Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Welcome to the best place to discuss your issue or complaint about QR.

Here on the QR Forum, we have seen and helped FTers with many different complaints, issues, and problems with Qatar Airways.

The official QR Contact line do not tend to show too much creativity in problem resolution, and can be a little slow.

The best options, are either through Twitter, or by email below.

So, before messaging QR directly ([email protected]), why not share your problem here, and see if we can assist?
Print Wikipost

Complaints / Rants / Problems with QR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Might I ask the reason why you were denied entry?

What was your routing and ticket class?

Was it an award ticket in J?

M
I can't recall the exact reason the different ladies said at each escalator. I'll post the routing ticket class once I get to my boarding pass stub, but I may need some guidance on where to find the information. It was not an award ticket, but a Qatar email upgrade offer that we accepted and paid for the upgrade.
Originally Posted by purple1addict
You can only use the premium lounges if your outbound class of travel from DOH is J or F (or if you are arriving into DOH on a long haul J or F flight (5+ hours) and connecting to Y).

If I understand correctly your wife travelled DOH-BLR sector in J and therefore had access as she was departing DOH in J. Unfortunately for you, you departed DOH in Y after arriving in short haul J, so you did not. You should have had lounge access in BLR at the beginning of your journey - although it doesn't exactly compare to the Al Mourjan!!

Seems a little unlucky in your case , but thems the rules...
Thank you very much for the clarification. Does the BLR-DOH leg not qualify as long-haul? It sure did seem long.

I was so zonked after being up almost 24hrs, just coming from my sister-in-laws wedding reception, and not eating for 12hrs that I didn't have the strength to go wandering around BLR to try to find the lounge. From the reviews I read on tripadvisor, I didn't miss much either. My wife got the best of business class this round it seems. But she needed it more than me. Just sucks that I didn't get all my money's worth.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SamirD
Thank you very much for the clarification. Does the BLR-DOH leg not qualify as long-haul? It sure did seem long.
Not quite! Published flight time DOH-BLR is 4 hours and 10 minutes.

Shame you missed out this time - hopefully next time you'll fare a little better with lounge access
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Typical delay compensation (if any)

I was booked in Y on the QR1011 connecting to the QR005 Thursday. Had a funeral to attend first thing Friday, so became concerned when I noticed the DXB-DOH leg was showing a delay. Sure enough, the connection was missed. having learnt that there were no more QR DOH-LHR sectors that would arrive in time for the next morning, I attempted to have QR staff rebook me from Dubai - which proved useless.

Doha did eventually rebook me on to the BA night flight arriving 6am, and I just about made the funeral. No hotel was provided, but I did at least have lounge access by virtue of Sapphire. Arrival into LHR was 8.5 hours late.

Having flown quite a few segments with QR there is no doubt service onboard far exceeds service on the ground. The staff in Dubai were ineffective and somewhat naive, insisting at 15:50 that a 16:05 departure was still on the cards when the inbound widebody still hadn't parked up on stand

What sort of a response should I expect from QR Customer Care? Presumably they'll chuck me a few thousand Qmiles?

I don't believe EU261 applies here and expect very little in the way of service recovery from QR - unless someone could advise of a particular channel. Many thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Involuntary downgrade due to equipment change

I had a similar issue with one of my BKK trips a few months ago - the aircraft was downgraded, so there was no F on the flight.

I called QR, and was advised I could either have a full-refund, the fare difference, or switch to a different F service. In the end, I switched to a later flight which had F.

The difference in fare prices from when you paid, to now, is irrelevant. You should be refunded 75% of your fare for the downgrade, but QR tend to be difficult about this - and usually ask you to deal with it at the airport on the day. Push harder however, and they will do it in advance (saving you the hassle).

My recommendation would be to call back QR, and if need be, call the office in Doha. The current available fares are irrelevant, and the advice you were given sounds plain wrong.

Try QR again, and do report back.

M
I was booked CDG-DOH-BKK outbound in F with the return in J. The first leg is not until September 30th. I learned from another QR forum that DOH-BKK was losing at least one of its daily A380 flights, and on checking discovered that my flight would now be on a 777 with no F class. I phoned the QR UK call centre, told them that my schedule did not allow for me to take the next flight from Doha to Bangkok which did have and what could they do? Eventually I was rebooked from Doha to Bangkok in J on an earlier flight (my original transit time was going to be about 8 hours, which I was looking forward to spending in the Al Safwa lounge, but as I would not flying onwards on a 380 that seemed a bit pointless).

When I enquired about compensation for the involuntary downgrade I was told to contact London Customer Services by email. I did this and got a quick but unhelpful reply - the salient part of which is 'As such changes are handled only by our European Contact Centre (0333 320 2454) you would have to contact them directly if you wish to discuss your booking further and for them to advise you of any fare difference that may be due.'

Since I made this booking when there was a big sale on in January I am sure that Qatar will tell me that there is no fare difference, and therefore I am due no compensation. But surely the point is that I have paid for a First class seat, which is no longer available on the flight I had booked, and therefore I am due some kind of restitution.

