Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Yes, at check-n counter. January.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by DebitNM
Yes, at check-n counter. January.
Thanks for confirming. IIRC, the rare occasions when folks have reported being asked for the physical CP card have all involved visiting the check-in counter.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by DebitNM
I was asked for the actual CP card in at FLL last year. They said they check because of abuse of CP there. YMMV
Probably an agent who is new or over zealous and doesn't understand how the companion pass work. You can't make a reservation for a companion unless you have a ticketed reservation and you can't just cancel the paid ticket without the companion reservation being cancelled too. How do you abuse the system? He/she can verify both person show up but that doesn't need a CP card to do it. I have flown FLL many times with companion pass and never once was asked the card, checked bags or not.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Had CP for about a year and a half, probably flew 30-35 segments with my companion, never once asked for the card.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Story out of Dallas yesterday about someone trying to get their companion pass before 2014 was over. Basically, he messed up his interpretation of credit card closing dates and missed out on his CP. Now he's suing Southwest. To me it just seems like he messed up and is bitter, hate to see it become a lawsuit just because he didn't read the fine print.

Story link:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...idnt-get.html/
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Story out of Dallas yesterday about someone trying to get their companion pass before 2014 was over. Basically, he messed up his interpretation of credit card closing dates and missed out on his CP. Now he's suing Southwest. To me it just seems like he messed up and is bitter, hate to see it become a lawsuit just because he didn't read the fine print.

Story link:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...idnt-get.html/
Currently being discussed in a separate thread: Guy sues WN after his post-statement Dec. '14 WN CC spend doesn't put him over for CP
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:54 pm

Venting .... to only those who would understand.
Finished my spend on both SW biz & personnel card. Personnel hit 1st, about 52K points.
The last week of my biz card cycle I decided to purchase gift cards to push forward the spend and earn the CP ... for whatever reason the last charge held "pending" for a few days and didn't post until after the cycle closing date.
In a rush to get the CP I then proceeded to xfer UR points to Hyatt to SW...worked like a charm, less then 4 business days. Goal achieved CP pass is mine!!!
Looking at the SW flight schedule now hoping to get weekend flight somewhere warm....ummm...everything is tons of points, most of the WGA options are gone, and value -wise is way above what I want to spend for a weekend, to add insult 2 of my next 3 weekends are filled where I cant leave.
The kick in the ... is I could have waited until the next billing cycle closed and had the CP without spending any UR points .... patience my friend patience
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mmdough
Probably an agent who is new or over zealous and doesn't understand how the companion pass work. You can't make a reservation for a companion unless you have a ticketed reservation and you can't just cancel the paid ticket without the companion reservation being cancelled too. How do you abuse the system? He/she can verify both person show up but that doesn't need a CP card to do it. I have flown FLL many times with companion pass and never once was asked the card, checked bags or not.
What good is checking the card? If they compare the names and the ID, that's better than a card with no picture.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:27 pm

Anyone has recent experience with RR Dining? Did it count towards CP and did the points post reasonably fast? I have a flight coming up in March and I am 550 points shy for CP(courtesy of one $600 charge stays pending on my RR Visa so those points didn't post on my statement yesterday). Currently RR Dining has a first time dine bonus of 500 points which will put me over for CP if they count.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:08 am
sfp

Anyone has recent experience with RR Dining? Did it count towards CP and did the points post reasonably fast? I have a flight coming up in March and I am 550 points shy for CP(courtesy of one $600 charge stays pending on my RR Visa so those points didn't post on my statement yesterday). Currently RR Dining has a first time dine bonus of 500 points which will put me over for CP if they count.
RR Dining Points for me have posted in about a week, but the first time bonus (at least the one over the holidays) did not count as CPQP.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:12 am

I haven't earned my CP yet, but will soon and have a couple of questions.

1. When checking in at 24 hours, can you check in your whole party including your companion at the same time? Or does the companion have to check in separately which would more then likely lead to a boarding position not immediately next to the rest of the party.

2. Can the companion get EBCI?

3. If I earn the CP before my next scheduled (and paid) flight at the end of March, I assume there is no reason to cancel my companion's flight, getting a credit, and then adding them as a companion?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by browerjs
I haven't earned my CP yet, but will soon and have a couple of questions.

1. When checking in at 24 hours, can you check in your whole party including your companion at the same time? Or does the companion have to check in separately which would more then likely lead to a boarding position not immediately next to the rest of the party.

2. Can the companion get EBCI?

3. If I earn the CP before my next scheduled (and paid) flight at the end of March, I assume there is no reason to cancel my companion's flight, getting a credit, and then adding them as a companion?
The ticket for your companion will have a different confirmation code, so you have to check in separately.
Not sure on what your mean about cancelling companion's flight. The companion reservation has to be made by clicking 'adding a companion' when you view your reservation, assuming you have the CP. Any reservation that was paid for the companion has to be cancelled properly for refund or credit.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by sfp
RR Dining Points for me have posted in about a week, but the first time bonus (at least the one over the holidays) did not count as CPQP.
Bummer. That's my guess too that bonus does not count towards CPQP.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:05 am

The ticket for your companion will have a different confirmation code, so you have to check in separately.
Not sure on what your mean about cancelling companion's flight. The companion reservation has to be made by clicking 'adding a companion' when you view your reservation, assuming you have the CP. Any reservation that was paid for the companion has to be cancelled properly for refund or credit.
I already have a flight book where I paid for my wife. I will most likely earn and then designate her as my companion before this flight. So I'm wondering if it would make any sense to cancel her current (paid) reservation once I earn the CP, and then add her to the flight that way.

I'm guessing not, because she would have to use the credit within a year, and she'd still be my companion at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.