Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dnLwire
I went to my GE interview and was approved. A few months later I applied for Nexus and was conditional approved and went to the Nexus interview. A day later Nexus was denied GE was revoked.

All the information on both apps were a mirror to each other, but I did have a few arrest that I fully disclosed on both applications. Arrests were brought up at my GE interview by CBP officer and I had court documents showing the out comes on all arrest that showed up on my record. At my nexus interview my arrest were not brought up, but I'm assuming they didn't bring them up due to me doing a group interview with my family.
Any chance that the Canadians denied you for NEXUS while the U.S. was fine with you having NEXUS and/or GE status prior to the NEXUS denial?

There have been instances where Canada pulled NEXUS status and GE status was revoked as a result of Canada revoking NEXUS membership and whatever it was that Canada relied upon when revoking such membership.

There is a possibility that your lack of bringing up your own arrest history at the interview may have bit you, even if the issue was only/primarily on the U.S. side, but that would be sort of unusual if this was brought up and resolved earlier.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dnLwire
I went to my GE interview and was approved. A few months later I applied for Nexus and was conditional approved and went to the Nexus interview. A day later Nexus was denied GE was revoked.

All the information on both apps were a mirror to each other, but I did have a few arrest that I fully disclosed on both applications. Arrests were brought up at my GE interview by CBP officer and I had court documents showing the out comes on all arrest that showed up on my record. At my nexus interview my arrest were not brought up, but I'm assuming they didn't bring them up due to me doing a group interview with my family.
That's an interesting scenario-- glad you reported it. Good to know that there's a degree of "risk" (even if it's very, very, very minute) in a GE member applying for Nexus. Might stop me personally from doing so considering how long it took and how complicated it was getting GE in my case. Again, can't be stressed enough-- I'm sure all (or most) would agree-- for average GE members the "risk" is probably somewhere between none and infinitesimal, but, for my Uber-cautious (in this exact context) self, I'll ponder this thread before applying for Nexus.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It would have been nice if you had included the handcuffing piece in your OP
Sorry Frustrated Traveller but even a fish wouldn't get caught if.......and in MIA of all places! CBP isn't messing around there.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't know that anybody has tried this, but for the cost of a stamp, try sending a personal letter to the CBP District Director for Miami. Get his name, get is title and address correct and send a formal, e.g. nice stationery, proofread letter in which you:

1. Apologize
2. Stress that if you were perceived as belligerent, you did not mean it
3. That you understand the important work Officers do and how little they need the extra hassle.
4. Ask if he will intercede to assist with GE restoration
5. Apologize

If you can't bring yourself to do this, don't. Only you know what GE is worth to you. And nobody can tell you whether this will work. DD's have significant authority in the CBP world and it's my guess that few people make personal approaches to them.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 8, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any chance that the Canadians denied you for NEXUS while the U.S. was fine with you having NEXUS and/or GE status prior to the NEXUS denial?

There have been instances where Canada pulled NEXUS status and GE status was revoked as a result of Canada revoking NEXUS membership and whatever it was that Canada relied upon when revoking such membership.

There is a possibility that your lack of bringing up your own arrest history at the interview may have bit you, even if the issue was only/primarily on the U.S. side, but that would be sort of unusual if this was brought up and resolved earlier.
I'm not sure which side of both sides denied my Nexus, but any doubts that I had about not bringing up my arrest were put to sleep once I reapplied for Nexus. My sister, nieces, nephew, and daughter applied for Nexus and had there interviews in April. So I decided to reapply and went to my interview in late March a few days apart from their interviews. This interview was the most interesting out of the 4 interviews that I had. Interviewed with US CBP 1st. Everything was fine till my arrest came up and the lady officer realized that I was born and realized in Los Angeles, CA. 1st thing that came out of her mouth was " Are you in a gang?" My reply was No. She kept pressing the issue through out the interview. She told me it was ok to tell her Yes... I wanted to laugh in her face. Then she started with I'm from California too, I know how the culture is out there. Lady was Mexican. I'm Latino so I'm guessing she was trying to connect with me im some type of weird way. After the interview was over with the U.S. side I went to the Canadian side. Just asked me about my arrest provided them with my court paper work asked a few questions and I was on my way. A few weeks later I was denied again. At this point I'm just going to let it be and wait for the outcome of my appeal. I'm ok with just having TSA Pre Check.

I knew i forgot something. She also asked me numerous times if I had any Tattoos. Good thing I'm a U.S Born Citizen. If I would of been applying for U.S Citizenship I'm sure she would of denied my application.

Approved for GE

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new Global Entry card.

Denial Nexus letter

Thank you for your application to the NEXUS program of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

NEXUS is a voluntary program available to travelers that pass a comprehensive background investigation. Applicants found to be ineligible for NEXUS participation may still be permitted to enter into the United States although they will not be permitted to use the NEXUS dedicated lanes.

We regret to inform you that your membership in NEXUS has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

You have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offense
You do not meet program eligibility requirements.

GE revoked

Thank you for your participation in the Global Entry program of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Global Entry is a voluntary program available to travelers that pass a comprehensive background investigation. Applicants found to be ineligible for Global Entry participation may still be permitted to enter into the United States although they will not be permitted to use the Global Entry dedicated lanes.

