Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deb1380
does anyone know if Lansdown Ontario has iris scanner and do all locations have fingerprinting? Just wondering it much quicker to get an interview in Lansdown than Ottawa
All locations do fingerprinting. Only locations physically in Canada do iris scans. Complete details available on their website.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by greglvnv
I was asked to show them my birth certificate from overseas to prove my birth name and place of birth, so you just never know what they are going to ask you for.
True enough. At our family interview we were asked to produce birth certificates, even though none of the documentation said we needed to bring them. They proceeded with the interviews, but afterwards I had to go home, retrieve the birth certificates, return and present them before our applications were approved.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Friend Just had NEXUS Card Pulled.. Now what?

Here's the situation... U.S. Citizen Nexus card holder... Married Canadian 3 years later Finally got Canada Residency (PR) card... (it's not a "90day U.S. Green Card situation for anybody thinking of moving to Canada because of Trump election) 2 Days before leaving for Australia Trip.. Fly back into YVR enters on 11/6 on Nexus no big deal, nothing mentioned by Customs

drives into US Blaine WA Boarder Nexus Crossing on 11/10 - gets pulled into Secondary by U.S. ... gets NEXUS Card taken away because it expired on 11/8 - "why didn't you renew it... ?" - because Canada CBSA told us no Nexus name changes (married name, new Canada Driver's license from USA - new Resident address) on Renewals by Canada Immigration are allowed until Canada PR card is issued or it "resets /delays the application... (with refugees from Syria the system is already overloaded & it's impossible to get anybody from Canada Immigration to respond -even if your Member of Parliment gets personally involved)

so now what?

The agent say they were not "pulling her Nexus" but rather "taking an expired Nexus card away.. so does she now need to "start over & reapply / 6 month interview wait? - she is now in the U.S. but her U.S. Passport is at her home in Canada... I think she left her Canada PR card in Canada as Nexus is the travel document she uses that got taken away.. so can you enter Canada on a BC Driver's license? (unlike WA State - BC requires legal status in the country to get one) to I guess get her U.S. passport to be able to travel back to the states.. on the Nexus expired renewal - can you stop into an office to fix this - or entirely new application required? - is this a "violation" & reason for "renewal denial" for attempting to enter the U.S. on a 2 day expired Nexus.. or is it up to the "interviewing agent" - this is really mostly a issue Women face when getting married with names changes.. not men

Last edited by kevinfor; Nov 11, 2016 at 12:00 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
My understanding is expiration date on NEXUS card is one and the same as NEXUS expiration.

So sounds like NEXUS is already expired when traveler entered US on NOV 10. Even if all CBP did was merely took the expired card away, traveler would still need to go thru renewal process. Not sure if renewal is any faster than a new application. In any case, it is not something you can "drop by an office" to fix.

Traveler should research whether BC driver's license is enough to get back into Canada or FedEx the passport to US to enter Canada.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If her BC drivers license is an Enhanced Drivers License, then yes, she may use it to enter Canada by a land crossing. However I am quite sure she has only a regular DL as the Enhanced DL is only available to Canadian citizens, which it seems she is not. So if it is just a regular drivers license, then no, it will not be enough for her to enter Canada with. She'll have to get her passport sent down to her in the US.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kevinfor
Friend Just had NEXUS Card Pulled.. Now what?

Here's the situation... U.S. Citizen Nexus card holder... Married Canadian 3 years later Finally got Canada Residency (PR) card... (it's not a "90day U.S. Green Card situation for anybody thinking of moving to Canada because of Trump election) 2 Days before leaving for Australia Trip.. Fly back into YVR enters on 11/6 on Nexus no big deal, nothing mentioned by Customs

drives into US Blaine WA Boarder Nexus Crossing on 11/10 - gets pulled into Secondary by U.S. ... gets NEXUS Card taken away because it expired on 11/8 - "why didn't you renew it... ?" - because Canada CBSA told us no Nexus name changes (married name, new Canada Driver's license from USA - new Resident address) on Renewals by Canada Immigration are allowed until Canada PR card is issued or it "resets /delays the application... (with refugees from Syria the system is already overloaded & it's impossible to get anybody from Canada Immigration to respond -even if your Member of Parliment gets personally involved)

so now what?

The agent say they were not "pulling her Nexus" but rather "taking an expired Nexus card away.. so does she now need to "start over & reapply / 6 month interview wait? - she is now in the U.S. but her U.S. Passport is at her home in Canada... I think she left her Canada PR card in Canada as Nexus is the travel document she uses that got taken away.. so can you enter Canada on a BC Driver's license? (unlike WA State - BC requires legal status in the country to get one) to I guess get her U.S. passport to be able to travel back to the states.. on the Nexus expired renewal - can you stop into an office to fix this - or entirely new application required? - is this a "violation" & reason for "renewal denial" for attempting to enter the U.S. on a 2 day expired Nexus.. or is it up to the "interviewing agent" - this is really mostly a issue Women face when getting married with names changes.. not men
I'm a little confused. Regardless of her ability to renew because of pending PR status, she attempted to enter the US on an invalid document. Did she not realize her Nexus was expired? If not, why is that the only valid travel document she brought?

