Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
My Global Entry was revoked. Does this mean I've also lost Pre-Check? If so, is it worth applying separately for pre-check?
I used pre-check way more often than GE, so that is the benefit I am concerned about losing.

Also I am a registered traveler in the UK, will this revocation impact my UK standing?

GE was revoked after I came thru DFW, went through immigration, spoke to a CBP officer there and then was pulled aside as I was walking through the exit. I asked why I was being pulled over, what's happening? And was met with an "I don't have to explain anything to you, give me your passport." Then after they searched my bags and found nothing, I was told I would lose GE because I had an attitude. So here we are.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jasflysalot
My Global Entry was revoked. Does this mean I've also lost Pre-Check? If so, is it worth applying separately for pre-check?
I used pre-check way more often than GE, so that is the benefit I am concerned about losing.

Also I am a registered traveler in the UK, will this revocation impact my UK standing?

GE was revoked after I came thru DFW, went through immigration, spoke to a CBP officer there and then was pulled aside as I was walking through the exit. I asked why I was being pulled over, what's happening? And was met with an "I don't have to explain anything to you, give me your passport." Then after they searched my bags and found nothing, I was told I would lose GE because I had an attitude. So here we are.
Sorry to hear of your situation. Can you provide the community with more information about what behaviors you exhibited that caused the agent to believe that you had an "attitude?" That would be very helpful to the community. Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Sorry to hear of your situation. Can you provide the community with more information about what behaviors you exhibited that caused the agent to believe that you had an "attitude?" That would be very helpful to the community. Thanks!
I continually insisted that I wanted to understand what was happening. Essentially I questioned the agent. I did not yell or curse, but I questioned them and was visibly annoyed.

I went thru immigration at DFW after coming in from LHR. I spoke with a CBP agent there, showed passport + GE slip. Collected my bag and was walking thru the zip-zag line they have set up to exit. There was another CBP agent walking in between the stanchions, he stopped me and said "show me your passport." I asked what was happening. He replied, he didn't have to explain anything to me, pull out my passport. I kept insisting that I wanted to understand what was happening and he replied with various threats ($10k fine, arrest). He took my passport and put it in his back pocket and asked me if I was coming from Mexico. Scanned all my bags, dumped all the contents out, telling me he was going to find something. When he didn't find anything he told me my Global Entry was revoked.

I'm not invested in the appeal process. I want to know if I can apply for precheck separately and if my UK registered traveler or mobile passport will be impacted.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:32 pm
Suspended

I continually insisted that I wanted to understand what was happening. Essentially I questioned the agent. I did not yell or curse, but I questioned them and was visibly annoyed.

I went thru immigration at DFW after coming in from LHR. I spoke with a CBP agent there, showed passport + GE slip. Collected my bag and was walking thru the zip-zag line they have set up to exit. There was another CBP agent walking in between the stanchions, he stopped me and said "show me your passport." I asked what was happening. He replied, he didn't have to explain anything to me, pull out my passport. I kept insisting that I wanted to understand what was happening and he replied with various threats ($10k fine, arrest).
Wow
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I'm not invested in the appeal process. I want to know if I can apply for precheck separately
you can

I want to know if mobile passport will be impacted.
That shouldn't be affected.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:39 pm

I went thru immigration at DFW after coming in from LHR. I spoke with a CBP agent there, showed passport + GE slip. Collected my bag and was walking thru the zip-zag line they have set up to exit. There was another CBP agent walking in between the stanchions, he stopped me and said "show me your passport." I asked what was happening. He replied, he didn't have to explain anything to me, pull out my passport. I kept insisting that I wanted to understand what was happening and he replied with various threats ($10k fine, arrest). He took my passport and put it in his back pocket and asked me if I was coming from Mexico. Scanned all my bags, dumped all the contents out, telling me he was going to find something. When he didn't find anything he told me my Global Entry was revoked.

I'm not invested in the appeal process. I want to know if I can apply for precheck separately and if my UK registered traveler or mobile passport will be impacted.
Wow. So the first indication of any problem was after you picked up your luggage? No problems with contraband or unreported items? Very troubling!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:57 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At JFK T8 (AA), they have a very different system than DFW (so it seems): after interacting with the GE terminal, you hand your GE slip to an agent before entering the CUSTOMS area, so you are now on equal footing with all other pax; you collect your luggage (if you have any) and proceed to the exit, possibly passing a CBP agent.
I think you should contact the ombudsman to appeal the revocation of your GE.
Have you checked your status on GOES, was your GE really cancelled or was this just a CBP agent on a power trip?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Sorry to hear about your incident. I'm willing to bet this is what caused the agent to get upset (my bolding)-

The CBP agents are in control in their turf. According to your statement, you clearly confronted the agent by insisting on explanations. Guess who is going to wind under those circumstances. Persuasion, not insistence to obtain explanations, is the key to a favorable outcome under these circumstances. How do you know your GE privilege was revoked? Did you get any correspondence to that effect? Hope that was just a scare and a lesson for next time.

