Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
I had a similar experience in YVR last spring, when nothing changed for me for about six weeks. I left a couple voicemail messages and got no response. I finally called one of the main CBSA Nexus numbers and spoke to a human. She pointed out that I should be calling the CBP---I'm American---but she was able to do something on her system and I was almost immediately approved. Good luck!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:46 pm

Thanks mistermap!

My husband is a Canadian and I am a PR. Maybe I should go to the office to talk.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Nitpick: It's not a retina scan, just an iris scan.
I believe people have posted about same-day scans following the interview, when the interview location doesn't do them.
yup, just walk up to the counter at the new location. In and out in a few minutes.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
If you are a US or Canadian citizen with appropriate biometrics on file and are making a transborder trip via a designated NEXUS airport, you may use your NEXUS card in lieu of a passport even for air travel.

This is stated by each of the following (emphasis added by me in each case): <snipped>
Excellent links and true as that all may be, the airlines may have very different ideas about whether or not you need a passport. Even if CBSA and CBP are fine with just a NEXUS card for transborder travel, that's not much use if you don't ever get to see them because the airline didn't even let you on the plane.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: A few, *G,
Just remember the operative word is may in those statutes. If they used shall then a strong case can would be made that a passport is superfluous.

If we look at the differing meanings and intentions posters on this board (or the internet in whole) use that are arguable, then it is reasonable to assume that a cbp/cbsa officer may have a differing meaning than one of his or her peers. All on account of an interpretation of a word or phrase.

Personally I'd rather not get into a scotus/scc case law discussion while clearing customs and immigration if asked for my passport. ymmv
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Last time I asked to speak to a supervisor at a POE, they "deported" me: denied me access to anyone other than the officer, refused me entry, and gave me a card that forced me to explain to my own country's border officer why I had been refused admission to the USA. So, people can do what they want, but I'm carrying the passport as long as there are eagle badges on people with attitude problems.
Canada's Customs Act specifically states that you can request a supervisor at every turn (secondary, bag search, denial of entry). It would surprise me if the US's law didn't say the same thing. Of course, can you do anything about that? Probably not
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Walking
I am new to here, not sure how to post a new thread.

My question is: what would happen if a person has been interviewed for weeks but the website still has no updates - same as before interview.

My husband and I went for an Nexus interview in YVR on Jan 20. I've received my card but he has not got any updates yet. The Goes website site shows exactly the same as what it was before the interview. I wonder if he is under further check but it does not sound reasonable as the background check should have been done before interview, correct? I phoned them twice but could only leave a message. No feedback at all till today.

Any idea of what's happening here? What should we do?

Thanks!
This happened to my hubby and I. We had our interview at YYZ together, was told that we're both approved. My GOES account was updated by the time we got home but nothing on Hubby's. I gave it a couple of days, then called the YYZ office and left a voicemail but no return call so I just kept calling and calling and finally got someone on the phone after trying for a couple of days. They told me that they weren't sure if his finger prints were clear enough and was waiting for the supervisor to approve them - if he didn't approve, he'd have to go back to get them redone. Surprise, surprise, he was approved the next day.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jadephoenixx
This happened to my hubby and I. We had our interview at YYZ together, was told that we're both approved. My GOES account was updated by the time we got home but nothing on Hubby's. I gave it a couple of days, then called the YYZ office and left a voicemail but no return call so I just kept calling and calling and finally got someone on the phone after trying for a couple of days. They told me that they weren't sure if his finger prints were clear enough and was waiting for the supervisor to approve them - if he didn't approve, he'd have to go back to get them redone. Surprise, surprise, he was approved the next day.
Same thing here. Had my appointment on Jan 23rd and everything seemed fine. They were friendly and joked with me, but the American guy was distracted after taking my prints by saying goodbye to someone leaving on Mat Leave. Maybe he didn't submit them properly...

It took me 6 hours to get in touch with a human at the YYZ phone number and the woman told me that maybe it's just taking a while for my prints to clear. I don't see why it should take so long when I've never been arrested and all my friends got their approval within a few days. So much for getting my card to travel with by this weekend. I was really looking forward to it.

Edit: That phone call was all it took. Approval notice 1 hour later.

Last edited by endeneu; Feb 9, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:48 pm

Nitpick: It's not a retina scan, just an iris scan.
I believe people have posted about same-day scans following the interview, when the interview location doesn't do them.
Originally Posted by surreycrv
yup, just walk up to the counter at the new location. In and out in a few minutes.
Sounds good, thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., AC Alt. E50+, AP DD; BA Gold, OW Emerald
HI All,

I just received conditional approval and my nexus screening appointment is booked for April 28 in Halifax.

Does anyone have a feel for how often cancellations happen in Halifax?

I'm traveling on 3/27/16 and was hoping to have my card. Just wondered how realistic that was.

Thanks in advance.

PK
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:02 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pkdi
I just received conditional approval and my nexus screening appointment is booked for April 28 in Halifax.

Does anyone have a feel for how often cancellations happen in Halifax?
Log into GOEs hourly (or more) and check for earlier appointments. Seriously, there are cancellations all the time as other people move their appointments up, can't make it, etc., and there is no waitlist.

Just did the same for Ottawa - took a day and a half of frequently checking, but I've already moved up from May to March.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Do we have a definitive answer on how to update Nexus when you have renewed your passport? I have seen discussion saying it is no longer necessary to go into border office to do it and can be done online. I am Canadian, just want to make sure that both border sides are updated properly.

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by airswim
Do we have a definitive answer on how to update Nexus when you have renewed your passport? I have seen discussion saying it is no longer necessary to go into border office to do it and can be done online. I am Canadian, just want to make sure that both border sides are updated properly.

Thanks
The only official published word from both CBSA and CBP is to update your passport in GOES and that visiting a NEXUS office in person is NOT required for this purpose.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...f5095-eng.html
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5095-eng.pdf
https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/common/..._cardholder_10

There are some anecdotal reports in this thread of CBSA officers insisting, contrary to official program rules, that visits to the office in person are required for passport updates. But there is no official source for that. Furthermore, there have been no reports, not even anecdotal, of anyone losing their membership over updating their passport in GOES and not in person.

Last edited by Kiraly; Feb 14, 2016 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Kiraly
There are some anecdotal reports in this thread of CBSA officers insisting, contrary to official program rules, that visits to the office in person are required for passport updates. But there is no official source for that. Furthermore, there have been no reports, not even anecdotal, of anyone losing their membership over updating their passport in GOES and not in person.
I was told last weekend at Nexus YVR Urban Center, a in person visit to any Nexus office is required to update new passport information. Appointment is not required.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Kiraly
The only official published word from both CBSA and CBP is to update your passport in GOES and that visiting a NEXUS office in person is NOT required for this purpose.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...f5095-eng.html
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5095-eng.pdf
https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/common/..._cardholder_10

Thanks, will update online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.