Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Waiting for the conditional (renewal) approval (mine took 8 days) and then scheduling your own interview is definitely the better way to go.

If you are a US citizen/resident, the more in depth interview will be performed by Canadian officials, while Canadians go to US officials. However, you'll then be sent to their counterparts for a brief interview as well.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My girlfriend (Canadian) applied in early March and is still waiting - for her renewal. Its getting pretty ridiculous.
Lesterjswinkl likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Renewal?

Does anybody have NEXUS renewal report?
Lesterjswinkl likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Well, I posted the question here today, and then I got an approval notice today ^

I don't need to go to have an interview or anything for NEXUS

It says "If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks."

I've been using GE and it was attached to my NEXUS membership before the renewal.
Do I still need to re-enroll GE??? I tried online, but there is no choice for GE...
Does that mean GE is also extended another 5 years?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Took my girlfriend the full 8 weeks, minus a few days.

Yep, Canadian citizen NEXUS members have GE access.
Been that way since January 1, 2011.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I have no information, but I'm glad you started this thread. It will be a 'first' not just for GE members, but also for CBP. Hopefully there won't be bugs to work out.

I'm also curious how it will work for NEXUS members. Unless things have changed, there's no 'renewal' interview with NEXUS. In fact, I had a friend who got NEXUS immediately after it started (it sort of replaced the old CANPASS that went away after 9-11). He let his NEXUS lapse for a couple years, then when GE started up, he wanted to get a new NEXUS, then GE (it was cheaper that way). The original NEXUS didn't even have a number on the card, so when he re-applied, he called an 800 number in Canada, gave the appropriate info, got his original NEXUS number and renewed online - no new interview, even though there had been a 2-year lapse.

As soon as his NEXUS was renewed, he applied for GE, but he didn't actually get an 'interview' at the time, he just had to go in during office hours and submit his fingerprints.

Hoping it will be as simple this time around (for both NEXUS and GE).
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:35 pm

My renewal last month took about a week, so I would think a new application would probably take longer. There is a serious delay in getting the in-person appointment though. When you get to the appointment stage, make the appointment then check it as many times a day as you can. I discovered that cancellations seem to happen all the time and the time gets returned immediately for someone else to schedule. Initially I had an appointment 4 months out and it took about 3 days of checking to get an appointment 2 weeks out instead.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:18 am

NEXUS approvals have been erratic for the last year or so. My girlfriend waited the whole 8 weeks for her renewal approval to come through.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
A renewal appears to be taking 6 weeks now, and was 3 weeks ~ 2-3 months ago. Getting an interview slot is more of problem: Booking as late into October/November on the west coast.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

My recent renewal took 5-6 weeks for the new background investigations by CBSA and CBP. No need for another interview in most cases, unless something significant has changed in your profile since your original application.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Is it different for renewal? my Nexus card expired April, I am Canadian and I applied for renewal on June 6th and still pending review? Can anyone tell me how long it will take, I am planning a trip for end of August.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:36 am

Applied for a RENEWAL on June 3rd and still waiting for conditional approval. Called in today and the technician claimed heavy volume and couldn't say which side it was on. But estimates are in the 10-12 week range. Crazy...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:00 pm

Renewal

Originally Posted by smokinmike
Applied for a RENEWAL on June 3rd and still waiting for conditional approval. Called in today and the technician claimed heavy volume and couldn't say which side it was on. But estimates are in the 10-12 week range. Crazy...
thanks for update! I applied practically on same date and still pending - so the info as in the website 4-6 weeks is non-sense and a looming delay of 10-12 weeks is likely... guess I will have to travel like all the regulars this time
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by nexus52
thanks for update! I applied practically on same date and still pending - so the info as in the website 4-6 weeks is non-sense and a looming delay of 10-12 weeks is likely... guess I will have to travel like all the regulars this time
Literally received my renewal approval 5 minutes ago. Crazy. ~10 weeks of waiting for me.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:56 am

I was at YUL airport last night and dropped in Nexus office - asked the official about "waiting time" for renewal of nexus card and was told - it is between 4-12 weeks! I submitted my request to renew on June 3rd and still "pending review" status.. that's my latest update.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.