Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CKDGM
It's not new. The WHTI Final Rule for air travel was published in November, 2006 and says in ...
I don't mean "new" policy, just new information for me, and possibly for subscribers for the thread. Good to know. Appreciate you posting it.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
we've been told that having our passport on our person is a requirement of the program.
We haven't been told that. For most people, A NEXUS card is acceptable in lieu of a passport for air travel between Canada and the USA. A passport may also be required for some NEXUS users (special visas, permanent residents with third country passports, etc).

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...-eng.html#_s1a

It's not just CBSA and CBP you need to worry about though. Airlines may have different ideas about whether you need a passport or not.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:09 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Technically you don't need a passport (only NEXUS card required) between US/Canada but in practice you'll better off having the passport with you due to misinformed airline agents requiring it so that they avoid being reprimand/terminated for not enforcing airline policy.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:52 am

Don't want to go around in this discussion again. I think we've generally concluded that it's safer to have the passport in the event that someone demands it, notwithstanding the language although some take the view that it is not obligatory.

I do clearly recall being told to have the passport with me in the discussion during the interview, and in being given the Guide, which says
Please be aware that the following program violations will result in the loss of your NEXUS membership:
■ Failure to carry or produce any additional identification documents that may be required for entry into Canada or the U.S., i.e. passport, work or study permit, permanent residency card, etc.;
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5095-eng.pdf

I will agree with you that there is a case to be made that the passport is not "any ... documents ... required" given the language that NEXUS card can be used for entry at both Canada and the US.

However, this booklet is given ONLY to NEXUS recipients, and therefore assumes they will have NEXUS, and yet does not omit passport from the list of "any additional identification documents that may be required for entry into Canada or the U.S."

Therefore I am going to read it on the side of conflict avoidance, and interpret as a passport might in some cases be "required" to avoid being deemed in violation and losing my NEXUS.

I am not imposing my interpretation on anyone. I'm quite possibly being a fraidy cat. However, as I've posted before, I don't find it burdensome to carry the passport therefore there's no downside for me to interpreting it as I have.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:01 pm

Therefore I am going to read it on the side of conflict avoidance, and interpret as a passport might in some cases be "required" to avoid being deemed in violation and losing my NEXUS.

I am not imposing my interpretation on anyone. I'm quite possibly being a fraidy cat. However, as I've posted before, I don't find it burdensome to carry the passport therefore there's no downside for me to interpreting it as I have.
It's funny, because in air mode, like yourself I will always carry my passport with me. In land mode though, and I kid you not I had this happen.. The lady more or less demanded my passport. I was half way through a 9 hour when I hit this point and I didn't really care to argue it, so I gave her my passport.

Sometimes you do need to fight, and I did contact that POE and was told that if it happens again to ask to speak with a supervisor inside as the NEXUS card alone was sufficient to prove citizenship.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:26 pm

Last time I asked to speak to a supervisor at a POE, they "deported" me: denied me access to anyone other than the officer, refused me entry, and gave me a card that forced me to explain to my own country's border officer why I had been refused admission to the USA. So, people can do what they want, but I'm carrying the passport as long as there are eagle badges on people with attitude problems.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:20 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
However, this booklet is given ONLY to NEXUS recipients, and therefore assumes they will have NEXUS, and yet does not omit passport from the list of "any additional identification documents that may be required for entry into Canada or the U.S."
NEXUS members may be US citizens, Canadian citizens, third-country citizens who are US lawful permanent residents, or third-country citizens who are lawful permanent residents of Canada.

The NEXUS card is a valid travel document for US citizens or Canadian citizens, not LPRs. Third-country LPRs (living in either US or CA) will need additional documents (most likely a passport, though US LPRs entering the US must use their I-551).

Note also that the DHS's own comparison chart of TT programs says that a passport is not required to apply for NEXUS....
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:14 pm

Makes sense!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
True, a passport is not required to apply for Nexus. A great many in the program, Canadian & American don't have or need one. But as this is Flyertalk, a Nexus without an iris scan is merely a land crossing card. They make it clear at the interview for the need to have on your possession a passport, if you intend to enter the US or Canada from an airport.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:50 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by surreycrv
But as this is Flyertalk, a Nexus without an iris scan is merely a land crossing card.
To be completely accurate, a NEXUS card without an associated iris scan cannot be used to enter Canada by air; since the replacement of NEXUS kiosks at US preclearance facilities, a NEXUS card user must have their fingerprints on file with CBP to use NEXUS to enter the US via those facilities.

