Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by pcharles
You'll have to call in and get points applied to pending after the spend. The 25K, 10K, 10K does not relate to the code.

what are those points then?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bernyx
I called after I got the card and gave the 6661 code and was told I'd get the 75k points 8 weeks after spending the $1000. I see now there's pending pts of 25k, 10k, 10k, is this typically how it's done?
No. Did you perhaps request other promos along the way, or refer a couple other people to sign up?

Originally Posted by jsamperz
Which number did you call? I called the number in the back of my card today and I got the "I was not targeted line"
Are you a new Amex account holder, and if so, how would they know with certainty if you were targeted? Marketing list data is inherently subject to error... people move, names can vary slightly, etc. Unless they had a unique and reliable identifier for you, e.g., your SS#, I don't see how they'd be sure you weren't targeted.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by bernyx
what are those points then?
Call in to MR and you'll see...
You will want get that adjusted soon.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by bitachu
trying to recap active codes for peeps..let me know if you need help or a referrall..

6939 1k 3 months --75k
6661 1k 3months--75k
5894 500$ 3 months (expire may?)--75k
Called and tried 6661 and they told me that I had to be approved by Aug 18th and I wasn't eligible.
Tried the other two and they said that I wasn't targeted.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Via referral I did the 10k personal gold app online, instant approval, with the intention of bumping with 6661. My question: If they won't bump, does it hurt my credit card rating if I (a) cancel before activation; (b) cancel after activation?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:11 pm

Data point:
Applied for the card on the Sept 1st and received it today (Sept 8th).
I probably called Membership Rewards around 7-8 times, and was denied on all of them (i tried mentioning both 6661 and 6939.
On the last call, the lady said "i see here that you called many times today already", and we now have on this department specific instructions to only approve bonus ID's if you are targeted...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
Toast

Any chance of improving them deal you signed up for is over...toast.
I had called two weeks ago and had the 75K added to my account, a call today to confirm after reaching 1K spending, went sour. First agent, another, and her supervisor all stick with the line "you get what you signed up for".
I paid my statement off, used my few points and closed the account. I would imagine this is the end of any changes to any AMX card into the future.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:34 am

[QUOTE=mooper;17074333]No. Did you perhaps request other promos along the way, or refer a couple other people to sign up?

no, just the 6661 bonus and they said I'd get 75k 8 weeks after spending $1000

I used the link to sign up using the 25k bonus link
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:46 am

I think Amex bonus matching is dead as a doornail now.

I had my Business Gold notated on 7/4/11 for promo 6608, I met the spend and called back in 8 weeks like they asked, and they said even though I have the notes in my account for it and that a MANAGER told me I would get the bonus points, they will not give them to me.

The MR rep was very rude about it, and his supervisor was rude as hell about it too.

If Amex put in notes that they would give you something, they should.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
I sent a SM about 26 hours ago requesting the bouns points and haven't get the reply yet
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
I sent a SM about 26 hours ago requesting the bouns points and haven't get the reply yet
I am thinking of doing the same. I think we shouldn't just give up on this. It is ok if they cut the matching as of Sept.1 for new applications, but they should stick to what they promised to the other customers. This is American Express after all a supposedly serious and somewhat prestigious company... maybe not anymore.

good luck to all with their promotions applied
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kingdomofpeace
Called and tried 6661 and they told me that I had to be approved by Aug 18th and I wasn't eligible.
Tried the other two and they said that I wasn't targeted.
How do they know you aren't targeted for the other two? What if you lived at a different address and received the flyer there... or they sent it to a variant of the spelling of your name that appears on your credit report... etc? I wouldn't volunteer more info than you need to. You might not have proof that you were targeted, but they don't have proof you were not (or at least not that you could have been accidentally solicited via one of the aforementioned confusions).

Originally Posted by compddd
I think Amex bonus matching is dead as a doornail now.
Not true. I know of two people who had it approved in the past two days. (albeit 6939 for PRG, not the Biz Gold you reference).

Originally Posted by compddd
If Amex put in notes that they would give you something, they should.
It's not the notes that matter, it is what they tell you. Even if you don't qualify, aren't targeted, etc., but they *tell you* that they've made an exception and you'll receive the points, they are on the hook legally *but only if you rely on the information to your financial detriment*. If you took no action, then going back on their word might be bad business practice and will alienate customers, but isn't something they need to honor.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
Not true. I know of two people who had it approved in the past two days. (albeit 6939 for PRG, not the Biz Gold you reference).
I am curious - did they get the notations to their accounts or did they get the bumps released? These are 2 very different things - get notated now no longer means get the extra bump eventually.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:43 am

If I have a SM confirmed by AmExp that I will get the bonus offer after meet the requirement, could they not honor it?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:57 pm

From what I've been reading, if you have written confirmation in the form of an SM saying they will give it to you, then they will honor it.

It's the verbal agreements and notated accounts done over the phone that they are saying "NO DICE" to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.