Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by xero9
I remember someone else asking many many pages back. Basically, no. You'll have to wait.

The general experience is that you'll get it in 7 days more or less. Wifey and I received them in 8 and 7 days respectively. This includes the weekend.

So long as you receive the confirmation email that the application has been approved shortly after leaving the interview you'll most likely get the card before you leave for your trip.
Hmm that's good then, I kept thinking it took like 4 weeks, or maybe that's my EDL... too many cards.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlashEngineer
Hmm that's good then, I kept thinking it took like 4 weeks, or maybe that's my EDL... too many cards.
It took 4-6 weeks for my EDL, so that's probably it.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, Jet Blue, Unitedd, Delta, Hilton, Marriot
Prescription medications

I had my Iris scan, fingerprints and interview yesterday at Buffalo/Ft. Erie.
Things went very quickly, it was a surprisingly pleasant experience.

However, one of the comments by the US Customs Officers has been stuck in my head. He said that prescription medications cannot put in a medication bar (compartments for each day of the week) unless you have paper prescription copies to back up the pills.
I was taken aback, First, I have never had a medication bar questioned or even looked at by customs. Second, what a pain that is going to be to get paper prescriptions, if this is ever enforced.
He then said, "well, you can just bring the meds, still in their pharmacy bottle with the info on the bottle. Then put the pills in the med bar when you reach your destination."
I guess option #2 is the least painful option, if you need to travel with medications.

Has anyone had any problems, or been questioned about having pills without their corresponding prescriptions?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlashEngineer
I have Nexus cards for myself and my wife, son but going to interview for my second son tomorrow. I was wondering if there was anyway to speed up receiving the card, it says 8-10 days (business or just day?) I don't remember how long my card took last time.

Could I pay an expedited fee or something to get it faster? We're travelling end of the month and I'm afraid I won't be able to get it in time and can't use the Nexus program.
Not sure if you can get it expedited. But did Nexus for our (infant) daughter a few weeks ago. Interview was a Monday at YYZ. Card arrived here in the CVG area the following Monday. Came from Washington DC this time, which I found odd since our cards have always come from Vermont.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shamwow86
I had my Iris scan, fingerprints and interview yesterday at Buffalo/Ft. Erie.
Things went very quickly, it was a surprisingly pleasant experience.

However, one of the comments by the US Customs Officers has been stuck in my head. He said that prescription medications cannot put in a medication bar (compartments for each day of the week) unless you have paper prescription copies to back up the pills.
I was taken aback, First, I have never had a medication bar questioned or even looked at by customs. Second, what a pain that is going to be to get paper prescriptions, if this is ever enforced.
He then said, "well, you can just bring the meds, still in their pharmacy bottle with the info on the bottle. Then put the pills in the med bar when you reach your destination."
I guess option #2 is the least painful option, if you need to travel with medications.

Has anyone had any problems, or been questioned about having pills without their corresponding prescriptions?
Its an extremely bad idea to ever take prescription drugs across any international border without proof of it being prescribed to you. If you leave it in the bottle it comes in, with the label noting it is for you, with prescribing Dr. info. on it, etc. should be sufficient, as mentioned, with the last solution being pretty easy. Not bringing the prescription or original bottle, you are potentially subjecting yourself to questions that you probably don't want to be asked and potentially accused of things you don't want to be accused of, and which would almost certainly lead to removal of you from a trusted traveler program.