-J
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Wow. So the first indication of any problem was after you picked up your luggage? No problems with contraband or unreported items? Very troubling!
Yes it was when I was at the exit door and I was very confused. A lot of the standard signage that is visible for declare vs nothing to declare, was not visible at DFW and half the lights were out. You have to physically walk into the declared scanner room and around a divider before you see any signs. So I was partly asking because I've been randomly selected before and the response is "It's random selection we need you to go to this section"

Originally Posted by nrr
after interacting with the GE terminal, you hand your GE slip to an agent before entering the CUSTOMS area, so you are now on equal footing with all other pax
This is why I was asking what's happening, I asked didn't I just come thru Customs. And I was meet with "I don't owe you any explanation"

Originally Posted by nrr
I think you should contact the ombudsman to appeal the revocation of your GE.
I might, but do I just apologize or do I attempt to explain myself? GE has been down or I've been scanned the last four trips I took. It's been closed twice at DFW and now this incident.

Originally Posted by nrr
Have you checked your status on GOES, was your GE really cancelled or was this just a CBP agent on a power trip?
Yes this happened two weeks ago, I received the official revocation yesterday, I can see it when I login.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 19, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Presumably the CBP agent can't just check a box = pax X's GE has been cancelled??? The CBP agent must document a pax's faux pas.
A few routes to take with ombudsman:
(1)CBP agent was very rude when I interacted with him
(2))Playing "dumb", I received a notice of my GE rejection--why?
(3)Going in the other direction: "I may have questioned CBP too forcefully...I am sorry if I did."
Others reading this thread can make additional comments.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27
According to your statement, you clearly confronted the agent by insisting on explanations. Guess who is going to wind under those circumstances. Persuasion, not insistence to obtain explanations, is the key to a favorable outcome under these circumstances.
Perhaps they should change the name of the program to "Amiable Traveler Program?"

Seriously, though, while one would not condone giving a hard to time CPB agents, or any official, revocation should be reserved for significant violations of the program.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
Presumably the CBP agent can't just check a box = pax X's GE has been cancelled??? The CBP agent must document a pax's faux pas.
A few routes to take with ombudsman:
(1)CBP agent was very rude when I interacted with him
(2))Playing "dumb", I received a notice of my GE rejection--why?
(3)Going in the other direction: "I may have questioned CBP too forcefully...I am sorry if I did."
Others reading this thread can make additional comments.

1- NEVER do that. That's a subjective statement. No one is going to take you seriously. That's whining.
2- best approach and JUST the facts. short and straight to the point. I bet the OP did not pay attention to one important detail from the whole interaction.... the name of the agent It matters a lot when writing as it shows seriousness on the intentions and knowledge on the writers part.
3- NEVER do that either. That's also a subjective statement. No need for apologies.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:12 pm

Yes it was when I was at the exit door and I was very confused. A lot of the standard signage that is visible for declare vs nothing to declare, was not visible at DFW and half the lights were out. You have to physically walk into the declared scanner room and around a divider before you see any signs. So I was partly asking because I've been randomly selected before and the response is "It's random selection we need you to go to this section"
your line from the agent - "It's random selection we need you to go to this section"
a potential reply to get out of there asap and without adverse consequence could have been.... "Sure officer (NAME!!!). I'm not familiar with this procedure, could you please assist me (guide me) on the next steps? Thank you (smile.)" The bottom line is to create a connection and show willingness to cooperate. Go with the flow and make the situation work on your favor.
JonNYC and TWA884 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27
your line from the agent - "It's random selection we need you to go to this section"
NO, I’m saying that’s what I was EXPECTING the response to be. Something along that line, not “I don’t have to tell you anything,” which is the response I got.

DFW Custom Terminal is under renovations, so it’s not clear where you are when exiting. They funnel everyone to the middle of the terminal to exit. There’s no signs and that evening more of the terminal was dark. As a woman traveling by myself it’s not wrong to ask what’s happening, especially bc there’s very little I can do after if anything goes wrong.

*edit: why are you assuming I don’t know the officers name? I do, I took note of the time and my surroundings as soon as I walked out of the scan room. This is a public forum, what good does it do me to post the officers name here if I have any intent of appealing?

Last edited by jasflysalot; Jun 19, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:36 am

NO, I’m saying that’s what I was EXPECTING the response to be. Something along that line, not “I don’t have to tell you anything,” which is the response I got.

DFW Custom Terminal is under renovations, so it’s not clear where you are when exiting. They funnel everyone to the middle of the terminal to exit. There’s no signs and that evening more of the terminal was dark. As a woman traveling by myself it’s not wrong to ask what’s happening, especially bc there’s very little I can do after if anything goes wrong.

*edit: why are you assuming I don’t know the officers name? I do, I took note of the time and my surroundings as soon as I walked out of the scan room. This is a public forum, what good does it do me to post the officers name here if I have any intent of appealing?
It's expected to ask for directions and assistance in situations like that. I'm sorry; you took unnecessary risks by insisting on explanations after you got your unexpected answer. I know the outcome is upsetting. I would be too.

My assumption on the officer's name was on the fact that you posted lots of unnecessary details except the fact that you got the officer's name for future reference. I put my statements in quotes to show what could be potential statements in that situation - "Sure officer (NAME!!!)...." translates to "Sure officer (you acknowledging the officer by name)" I never said or implied to post the name of the officer online.
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.