Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by browerjs
I already have a flight book where I paid for my wife. I will most likely earn and then designate her as my companion before this flight. So I'm wondering if it would make any sense to cancel her current (paid) reservation once I earn the CP, and then add her to the flight that way.

I'm guessing not, because she would have to use the credit within a year, and she'd still be my companion at that time.
When you get your CP, you should go ahead and cancel her paid flight, and make a new reservation for her as your companion. It's too bad that you actually paid for the flight already, but the best you can do is to hold on to the credit first, then decide what to do with it later. Maybe your wife can just fly somewhere to visit family/friends and have some fun.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mmdough
When you get your CP, you should go ahead and cancel her paid flight, and make a new reservation for her as your companion. It's too bad that you actually paid for the flight already, but the best you can do is to hold on to the credit first, then decide what to do with it later. Maybe your wife can just fly somewhere to visit family/friends and have some fun.
I'd just be out the EBCI fee's that I paid, right?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mmdough
I would definitely cancel the flight and use those funds toward the fees for other flights. $11.20 per round trip domestically and can add up to much more for flights to Mexico/Caribbean. Might as well try and use that money instead of wasting it on a CP reservation for no reason.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:15 pm

Change Payment Due Date

Approved yesterday (02/09) for the Plus Card and my payment due date is 4/19. I'd like to have the payment due earlier in order to add a companion onto my March/April flights. Anyone had any luck with this?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by alxhelix
Approved yesterday (02/09) for the Plus Card and my payment due date is 4/19. I'd like to have the payment due earlier in order to add a companion onto my March/April flights. Anyone had any luck with this?
Well your statement date is probably 3/22 and then if you hit the 3k spending you'd get the point on 3/24 at that rate.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:28 pm

I already have a flight book where I paid for my wife. I will most likely earn and then designate her as my companion before this flight. So I'm wondering if it would make any sense to cancel her current (paid) reservation once I earn the CP, and then add her to the flight that way.

I'm guessing not, because she would have to use the credit within a year, and she'd still be my companion at that time.
Cancel the paid flight and use the credit to pay for award fees and EBCI. I'm not sure what you paid for the flight but the Award fees and EBCI for 2 tickets is close to $73
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:07 pm

Hi-New to the SWA mileage game. Cards applied for and I have read through most of these posts. One question I can't verify...We have WGA tix purchased. If we get CP in time, can I get a refund of my ticket and fly as a companion if there are no WGA seats left? Or does canceling my WGA seat open that CP seat? I did read I should do this by calling not by myself so they could attach to the seat before someone else grabbed it. It will be the very last possible minute that we qualify. How far in advance does this need to happen? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by kristinsh
Hi-New to the SWA mileage game. Cards applied for and I have read through most of these posts. One question I can't verify...We have WGA tix purchased. If we get CP in time, can I get a refund of my ticket and fly as a companion if there are no WGA seats left? Or does canceling my WGA seat open that CP seat? I did read I should do this by calling not by myself so they could attach to the seat before someone else grabbed it. It will be the very last possible minute that we qualify. How far in advance does this need to happen? Thanks!
You can add a companion along as any seat is available.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by kristinsh
As long as there is 1 seat left on the plane, you can add a companion. It doesn't have to be a WGA seat. You will not be able to get a 'refund' for the ticket you cancel but a 'credit' that you can use within the next year for SW purchase.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Cancel the paid flight and use the credit to pay for award fees and EBCI. I'm not sure what you paid for the flight but the Award fees and EBCI for 2 tickets is close to $73
Don't you have to use credit for the cancelled flights for the flyer of the flight cancelled?

I paid 468 RT per ticket (WGA) + 12.50 EBCI for each way.

It's a direct flight from DAY->MCO over spring break, so the rates are jacked up.

Also would I be able to add my companion before doing the cancellation, that way I'm guaranteed that I don't lose the seat. This flight appears to be popular, based on the WGA's not being available.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Don't you have to use credit for the cancelled flights for the flyer of the flight cancelled?

Also would I be able to add my companion before doing the cancellation, that way I'm guaranteed that I don't lose the seat.
1. Yes.

2. Call and have WN switch
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
1. Yes.

2. Call and have WN switch
By calling and having the switch made by a rep, you should be able to keep the EBCI as well.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:23 am

Got both the personal cards in late Jan, I've completed my minimum spend on both, and am about 1000 points short of hitting the 10k spend/rewards shopping points to get the CP on my statement close at the end of Feb.

It's well documented that if you hit your minimum spend right before your statement close that you won't get the 50k bonus. I should be fine with this as I hit the 2k on each card at least 10 days before statement close. But will points that you earn right before the closing date get applied as long as it's before the close?

Also if I just barely make it over the 110,000, and then return something that would lose me points from Rapid Reward Shopping, what will happen? Will I lose the CP until I go over the 110k again? I'm going to be very close at my statement end, just trying to figure out what to expect.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:45 am

Got both the personal cards in late Jan, I've completed my minimum spend on both, and am about 1000 points short of hitting the 10k spend/rewards shopping points to get the CP on my statement close at the end of Feb.

It's well documented that if you hit your minimum spend right before your statement close that you won't get the 50k bonus. I should be fine with this as I hit the 2k on each card at least 10 days before statement close. But will points that you earn right before the closing date get applied as long as it's before the close?

Also if I just barely make it over the 110,000, and then return something that would lose me points from Rapid Reward Shopping, what will happen? Will I lose the CP until I go over the 110k again? I'm going to be very close at my statement end, just trying to figure out what to expect.
My experience is that charges that post prior to the statement close date, will be awarded points. If it is still a pending charge, I think you'll be out of luck.

Last edited by Brewer20; Feb 17, 2015 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:39 am

You mentioned your statement will close at the end of Feb. If you find something to spend the next few days then you should be able to get to the 1000 extra points in time. If you cut it too close , then the charges might still be pending and you might not make it to the 110000 required for the CP this statement cycle. As for returning stuff from the RR shopping portal, maybe you can delay returning the item until the CP is in your hands or better yet, spend the extra amount on your RR credit card now to cover the loss in points when you return the item(s) to be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.