I don't even know if you'd want to bring in over-the-counter meds from one country to another where it is not. For example, muscle relaxants like Robaxacet are available over-the-counter in Canada, but require a prescription in the US. Don't even think it would be wise to bring that into the US unless you have a prescription for it.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not sure if you can get it expedited. But did Nexus for our (infant) daughter a few weeks ago. Interview was a Monday at YYZ. Card arrived here in the CVG area the following Monday. Came from Washington DC this time, which I found odd since our cards have always come from Vermont.
Out of curiosity, how did the the NEXUS process go for your daughter? My wife is expecting later this year and will obviously want to get NEXUS for them. Obviously they don't do the iris scan or finger prints. What kind of questions do they ask? And do they some how take a webcam photo of the baby? I can only imagine how that will turn out, lol.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xero9
Out of curiosity, how did the the NEXUS process go for your daughter? My wife is expecting later this year and will obviously want to get NEXUS for them. Obviously they don't do the iris scan or finger prints. What kind of questions do they ask? And do they some how take a webcam photo of the baby? I can only imagine how that will turn out, lol.
Everything went well. No questions asked at all. They do the picture for the card, and I think we were lucky to get it done the first try - last time i was in the office before this, there was a couple trying for about 20 minutes to get the picture done of their baby (I think they officers insist on eyes being opened, and baby there was crying). My wife fed our daughter while we were waiting, and i think that helped a lot to have the baby happy enough for the photo. Actually came out decently on the card (given the general quality of photos on Nexus).

Also handed us a no iris sticker for to put on the back of her card when it was received, so officers are aware of that. You can just go up to the crew line with the baby for processing into Canada. US doesn't do fingerprints for infants either, so we were told to do GE process for us, and take a regular customs card for baby and give along with Nexus card to the officer on duty in the GE area for clearance in the US. Though I have also heard others say you can use the GE machine, it will recognize there are no fingerprints, you can fill out the customs info. on-screen, the receipt will print out an X and the officer on duty will clear them. YMMV, I guess?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:47 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if a Nexus cardholder (which I guess is also considered Global Entry) able to use Global Entry associated systems such as Easypass in germany?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by punchbuggy
Hi,

Does anyone know if a Nexus cardholder (which I guess is also considered Global Entry) able to use Global Entry associated systems such as Easypass in germany?
If you're an American, you must register with the German police in order to participate.
If you're not American but participate in GE, you still can't.
(unless you possess another nationality that participates in the programme.)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
EasyPass-RTP is available for all US (and HKSAR) passport holders regardless of GE membership.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:27 pm

Nexus enrollment centre at YHZ on Canada Day

Anyone knows if the Nexus Enrollment Centre at YHZ opens on Canada Day? Want to do a retina scan because my previous one is invalid.

Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by khkchan
Anyone knows if the Nexus Enrollment Centre at YHZ opens on Canada Day? Want to do a retina scan because my previous one is invalid.
I know it's a little late, but I believe they should be open. On the list of enrollment centers it lists the hours and it seems only two of them specifically say "excluding holidays", both of which are non-airport locations.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:50 am

Exclamation Canada PR applying Nexus from USA residence address

Hello All,

I became Canada PR (Permanent Resident) couple of months back, and received the PR card.

I am an Indian citizen and right now I work in Washington DC area on H1B visa. By end of this year, I am planning to move my Job to Detroit, and commute from Windsor, Ontario.

Since Nexus would be helpful to cross the border between Detroit, and Windsor, I am planning to apply for Nexus Card from Washington DC area, before I move to Detorit/Windsor area.

I have been working in USA for last 5 years, and never left the country and become Canada PR, so I believe I am eligible for Nexus card.

Now my question is, Would it create any problem in Issuing the Nexus if I apply it with my Washington DC address.

I know I could make it easy by just applying nexus after moving to Windsor, but I just want to apply for it because I have all required documents and I am eligible, and I can't move there right away.

Thanks in advance for your inputs/comments.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:36 pm

I can't say for certain, but I don't think it should cause any issues. You should be able to provide you new address information when you go for the interview.

Just on a side note though..If I'm not mistaken, you're living in Canada and working in the US, you won't be able to count any days you commute to work towards residency in either country.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:23 pm

Would anyone know the opening hours of the YUL Nexus office for a passport update (to have them scan my new passport)? I see on their website that it’s open every day from 8AM to 4PM but I think these are the hours for the interviews and even at that I think they take interviews later on some days.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.