Can anyone let me know what are my rights in this situation and what I can do to achieve them.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
I was booked CDG-DOH-BKK outbound in F with the return in J. The first leg is not until September 30th. I learned from another QR forum that DOH-BKK was losing at least one of its daily A380 flights, and on checking discovered that my flight would now be on a 777 with no F class. I phoned the QR UK call centre, told them that my schedule did not allow for me to take the next flight from Doha to Bangkok which did have and what could they do? Eventually I was rebooked from Doha to Bangkok in J on an earlier flight (my original transit time was going to be about 8 hours, which I was looking forward to spending in the Al Safwa lounge, but as I would not flying onwards on a 380 that seemed a bit pointless).

When I enquired about compensation for the involuntary downgrade I was told to contact London Customer Services by email. I did this and got a quick but unhelpful reply - the salient part of which is 'As such changes are handled only by our European Contact Centre (0333 320 2454) you would have to contact them directly if you wish to discuss your booking further and for them to advise you of any fare difference that may be due.'

Since I made this booking when there was a big sale on in January I am sure that Qatar will tell me that there is no fare difference, and therefore I am due no compensation. But surely the point is that I have paid for a First class seat, which is no longer available on the flight I had booked, and therefore I am due some kind of restitution.

Can anyone let me know what are my rights in this situation and what I can do to achieve them.
Hi GGLwannabe,

Sorry to hear about your recent issues with your upcoming flights.

Unfortunately, the BKK route is being up-gauged, meaning more available seats overall, but fewer in F. This, as you are aware, is due to a number of aircraft roster changes. As a result, BKK has reduced from 24 F seats per day, to just 8; namely one A380 opposed to three.

In terms of your initial response from QR, they have provided you with the standard answer. In the event of a downgrade originating in Europe, you will be passed to the European Contact Centre. They are quite helpful, but ultimately usually advise that you will need to collect a refund (on the day of travel) from the QR Ticketing Desk at CDG (in this instance). Now, I had visions of approaching the desk on the day, and being stared at blankly - hence in my own case, I took an earlier flight opposed to dealing with the ticketing desk hassle.

In your case, and as you have already accepted a flight in J, you're options are slightly different.

My personal advice however, would be to contact the QR Contact Centre in Doha. Explain that you have called the London office, who told you to call the European Contact Centre...and then perhaps twist the truth slightly, and say that they told you to call Doha.

The team there are excellent (in my experience) and have far more power to get things done than their European Contact Centre counterparts.

Do update us of how you fare, and by all means PM me if I can be of help.

Best,

M
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Hi GGLwannabe,

Sorry to hear about your recent issues with your upcoming flights.

Unfortunately, the BKK route is being up-gauged, meaning more available seats overall, but fewer in F. This, as you are aware, is due to a number of aircraft roster changes. As a result, BKK has reduced from 24 F seats per day, to just 8; namely one A380 opposed to three.

In terms of your initial response from QR, they have provided you with the standard answer. In the event of a downgrade originating in Europe, you will be passed to the European Contact Centre. They are quite helpful, but ultimately usually advise that you will need to collect a refund (on the day of travel) from the QR Ticketing Desk at CDG (in this instance). Now, I had visions of approaching the desk on the day, and being stared at blankly - hence in my own case, I took an earlier flight opposed to dealing with the ticketing desk hassle.

In your case, and as you have already accepted a flight in J, you're options are slightly different.

My personal advice however, would be to contact the QR Contact Centre in Doha. Explain that you have called the London office, who told you to call the European Contact Centre...and then perhaps twist the truth slightly, and say that they told you to call Doha.

The team there are excellent (in my experience) and have far more power to get things done than their European Contact Centre counterparts.

Do update us of how you fare, and by all means PM me if I can be of help.

Best,

M
There is an argument for taking screen shots of the fares in the classes for the date you are traveling at the time of booking if you can be bothered. At least you might have something to base a claim on
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
This issue of paying discounted F and getting downgraded to J but then denied comp due to fare difference is insane! I have had a few downgrades of my own on various airlines (LH/NH/SQ/AC) and in every case they have compensated based on 30-50% of my ticket value when J to Y.

I'm sure if in each instance if the airlines were to calculate discounted J difference to full fare Y the price would have been very close to each other which is basically what QR is saying about discounted F vs. full fare J thus no compensation despite the actual donwgrade in service! This is actually illegal under many jurisdiction's consumer protection laws as you have paid for a service you did not recieve.

This attitude from QR Makes me extremely weary on booking premium cabin With them ever again.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:30 am

Hi @msm200uk - can you clarify:

If I arrive in Doha on PHL-DOH in J, will I be granted access to the Al Mourjan lounge, even though I'm connecting to a flight in Y (DOH-SIN)?

Alternately, if one arrives in Doha on PHL-DOH in Y, but connects to DOH-SIN in J, will they be granted access to the Al Mourjan?

Sorry, I am a newbie and I am confused about who gets access to this lounge.

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:14 am

hapuna this has already been answered by msm200uk in post 2330 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26914507.
"The issue with the Long-Haul J/F to Y connection, is purely down to QR staffing.

However, it is not all staff, but specifically the Escalator Dragons who don't know the rules themselves, and are there specifically to scan a J/F onward boarding pass.

