "Nexus" at a GE kiosk, you are using GE.

Yes, if you have a green card, that is what you use at the GE machine. If you are not a permanent resident, you're supposed to use your passport. If you are a US permanent resident, but insert your passport instead, it should recognize you as a GC holder and ask you to use it instead.

Finally, if the reader doesn't recognize the documents properly, there is a button on screen you can press that says "Problem reading document?" And pressing that will allow you to enter your passport or GC # manually.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:14 am

Oh no worries! I wasn't being critical of you in any way. I just wanted to mention something I had recalled reading many many pages back that was possibly relevant to your issue.

That's really strange that your passport didn't work though. I'm not sure that what was in the field of view of the camera would make a difference. I believe the first thing you do is insert your passport and the camera doesn't come in to play until towards the end.

So what happened when you tried using your passport? If my memory is correct:

-You press something on the screen to start the process
-Prompts you to insert your passport
-Confirm your flight details
-Answer the questions about what you're bringing with you
-Fingerprints
-Takes picture
-Prints receipt

I'm guessing you only made it to step 2

I've never been to a GE office before, but the NEXUS office used to have a dummy NEXUS kiosk. Wondering if the GE offices have a dummy GE kiosk you can try it out on. Failing that I'd log in to GOES and verify your passport information is correct, or else visit an office and see if they can check your account.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Quick question. I use NEXUS for personal travel, and that's how I registered. I have a one-off conference coming up in Ireland next month and then maybe a once-off conference trip to the States over the summer. The rest of my travels will be entirely for visiting friends and family and touristy-type stuff.

The CBSA website says I need to go into the office to update reason of travel, but is that just if my reasons permanently change, or do I need to go every time my reason for travel changes?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:20 pm

My understanding was that the default reason for travel was for the majority, but the occasional different purpose you just indicate. My usual is business (B1) but when I am going for leisure, I put leisure (B2). In that way, it becomes obvious if you are indicating the other one more than the one you put as your default, and then you should change the default.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:03 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wsommerv
Quick question. I use NEXUS for personal travel, and that's how I registered. I have a one-off conference coming up in Ireland next month and then maybe a once-off conference trip to the States over the summer. The rest of my travels will be entirely for visiting friends and family and touristy-type stuff.

The CBSA website says I need to go into the office to update reason of travel, but is that just if my reasons permanently change, or do I need to go every time my reason for travel changes?
No, it won't be an issue at all. 6 years ago when I applied for business travel, it simply meant I was then asked detailed questions about my employer, if I carried a laptop, who owned the laptop, if I would be leaving anything in the US on trips, etc. Turns out I had an agent on a bad day, according to an agent I talked to years later

I asked the same about personal travel, and they said that they simply want to know the primary travel reason - if you mainly travel on business, or for personal reasons. If you have additional trips other than your primary reason, there are no issues.

So unless your primary means of travel has changed, you don't need to make any changes. Currently I do around 70% business, 30% personal.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:46 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by emcampbe
US agent should have told you how it works at your interview. By the way, technically, you don't use "Nexus" at a GE kiosk, you are using GE.

Yes, if you have a green card, that is what you use at the GE machine. If you are not a permanent resident, you're supposed to use your passport. If you are a US permanent resident, but insert your passport instead, it should recognize you as a GC holder and ask you to use it instead.

Finally, if the reader doesn't recognize the documents properly, there is a button on screen you can press that says "Problem reading document?" And pressing that will allow you to enter your passport or GC # manually.
The Nexus agents never told me how/what to use @ the kiosks during my interview so that is why I erroneously assumed it was the actual Nexus card plus the agent @ EWR airport ( where they are not the friendliest in general ) also did not advise me to use my green card even after I showed him all my documents . I never got beyond step 2 as my passport was not accepted . Just an off day I guess , lucky me Thanks to all the info here I will @ least know the procedure next time , ha ! Feel a bit foolish
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:51 pm

The Nexus agents never told me how/what to use @ the kiosks during my interview so that is why I erroneously assumed it was the actual Nexus card
When you log in to GOES, do you have this message at the bottom of the page?

Global Entry Benefit: As a NEXUS member, you can now use the Global Entry kiosks located at the top 20 major U.S. international airports to enter the U.S. To use the Global Entry kiosks, you must use a valid machine readable passport. Do not use your NEXUS card in the kiosk, but you may wish to carry it with you. There is no additional cost to use Global Entry, and you may use it for the duration of your NEXUS membership. Additional information about Global Entry can be found at http://www.GlobalEntry.gov/. If you do not wish to use Global Entry kiosks, please disregard this message.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:43 pm

I have been using my NEXUS until the last couple of times, when I used my passport, even though I knew from this thread that the NEXUS card was not supposed to be used. I figured if it worked, why not? It seems poor design for them to make it work if they don't want it used. Like, if they don't want the card used, put a flag on the NEXUS bar code that is linked to the passport so that the GE machine displays the message "We know who you are but we want you to put your passport, not your NEXUS card, in the machine."
Edited to add, last time I passed through, this sad sack guy was standing there in the long line for the X and O officer because he could not figure out how to use the GE machine. I finally showed him where to put the NEXUS card but he did not seem to have a passport handy. Once he used the NEXUS, he was on his way. Maybe I abetted a traveller who was breaking the "never leave the passport at home" rule. Oops my bad.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:27 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I have been using my NEXUS until the last couple of times, when I used my passport, even though I knew from this thread that the NEXUS card was not supposed to be used.
The NEXUS card can be used in Global Entry kiosks only at Canadian preclearance airports. Since the NEXUS kiosks that were used to enter US preclearance have been removed, to allow transborder air travel with just the NEXUS card + biometrics (iris scan for NEXUS kiosks, fingerprints for Global Entry kiosks) those kiosks, and only those kiosks, have been programmed to accept NEXUS cards.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:28 pm

Thanks! Good catch.
This creates a whole new layer of ambiguity introducing the new concept of "allow transborder air travel with just the NEXUS card + biometrics" when we've been told that having our passport on our person is a requirement of the program.
Still, it's good to know I am not breaking rules using the card in the machine. I am not cut out for rule breaking.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:04 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyquiet
This creates a whole new layer of ambiguity introducing the new concept of "allow transborder air travel with just the NEXUS card + biometrics" when we've been told that having our passport on our person is a requirement of the program.
It's not new. The WHTI Final Rule for air travel was published in November, 2006 and says in IV: Conclusion:
a NEXUS Air membership card is a document sufficient to denote identity and citizenship for United States citizens, Canadian citizens, and permanent residents of Canada when arriving in the United States as a NEXUS Air program participant and when using a NEXUS Air kiosk at designated airports. Accordingly, United States and Canadian citizens who present an NEXUS Air card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk, would continue to be exempt from the requirement to present a passport when arriving in the United States at air ports- of-entry.
The NEXUS Air card has been subsumed into the single NEXUS card and the NEXUS Air kiosks at the Canadian preclearance airports have been replaced by Global Entry kiosks, so the current equivalent to this is the use of a NEXUS card at a preclearance airport's Global Entry kiosk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.