Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jazzermom13
Does the offer from 1-800-flowers for 1,000 SW points count for the companion pass? Looking for inexpensive ways to meet the CP threshold.
Yes they do!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Hecta
Yes they do!
Sometimes. LOL!

I did a dozen employee baskets around 19 Dec. Site said it took 6-8 weeks or something likd that to process bonus points. NOPE. They all processed with a week and all hit in 2014. There were some better $$ discounts. Oh well. I at least have the points to use towards a future ticket.

It just means I have to spend more money in Jan/Feb to get to the Companion Pass break point. At least it did not hurt me either way.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Wow... points posted today from SW card #2, CP active today. Kudos SW!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: WN CP, IHG Platinum
Red face

Originally Posted by robbert
Just an unorthodox thought, at least around here, you could start flying WN or given them some business through their shopping portal.
I called up Chase SW customer care today to confirm the fine print:

“This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.”

They are telling the clock for 24 Months eligibility, starts ticking from the date you close your account and not from the date you get the 50,000 RR bonus.

But what ever discussions I have read hear, It seems its from BONUS Date rather than Account closure date.

Can someone share your experience??

Last edited by flysimply; Jan 19, 2015 at 8:12 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: WA,AA,BA,SPG,HH
I'm struggling to decide which is going to get me my best point bang:

Hyatt: 200k UR to Hyatt, 200k Hyatt to SW for 120k Rapid Reward points

Marriott: 254k UR to Marriott + existing 76k Marriott = 330k Marriott for 1 week Cat 7 + Companion Pass

I'm guessing it's a matter of what I want... however I want the best deal of the 2, but am unlikely to use an entire 7 nights at a Marriott... I'm a 4-5 night tripper. But it still seems like the better of the two deals. Thinking of using it for a tropical Marriott property. Whereas Hyatt seems like it's just 200 URs and done deal with nothing else gained.

Am I missing some math here or insight?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:58 pm

Our 2480 points of spend posted on our account after the statement closed. Hubby called to ask where the 50k rewards bonus was and the attendant said our jan 13 purchases didnt count this statement even though it closed on the 16th, and posted! She said it's going to be on the next statement. This makes no sense, the purchases done before the statement closed AND the spend has been awarded as points. Ever happen to anyone else? Can we keep calling until someone will award us our 50k points?!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 98Mike
I'm struggling to decide which is going to get me my best point bang:

Hyatt: 200k UR to Hyatt, 200k Hyatt to SW for 120k Rapid Reward points

Marriott: 254k UR to Marriott + existing 76k Marriott = 330k Marriott for 1 week Cat 7 + Companion Pass

I'm guessing it's a matter of what I want... however I want the best deal of the 2, but am unlikely to use an entire 7 nights at a Marriott... I'm a 4-5 night tripper. But it still seems like the better of the two deals. Thinking of using it for a tropical Marriott property. Whereas Hyatt seems like it's just 200 URs and done deal with nothing else gained.

Am I missing some math here or insight?
It is just a question of numbers. In the abstract, do you value a week in a Marriott cat 7 at 130k Marriott points or more? I probably wouldn't unless I could get a $250 a night hotel, or I had no money and a zillion Marriott points.

Though I value UR more than Marriott almost always (close to double), so this would be an opportunity to burn those 76k and keep more UR.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by nurseromero
Our 2480 points of spend posted on our account after the statement closed. Hubby called to ask where the 50k rewards bonus was and the attendant said our jan 13 purchases didnt count this statement even though it closed on the 16th, and posted! She said it's going to be on the next statement. This makes no sense, the purchases done before the statement closed AND the spend has been awarded as points. Ever happen to anyone else? Can we keep calling until someone will award us our 50k points?!
I understand you are frustrated; however, it is well known and often repeated here that if the purchases that put one over the minimum spending requirement are made too close to the date on which the statement cuts, then the bonus points may not appear until the following statement closes.

Also, read the terms and conditions of your offer - I bet Chase has 6-8 weeks to provide the bonus points.

Stop calling. Just wait for your next statement to close. Lesson learned - don't cut things so close.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Lesson learned - don't cut things so close.
A useful principle in many aspects of travel/points/miles and life in general.

Would eliminate a lot of posts on here.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You did not make it clear, but I am guessing the Jan 13 purchases wereNOT on the Jan 16th statement. If they are not there,then they are not there. It only counts when the "systems" process it. Be it the person, the computer, the process, whatever.

If you go online to look at your activity you will see when it did post. And it will then count in that statement period.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by flysimply
I called up Chase SW customer care today to confirm the fine print:

“This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.”

They are telling the clock for 24 Months eligibility, starts ticking from the date you close your account and not from the date you get the 50,000 RR bonus.

But what ever discussions I have read hear, It seems its from BONUS Date rather than Account closure date.

Can someone share your experience??
I don't know what they told you but a plain reading of the languags is the clock starts when you receive the bonus not when you cancel.

previous cardmembers ... who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months
That said we have enough reports of inconsistent results to question whether they actually follow their own rules and since the language has been there less than 24 months there can be no absolute certainty.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You did not make it clear, but I am guessing the Jan 13 purchases wereNOT on the Jan 16th statement. If they are not there,then they are not there. It only counts when the "systems" process it. Be it the person, the computer, the process, whatever.

If you go online to look at your activity you will see when it did post. And it will then count in that statement period.
I think you are incorrect - I've underlined language above - I believe the purchases did post on the statement.

Regardless, as I stated earlier:

Originally Posted by FindAWay
it is well known and often repeated here that if the purchases that put one over the minimum spending requirement are made too close to the date on which the statement cuts, then the bonus points may not appear until the following statement closes.

Also, read the terms and conditions of your offer - I bet Chase has 6-8 weeks to provide the bonus points.

Stop calling. Just wait for your next statement to close. Lesson learned - don't cut things so close.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

I just looked at the actual statement. My 3 charges totaling almost $2500 are on the statement. Jan 12 and 13.

They must just be lagging on posting the award
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
I've read in some previous post that paying off your card before the statement hits would cause bonus points to post. Didn't work for me.

I'd like to vent about my experience.

I had a flight to SJU, expecting to use CP on 25-January.

Got the SW Plus Biz & Personal in November 2014. The Biz had ended up with a 28-Dec Due date and a 3-January statement date. I put 6k spend on it in December. I got my CP qualifying points on 4-January-2015. CHA-CHING!

The personal card ended up with a 1-Jan due date and a 4-Jan statement date. I put 4k spend on it in December. I thought I was golden.... BUT I decided to change the due date on my card because I like to have due dates before the end of the month. I didn't think that it would affect my 4-Jan statement date. I THOUGHT WRONG!!

Because I changed my due date, it never created my 4-Jan statement. They said they can only create 1 statement/month, so I would have to wait until January 28th for the statement!!!! They won't give me my bonus points!!! I paid the balance a week ago, but no bonus points have been posted.

Wow, what a waste of money. Could have had the CP easily if I just left the freakin' statement alone.....

Last edited by Journey4Happy; Jan 20, 2015 at 3:49 pm Reason: Forgot to Note that I paid statement
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:52 pm

I just looked at the actual statement. My 3 charges totaling almost $2500 are on the statement. Jan 12 and 13.

They must just be lagging on posting the award
Same thing happened to me. Charges posted a few days before statement closing. I got the points for the purchases, but not the 50k bonus. Chase told me they will post with the next statement. Seems to be a common occurrence.

Not a big deal to me, as I won't have completed all my spend for the companion pass till next month. I contacted Chase to make sure my application was properly associated with the 50k bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.