My advice in situations like this, is to take the Lift up to the Lounge.

Doing so, means you arrive at the Reception Desk of either the Al Safwa or Al Mourjan, and the desk staff are very good and aware of the rules.

The regular QR Forum FTers tend to know the rules better than the QR Staff, but their word is the rule of the moment.

I've had 'discussions' with QR Escalator Dragons at the Al Safwa, and then just use the Lift to circumvent their lack of knowledge regarding the Rules.

It is frustrating I appreciate, and better training is perhaps needed - but that won't happen overnight."

If you are departing DOH in J then you will have access to Al Mourjan.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by remdk
hapuna this has already been answered by msm200uk in post 2330 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26914507.
"The issue with the Long-Haul J/F to Y connection, is purely down to QR staffing.

However, it is not all staff, but specifically the Escalator Dragons who don't know the rules themselves, and are there specifically to scan a J/F onward boarding pass.

My advice in situations like this, is to take the Lift up to the Lounge.

Doing so, means you arrive at the Reception Desk of either the Al Safwa or Al Mourjan, and the desk staff are very good and aware of the rules.

The regular QR Forum FTers tend to know the rules better than the QR Staff, but their word is the rule of the moment.

I've had 'discussions' with QR Escalator Dragons at the Al Safwa, and then just use the Lift to circumvent their lack of knowledge regarding the Rules.

It is frustrating I appreciate, and better training is perhaps needed - but that won't happen overnight."

If you are departing DOH in J then you will have access to Al Mourjan.
Im curious as in a past post you said it was highly unlikely you would experience Al Safwa but now youre the elevator expert 🙄 . As an aside were you there on 27th july with 4 kids in tow ? Just curious . Personally Ive never had any problems visiting Al Safwa with a valid boarding pass on multiple visits
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:51 pm

crombiestone Post 264 was about Al Mourjan not Al Safwa. My reply, post 265, quoted msm2000uks reply to a similar question but regarding both Al Mourjan and Al Safwa. Did you not note the ""s around msm200uks reply? They are not my words but his.
I repeat I have not used Al Safwa because there was no destination with an F cabin that I needed. There is now but my client would have to pay the first class fares, which I very much doubt, especially since I have been trying to retire for several years now.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:05 am

I've never had an issue with the "Escalator Dragons", when accessing Al Mourjan / Al Safwa when my next flight is in Y after arriving in J/F. Just a quick explanation "Hello, I've just arrived on a flight over 5 hours in J/F" "welcome Mr Skoodledoo, just go and speak to the staff on the desk".
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Horrible service from Qatar customer relations

Hi everyone,

This is the first time this has happened to me on a flight and need some advice:

I flew from DOH-BOS at the end of July in Business. The in seat TV monitor was not functioning properly - I could not choose any movies or view any of the selections on the screen. The monitor only displayed the "welcome" screen and wouldn't change to anything else. I was able to shut it off and change the brightness though. The handset only allowed me to choose movies (not TV shows or games etc) and kept on replaying the same movie even though I picked something else. The cabin attendant did a reset on my system 7 times (yes, 7 times!!) but still nothing happened nor resolved. I was only able to watch 1 movie - superman vs. batman the whole flight.

I am BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald) but I know that doesn't do much flying on a different airline, let alone Qatar.

I was told by the head purser that she would write a report and that someone from Qatar Customer Services would contact me in a days following arrival. Obviously, no one contacted me. I wrote in to customer relations and and the response was "As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer you 5000/- Qmiles which can be credited to your Privilege Club membership account upon request. Qmiles are to be credited to Qatar Airways frequent flyer account only.
If you are not a member of the Privilege Club, our frequent flier programme, you are kindly requested to visit www.qmiles.comto instantly enrol. Once enrolled, please forward us your membership number in order for us to arrange for the credit of the Qmiles."

Now I don't know what they're thinking, but 5000 Qmiles can't be redeemed for anything (other than excess baggage, but with my status it's waived anyway!). I had suggested perhaps a travel certificate or a waive of change fees as I was thinking of changing my return date, but the customer relations representative replied with a strict "NO".

How can they justify 5000 Qmiles for a non fully functioning TV screen for a 12hr flight?!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do further to pursue compensation?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
What do you expect? A first class roundtrip voucher or something? Seriously, QR offered you compensation, that's more than most passengers get. I've had broken seats and entertainment systems more than once, got apologies, but never any compensation (flying in Eco and PE mostly).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Bit of a weird situation

I have just had a bit of strange situation coming up. I bought an N coded economy ticket DXB - FCO. Unfortunately my DXB - Doha flight was cancelled due to the crash. I was reissued a ticket departing AUH instead but I didn't realize that the fare was downgraded to W.
My plan was to upgrade using the 35 per cent discount currently available as the FCO leg is the crappy Dreamliner Y class. Of course I only find out of the code change at the lounge when requesting the upgrade and told that W fares don't qualify for upgrades.
So throught no fault of my own I miss the opportunity to upgrade myself and will earn fewer miles for the flight too.
Do I have an argument at least to earn the correct amount of miles for the doh - Fco leg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.