Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 16, 14, 9:38 am   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 282
Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

I think it's time to open up this thread. I apologize if it is already open somewhere that I'm not seeing. I have a question to kick this off..

I've booked my ticket for President's Day weekend but won't have my CP until mid-January. I'm afraid my flights will sell out before I can add my companion. I asked a CSR at SW if I bought a refundable ticket, if I could convert it to my companion in the event I had a companion pass. She said they can't convert and if we canceled the ticket there would be no way to guarantee the seat would be released back to inventory so that I could pick it up with my CP.

Does anyone have any experience pulling this off? What strategy should I follow? I am quite sure these flights will be booked by mid-January as they surround a holiday weekend.
finloopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 14, 10:13 am   #2
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
  
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 18,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by finloopio View Post
I think it's time to open up this thread. I apologize if it is already open somewhere that I'm not seeing. I have a question to kick this off..

I've booked my ticket for President's Day weekend but won't have my CP until mid-January. I'm afraid my flights will sell out before I can add my companion.
Book with points as a placeholder.
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 14, 10:15 am   #3
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Book with points as a placeholder.
Does it make a difference if I book with points or book with $$? And can I consolidate the reservation or do I want to avoid that?
finloopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 14, 10:33 am   #4
  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by finloopio View Post
Does it make a difference if I book with points or book with $$? And can I consolidate the reservation or do I want to avoid that?
If you book with points you get the points back. If you buy a WGA fare the funds get locked to the passenger. You could buy an AT ticket you can get a refund.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 14, 4:42 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by finloopio View Post
I think it's time to open up this thread. I apologize if it is already open somewhere that I'm not seeing. I have a question to kick this off..

I've booked my ticket for President's Day weekend but won't have my CP until mid-January. I'm afraid my flights will sell out before I can add my companion.
I'm new to SW but what are the chances of a flight in mid February selling out a month in advance ?

If you book your flight with points you could just change to a different flight as I REALLY doubt every flight that day will be sold out a month in advance.

Even if it's a cold weather state to Florida mid Feb is a before prime spring break season.

If you post the route maybe someone here will be familiar and have some more info for you.

GL
flyer4512 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 1:13 pm   #6
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
I'm new to SW but what are the chances of a flight in mid February selling out a month in advance ?

If you book your flight with points you could just change to a different flight as I REALLY doubt every flight that day will be sold out a month in advance.

Even if it's a cold weather state to Florida mid Feb is a before prime spring break season.

If you post the route maybe someone here will be familiar and have some more info for you.

GL
It's a limited route from BOI-DEN (not concerned) then from DEN-CUN on Thursday before President's Day returning Tuesday after President's Day. Wanna Get Away fares are already sold out for Thursday. DEN-CUN is scaring me before a three day weekend. Several days in December are already sold out and its mid Oct. I know that Christmas is a different animal though.
finloopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 3:46 pm   #7
  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by finloopio View Post
It's a limited route from BOI-DEN (not concerned) then from DEN-CUN on Thursday before President's Day returning Tuesday after President's Day. Wanna Get Away fares are already sold out for Thursday. DEN-CUN is scaring me before a three day weekend. Several days in December are already sold out and its mid Oct. I know that Christmas is a different animal though.

Wow, that is one high priced flight ! 100K plus points ?

If you move your trip up a week (2/5 - 2/10) it's under 40K which still seems expensive to me.

What is so special about that route ?
flyer4512 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 5:22 pm   #8
  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin
Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
Posts: 147
OP mentioned that he/she will earn CP in Jan, which is nearly impossible since the clock starts anew in Jan. Does OP plan on doing credit card(s) sign up on Jan 1?
Toan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 5:38 pm   #9
  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan View Post
OP mentioned that he/she will earn CP in Jan, which is nearly impossible since the clock starts anew in Jan. Does OP plan on doing credit card(s) sign up on Jan 1?
Far from impossible, set the card statements to close in early January.
flyer4512 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 5:45 pm   #10
  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin
Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
Posts: 147
I would hate to be in the position that I have to time a credit card posting for some additional points in late December for CP to go in effect. If they don't you have been saving those points for no status.

Correct, not impossible but very risky.
Toan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 5:54 pm   #11
  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan View Post
I would hate to be in the position that I have to time a credit card posting for some additional points in late December for CP to go in effect. If they don't you have been saving those points for no status.

Correct, not impossible but very risky.
I spent $4K after Dec 8 last year to get most of my CP.

Jan 10, 104k posted

If the 50K cards are available as weel as CP for 110K I will do the same thing in December 2015.

After your first statement cuts you can pick the day you want your statement to close
flyer4512 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 14, 6:13 pm   #12
  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TUS/PDX
Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Posts: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by finloopio View Post
It's a limited route from BOI-DEN (not concerned) then from DEN-CUN on Thursday before President's Day returning Tuesday after President's Day. Wanna Get Away fares are already sold out for Thursday. DEN-CUN is scaring me before a three day weekend. Several days in December are already sold out and its mid Oct. I know that Christmas is a different animal though.
I wouldn't be too concerned. If it's sold out when you get your CP, just check back. Chances are space will open up sometime before the flight departs.
tusphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 14, 1:08 am   #13
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Far from impossible, set the card statements to close in early January.
This. I have both a new personal and business premiere in hand with closing dates set for the 5th of each month. Both bonuses are 50k. Unless someone has heard of Chase issuing the bonus in the middle of a billing cycle, I think I'm safe. I'm not actually spending a dime on either card until my December statement closes. Then I'll go gangbusters on both

As for the price of the tix, I got them for 26,000 round trip and was very proud to do so surrounding a 3 day weekend. I think WN is going to quickly learn that Cancun is a hot spot and stop offering 13,000 RR fares from the northwest. Those tickets were bought up in a hurry. Now to just add that future companion!
finloopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 14, 5:25 pm   #14
  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by finloopio View Post
I asked a CSR at SW if I bought a refundable ticket, if I could convert it to my companion in the event I had a companion pass. She said they can't convert and if we canceled the ticket there would be no way to guarantee the seat would be released back to inventory so that I could pick it up with my CP.
This has probably been discussed before, but I don't mind posting for any great unwashed noobies (me, not too long ago...).

To address this portion, as I am anticipating something similar - MIL flying with me in March, then the Mr. in May, and I don't want him to be locked out after I designate him my companion.

I spoke with SW yesterday and the rep assured me there would be no problem - but I wanted a 'what if' scenario addressed. She recommended I use my points to book the companion flight in May. After I finish my flight with MIL in March, call SW, and on the phone they will change my companion and convert the flight to CP, returning my points to my bucket, in one phone call.

Does that sound right?
SWcrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 14, 5:27 pm   #15
  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MCI
Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass, Hertz Gold+ 5-Star, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWcrester View Post
This has probably been discussed before, but I don't mind posting for any great unwashed noobies (me, not too long ago...).

To address this portion, as I am anticipating something similar - MIL flying with me in March, then the Mr. in May, and I don't want him to be locked out after I designate him my companion.

I spoke with SW yesterday and the rep assured me there would be no problem - but I wanted a 'what if' scenario addressed. She recommended I use my points to book the companion flight in May. After I finish my flight with MIL in March, call SW, and on the phone they will change my companion and convert the flight to CP, returning my points to my bucket, in one phone call.

Does that sound right?
Yes. It not only sounds right, it actually IS right.
steved5480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top