Originally Posted by surreycrv
They make it clear at the interview for the need to have on your possession a passport, if you intend to enter the US or Canada from an airport.
If you are a US or Canadian citizen with appropriate biometrics on file and are making a transborder trip via a designated NEXUS airport, you may use your NEXUS card in lieu of a passport even for air travel.

This is stated by each of the following (emphasis added by me in each case):
CBSA NEXUS FAQ: "If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes."
NEXUS member letter, Apr 2014: "Members entering into the United States, from Canada, can use either their NEXUS card or their registered passport at any of the eight international airports that offer US preclearance."
CBP NEXUS card information page and NEXUS card at Global Entry Kiosk FAQ: "When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card."
DHS/Department of State Final Rule "Documents Required for Travelers Departing From or Arriving in the United States at Air Ports-of-Entry From Within the Western Hemisphere" (2006):
8 CFR 235.1(e): "United States citizens, Canadian citizens, and permanent residents of Canada who are traveling as participants in the NEXUS Air program, may present, in lieu of a passport, a valid NEXUS Air membership card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk prior to entering the United States." (NEXUS Air is no longer a separate program, and NEXUS kiosks for US-bound travelers have been replaced by Global Entry kiosks as noted above)
22 CFR 41.2(a): "A passport is not required for Canadian citizens entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere by land or sea, or by air as participants in the NEXUS Air program pursuant to 8 CFR 235.1(e)."
22 CFR 53.2(e): "United States citizens who are traveling as participants in the NEXUS Air program, may present, in lieu of a passport, a valid NEXUS Air membership card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk prior to entering the United States."

CFR 2015:
22 CFR 41.2(a)(1): "A Canadian citizen who is traveling as a participant in the NEXUS program, and who is not otherwise required to present a passport and visa as provided in paragraphs (k) and (m) of this section and 8 CFR 212.1, may present a valid NEXUS program card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk"
22 CFR 53.2(b) "A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States" (4): "When traveling as a participant in the NEXUS program, he or she may present a valid NEXUS program card when using a NEXUS Air kiosk"

I have seen no evidence of a change in 22 CFR since the 2015 publication.

The Canadian equivalent legal citation appears to be Presentation of Persons (2003) Regulations:
6.1 "The Minister may issue an authorization that is recognized in both Canada and the United States to a person, other than a commercial driver, to present themself in the alternative manners described in paragraph 11(a), subparagraph 11(d)(ii) and paragraph 11(e)" combined with "11 Persons may present themselves in one of the following alternative manners if they have been authorized to do so: (a) on arrival in Canada aboard a commercial aircraft at a commercial airport that is a designated customs office, by means of an electronic device"
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I wonder if there is any instruction video or manual showing how to use the nexus card in the GE kiosks at US pre clearance facilities at canadian airports?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:57 pm

There is a video right on the kiosk that shows a passport. It is not too much of a stretch to have to match the orientation of that band of hieroglyphic letters on the passport to the same band on the NEXUS card and stick the card in on the glass scanner bed in the same orientation.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:41 pm

Question on the retina scan,

My significant other is interviewing soon for her NEXUS card, likely either in Warroad or Pembina on our way to Winnipeg (more appointments are available.) If she's approved in Warroad or Pembina, can we go the same day to the Winnipeg Airport and get the retina scan done?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:18 pm

Nitpick: It's not a retina scan, just an iris scan.
I believe people have posted about same-day scans following the interview, when the interview location doesn't do them.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:13 pm

I am new to here, not sure how to post a new thread.

My question is: what would happen if a person has been interviewed for weeks but the website still has no updates - same as before interview.

My husband and I went for an Nexus interview in YVR on Jan 20. I've received my card but he has not got any updates yet. The Goes website site shows exactly the same as what it was before the interview. I wonder if he is under further check but it does not sound reasonable as the background check should have been done before interview, correct? I phoned them twice but could only leave a message. No feedback at all till today.

Any idea of what's happening here? What should we do?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.