Sounds like the story is missing something - not suggesting you are hiding it - but does sound like a piece of the puzzle is missing.

If there was no documentation, I'd be very careful about reading the renewal application and what it asks...especially if the US noted this incident, could be considered some sort of immigration violation that may need to be reported on the app. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but sounds to me like potentially, it could be an issue.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:27 pm

Anyone know if the nexus machine accepts passports or only nexus cards?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:07 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Anyone know if the nexus machine accepts passports or only nexus cards?
The NEXUS kiosks entering Canada only accept NEXUS cards. (Or, I suppose, CANPASS Air if you're one of the few people still using that instead of NEXUS.) They also require that CBSA have your iris scans on file.

The Global Entry kiosks for entering the US at Canadian preclearance airports will take a NEXUS card, a passport, or an I-551 card (for US lawful permanent residents).

Global Entry kiosks elsewhere (within the US, or at preclearance locations outside Canada) will only take a passport or I-551.

All Global Entry kiosks require that US CBP have your fingerprints on file.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Geoflying
So here's what happened - could be useful info for folks. I went there by Uber ($22.27 from YYZ to Convair Drive and $10.63 on the return - I guess the GTAA rips off Uber for airport pickups). They checked my eye scan and it worked OK. Then they figured out that my passport info was up to date in the US system (I had updated it online on the GOES website) but not on the Canadian Nexus system. Apparently the systems don't talk to each other much. Passport info is now updated in Nexus so I should be good to go.
And just to wrap this up I just arrived back from HND at YYZ and everything worked as it used to
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by landrew
I have just received notice of the expiration of my Nexus card in 6 months.

Anyone been through a renewal recently? How long does it take (YVR-SEA, if you know)? Normally I would wait assuming the sooner the card is re-issued the sooner it expires. But not if the process is now taking 6 months!

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Our family has had four Nexus renewals over the past few months. As mentioned, the card's expiry is tied to the birthdate of the holder, so renewing early does't hurt.

Of note, none of the renewals actually required us to go in-person...we applied, and the new card showed up weeks/months later. IIRC, the cards expiring first were processed quickly (4-6 weeks, with 4 months of validity left), while those submitted with 6 months of validity left were processed in 3-4 months.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:32 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Renew it now.

Expiration is still 5 years from your next birthday, so whether you renew it 11 months and 25 days before it expires or 2 days before it expires, the new expiration date will be the same. The NEXUS processing time thread has more on the current times and is the best source for updates on those, but really, why wait and add stress? If you renew now you'll have plenty of time to schedule an interview and you might not even need one.
There is a specific thread discussing NEXUS renewal timelines.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So I got my appointment scheduled in Detroit Fri Dec 5 at 5PM. How long does it usually take? From what I saw online I can get my iris scan at the windsor airport (30min drive from the CBP) from 9AM-7PM as a walk-in.
Do you think if I arrived an hour earlier to my appointment in Detroit that it would be an issue? Or at worse it seems that I can do the scan the following morning if need be (I'll be spending the night in Detroit)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
So I got my appointment scheduled in Detroit Fri Dec 5 at 5PM. How long does it usually take? From what I saw online I can get my iris scan at the windsor airport (30min drive from the CBP) from 9AM-7PM as a walk-in.
Do you think if I arrived an hour earlier to my appointment in Detroit that it would be an issue? Or at worse it seems that I can do the scan the following morning if need be (I'll be spending the night in Detroit)
Make sure the iris scan at the Windsor airport doesn't require the physical card.

When I initially booked my interview in Detroit last month, I called the Windsor Nexus office to ask whether I needed an appointment or could just walk in. I was told that I could walk in but that I needed to have my physical card. When I explained I was having my interview at Detroit earlier the same day and would not have the card, I was advised to go to a location where both the interview and scan are done at the same time. I rescheduled for Fort Erie and did both.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:15 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
Make sure the iris scan at the Windsor airport doesn't require the physical card.

When I initially booked my interview in Detroit last month, I called the Windsor Nexus office to ask whether I needed an appointment or could just walk in. I was told that I could walk in but that I needed to have my physical card. When I explained I was having my interview at Detroit earlier the same day and would not have the card, I was advised to go to a location where both the interview and scan are done at the same time. I rescheduled for Fort Erie and did both.
Thanks. I'll have to give them a call again and double check. If that is the case, I might just get the iris scan in May in YUL.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
Our family has had four Nexus renewals over the past few months [...]
Of note, none of the renewals actually required us to go in-person...we applied, and the new card showed up weeks/months later.
Are/were any of your family members under 18 while NEXUS members? Children's appearances can change a lot in 5 years, I would expect that new photos would be needed for child NEXUS members, requiring another in-person interview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.