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been revoked for the following reason:

You do not meet program eligibility requirements.

Nexus reapplication

Thank you for your application to the NEXUS program of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

NEXUS is a voluntary program available to travelers that pass a comprehensive background investigation. Applicants found to be ineligible for NEXUS participation may still be permitted to enter into the United States although they will not be permitted to use the NEXUS dedicated lanes.

We regret to inform you that your membership in NEXUS has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

Other
You are not a low risk applicant.

GE reapplication

Thank you for your application to the Global Entry program of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Global Entry is a voluntary program available to travelers that pass a comprehensive background investigation. Applicants found to be ineligible for Global Entry participation may still be permitted to enter into the United States although they will not be permitted to use the Global Entry dedicated lanes.

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

Other
You currently have a reconsideration request pending for your Global Entry. This request was received on December XX, 2014 and is still pending. Please wait for a response to your reconsideration request.

Just in case you are wonder why I spent so much money on applying for GE and Nexus. I used my $300 annual travel credit that my Ritz-Carlton card.

Last edited by dnLwire; Jun 8, 2015 at 9:29 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I don't know that anybody has tried this, but for the cost of a stamp, try sending a personal letter to the CBP District Director for Miami. Get his name, get is title and address correct and send a formal, e.g. nice stationery, proofread letter in which you:

1. Apologize
2. Stress that if you were perceived as belligerent, you did not mean it
3. That you understand the important work Officers do and how little they need the extra hassle.
4. Ask if he will intercede to assist with GE restoration
5. Apologize

If you can't bring yourself to do this, don't. Only you know what GE is worth to you. And nobody can tell you whether this will work. DD's have significant authority in the CBP world and it's my guess that few people make personal approaches to them.
Some of the best advise in the thread.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:41 am
Suspended

The tattoo question seems to have been an indication that the CBP agent was thinking there was undisclosed gang affiliation even after making the assertion of not being part of a gang.

The ombudsman angle may indeed be less useful -- and often slower -- than the area/district/port director approach, but I would be surprised if the Miami director would offer much more than another GE interview chance with no guarantee of approval and/or maintenance of status if reinstated/approved. These directors have their own career interests to protect.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Whatever the OP did to warrant being cuffed, it seems like a pretty sure-fire way to get kicked out of a "trusted traveler" program. Part of what you sign up for is playing nice with the authorities, they get to choose who gets the special treatment and who doesn't, and if you piss them off, no GE for you.

And being polite and deferent to CBP officers is just a good idea, even if you're not in a TTP. They have all sorts of power to make your life miserable w/o the same sort of due process LEOs are subject to.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If you can't get relief from the Ombudsman, I'd sue.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:34 am

@absolutboy20 "I'll let you know the final outcome on this. Just thought it was a very unusual circumstance/call to receive after the fact."

did you ever resolve this issue? The exact same thing happen to me. My wife and I filled out application, went for interviews she was approved. They asked me if i had been arrested and I had for possession of marijuana as a teenager. I honestly told the officer i had and explain that was nearly 20 years ago. He said ok approved my membership, I got my card activated it and then about 2 weeks later a email saying if was revoked for the arrest in my teens that was "continued without a finding and dismissed"
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by ddchef
@absolutboy20 "I'll let you know the final outcome on this. Just thought it was a very unusual circumstance/call to receive after the fact."

did you ever resolve this issue? The exact same thing happen to me. My wife and I filled out application, went for interviews she was approved. They asked me if i had been arrested and I had for possession of marijuana as a teenager. I honestly told the officer i had and explain that was nearly 20 years ago. He said ok approved my membership, I got my card activated it and then about 2 weeks later a email saying if was revoked for the arrest in my teens that was "continued without a finding and dismissed"
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

They revoked Global Entry for a juvenile charge that was ultimately dismissed?

Speechless.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Possibly worth an appeal.

I've read that sometimes charges are dismissed but not all the relevant records get updated appropriately. Depending on CBP's source of info, that might be the problem.

IIRC, situations like this have been discussed on this forum in the past, but good like trying to find previous experiences using the search function.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
They should physically confiscate your card if they're going to pull your NEXUS/GE/SENTRI. If the officer said you "could" lose your card you got a warning.

Buy a lottery ticket; most people would've pulled your card and possibly fined you $500. It must have been almost time to go home
GE members are not required to carry and show a card. They use their passport, and revocation of GE does not include (yet) revocation of one's passport.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Is an actual violation or crime necessary for revocation of GE? If I say, visit a country that has a not-so-great relationship with the US, could my GE be revoked under some sort of excuse, like my actions have resulted in me no longer being a trusted traveler? Or would I simply get SSSS for a while?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diburning
Is an actual violation or crime necessary for revocation of GE?
Revocation can hit even in the absence of an arrest for a crime.

If I say, visit a country that has a not-so-great relationship with the US, could my GE be revoked under some sort of excuse, like my actions have resulted in me no longer being a trusted traveler?
Possible, even as it very rarely takes place. But the proverbial devil may be in the details.

Or would I simply get SSSS for a while?
Far more likely than GE revocation, but the proverbial devil may be in the details there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.