Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by creampuff
I thought 2 x stops (not transits) in the one city was not allowed but it seems I'm being allowed to do it.
Not so

On my last xONEx I had three stopovers in PER, perfectly OK
(...HKG-PER-BME-PER-DRW-PER-HKG...)

In the continent of origin (in your case Europe/Middle East) you are allowed only two stopovers. You have the allowed two (both in London as it happens) so that's fine too.

As Moomba said - there is a bug in the tool that incorrectly prices the itinerary when you start in one Middle Eastern country and end in a different one.

With regard to getting your itinerary ticketed - you could book it with the AA round the world desk and then contact AA's sales agent in Cairo to pay for it. To do this AA insists on at least one of the "over water" (i.e. inter-continental) segments being an AA flight. On your itinerary that could be either HKG-JFK or LAX-SCL flight (CX or LA metal, but book the AA codeshare). If this option is of interest, let us know and we can provide advice on how to go about it.

Enjoy

ps You must of course consider the frequent flyer mileage implications of your trip- a whole new world of possibilities!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by pandaperth

With regard to getting your itinerary ticketed - you could book it with the AA round the world desk and then contact AA's sales agent in Cairo to pay for it. To do this AA insists on at least one of the "over water" (i.e. inter-continental) segments being an AA flight. On your itinerary that could be either HKG-JFK or LAX-SCL flight (CX or LA metal, but book the AA codeshare). If this option is of interest, let us know and we can provide advice on how to go about it.
Hi, that would be great if you could give me some info on having the AA desk ticket this, esp if it means I can terminate the trip in Amman instead of going back to Cairo. I have doubts I can get £16,000 worth of tickets to go through on a website without human intervention somewhere. I'll need a human in any case as I need an infant ticket, which cannot be booked online.

What's the latest date of the last flight, is it 330 days from date of ticket issue?

Originally Posted by pandaperth
ps You must of course consider the frequent flyer mileage implications of your trip- a whole new world of possibilities!
Oh yes; there is a reason why I've put in HKG-JFK with later flights back to LAX via CUN and MIA instead of just going direct HKG-LAX, then JFK-MIA-CUN and from CUN there is a direct Lan Chile flight to Santiago. But that would reduce my FF mileage
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I'm thinking of doing this DONE5 route:

Cairo (BA)
London (QF)
Sydney (QF or JAL)
Tokyo (Sri Lankan)
Colombo (Malaysian)
Kuala Lumpur (Cathay)
Hong Kong (Cathay)
New York (AA)
Cancun (AA)
Miami (AA)
Los Angeles (Lan)
Santiago (Lan)
Easter Island (Lan)
Rio de Janeiro (via Santiago = 2 segments)
London (BA)
Cairo

The fare rules say I don't have to terminate in Cairo, I can terminate in another Middle East location. For me, Amman would be preferable. However if I substitute Amman for Cairo at the end of the trip, the price goes up significantly.

Am I missing something? Is it pricing the whole trip with the AMM price rather than the CAI price due to finishing in Amman?

General comments on my itinerary also welcome as are the logistics of actually paying US$24,000-odd for 2 adult+child+infant tickets in Cairo when I live in London.

I think I have it pretty efficient. Every flight except Easter Island -> Rio is a single sector and I actually do want to go to all those destinations. Only thinks I'm thinking of now are deleting something like Miami and adding either Cairns or Vancouver.
Due you want to finish in AMM or just any ME destination besides CAI? Try DXB; I believe that works using the tool.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:05 am

I'd rather go to AMM..... if it finished in AMM, I would actually use the last flight. If it was CAI or DXB, I suspect the last flight might go bye-bye since the second last stop is London, which is home....

Last time I went to Jordan, a decade ago, I didn't climb up the hill to the Monastery in Petra, can go back and get it this time
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'd rather go to AMM..... if it finished in AMM, I would actually use the last flight. If it was CAI or DXB, I suspect the last flight might go bye-bye since the second last stop is London, which is home....

Last time I went to Jordan, a decade ago, I didn't climb up the hill to the Monastery in Petra, can go back and get it this time
LHR - AMM using RJ would also be quite a bit cheaper than either CAI or DXB on BA (due to outlandishly high fuel surcharges added by BA).

+1 to the advise of using the AA RTW desk for setting up ticketing. It requires a phone call (rather than the DIY website), but it might save $ ,000s.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi, that would be great if you could give me some info on having the AA desk ticket this, esp if it means I can terminate the trip in Amman instead of going back to Cairo. I have doubts I can get £16,000 worth of tickets to go through on a website without human intervention somewhere. I'll need a human in any case as I need an infant ticket, which cannot be booked online.
[BEGIN ADVICE]
  1. Do your homework - these recent threads will be useful http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-ex-cairo.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...rary-help.html
  2. Have your script written down (make it clear that you will be paying through AA's Cairo GSA and so want the Egyptian price; have all your flights numbers, origin, destination, dates ready to read out to the agent)
  3. Phone the AA RTW Desk (Dallas office hours) +1 800 247 3247
  4. Phone back 24hrs later to get the final price
  5. Contact GSA in Cairo to pay
[/END ADVICE]

What's the latest date of the last flight, is it 330 days from date of ticket issue?
The ticket rule is
7. Return travel from the last stopover point must commence no later than 12 months after departure
However the limitations of the booking systems must be considered. And yes if using AA to ticket then, at the time of booking, the last flight cannot be more than 330 days from the date of booking. BUT date/time changes are free of charge so what people do is to have dummy dates for the later flights in the itinerary and simply later phone AA to change them to desired dates.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:48 pm

Does this mean the last flight could be as late as 12 months + 330 days (ie almost 2 years) from the ticketed date?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Does this mean the last flight could be as late as 12 months + 330 days (ie almost 2 years) from the ticketed date?
Something like that

Let's say:

You book the itinerary today
with the first flight in 300 days
and the last flight in 330 days (note 1)

Then during the intervening time you can move these dates out further into the future and finish up with
The first flight one year from today (note 2)
and the last flight one year after that

Note 1: you would likely want to have a (short) stopover between flights, rather than transits. This is because later changing a transit to a stopover is considered a re-route and so attracts the USD125 change fee

Note 2: There is a risk to changing the first flight of the itinerary - which is that if the fare has increased since you purchased the ticket, then you have to pay the new fare. This is also the case if you re-route any part of the itinerary before taking the first flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
LHR - AMM using RJ would also be quite a bit cheaper than either CAI or DXB on BA (due to outlandishly high fuel surcharges added by BA).

+1 to the advise of using the AA RTW desk for setting up ticketing. It requires a phone call (rather than the DIY website), but it might save $ ,000s.
Why take BA to DXB when you can take a QF 380?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:16 am

-10 to that suggestion! The RTW desk can be fine, but that depends on the agent who picks up the phone. They will transfer you to a specific agent if you know who to ask for.

But the rate desk they must use to verify and price your ticket is nothing better than pathetic. Unless price is of little importance to you, you'd want an independent way to verify their price.

I recently finished an ex-JNB trip, making several changes along the way, and the only time the pricing was correct was initially. That was done by the agent in Capetown, after he'd waited several days for the official rate desk to do it. I've posted several times about their errors.

Booking and ticketing ex-JNB was by phone. The personnel who answered were always intelligent, professional, and competent. But time zones meant I needed to call around midnight my time, a bit inconvenient. There was (is, I believe) a very good agent in Cairo who handled a couple of previous trips by email.

On the subject of AA code-shares, such segments will have a YQ/YR chosen by AA which might be lower than the operating carrier's. I saved about $200 on JNB-LHR that way. But when I showed up for that flight, the agent said "oh, your flight was canceled. We put all our pax on the later flight, but you'll have to talk to AA. Didn't they call you?" I don't remember if the rtw desk was even open at that hour, but with a lot of pestering I did get a BA supervisor there to rebook us - it wasn't easy or fun, though.

In another thread here we discussed whose responsibility it was. I don't recall the consensus, but BA certainly thought it wasn't them and they were the gate-keeper at that moment.

A lot of happy-face comments may be from people who've been luckier than I, or haven't flown recently, or haven't checked to see if the Good Old AA ATW desk did it right. We've flown a dozen xONEx's over the past decade or so - a pittance in some lucky folks' history - and I can assure you it's not like it used to be.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JohnAx
A lot of happy-face comments may be from people who've been luckier than I, or haven't flown recently, or haven't checked to see if the Good Old AA ATW desk did it right. We've flown a dozen xONEx's over the past decade or so - a pittance in some lucky folks' history - and I can assure you it's not like it used to be.
You are correct that my last positive AA ATW desk experience was a few years back. Based on your more recent experiences I shall stop recommending them.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:29 am

You are correct that my last positive AA ATW desk experience was a few years back. Based on your more recent experiences I shall stop recommending them.
I think like all things which are complicated, your success rate will depend a lot on the knowledge of the person who handles your call.

I'll give the AA desk a try, it's not like the OW-RTW tool is pricing up trips correctly if you start in CAI and end in AMM either!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I only have good things to say about AA's GSA in Cairo. The ladies there are outstanding and have helped me, more than once, outside of normal business hours. My current ticket has become a dog's breakfast and they are responding quickly to try to have it fixed.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:35 pm

Just to confirm the information regarding length of trip with the rules experts:

If I purchased the ticket on 17JAN2014 and segment #1 (trips started) occurred on 28FEB2014, what is the latest date I can fly in 2015? Departing from my last stopover.

Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
28th Feb 2015 .... 1 year after the first segment.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 30, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.