Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Applied for PR Gold personal card on 8/21, received and activated card on 8/27 in mail, called MR on 8/28 to apply code 6939 for 75,000 bump. Was told I should see the 75,000 points in my account 6-8 weeks after spending $1000.
No luck - tried 6939. Was told I had 2 bonuses already were applied to account which must have been automatic since I did not call before. 1) 10,000 points on 1st charge, 2) additional 15,000 on 2nd charge. Was told that had to be met AND points POSTED before they would consider applying another code. He said call back after they post.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I just want to say that if there weren't other promos out there right now that I'm chasing that this is a damn fine card and I might use her for my regular post promothon spending.

Thank you amex
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by yenemy
Oh... also, does it make a difference what number I call? I just called the number on the back of the card and went to 'representative,' 'general question'
Call Membership Rewards at 800-297-3276, not the number on the back of your card.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:02 pm

Is there a 100,000 point for 1k spend offer floating around?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:25 am

on August 12th I applied for the Personal PRG using the 15K MR points link

on August 16th I sent a secure msg regarding code 6661.

on August 17th I got a response saying it would be applied to my account

on August 22nd I met the $1000 spend requirement

on August 29th 25,000 pts posted to my account. Why 25k and not 15k? Not sure, but my MR account shows a 15k deposit and a 10k deposit

on August 29th I called to asked where the other 50k pts were and they said I was not eligible for code 6661. I hung up and called again. I was again told I was not eligible for code 6661. I hung up and called again. On the third phone call, I was told I was not eligible for code 6661. All three calls said they saw the note where 6661 was applied, but upon asking their supervisor, was told I was not eligible. I was at wits end so decided to read, verbatim, the SM I received on 08/17. After a few more minutes on hold, the rep came back and said because I had received that SM, the supervisor would make an exception.

so for everyone out there who was told they would have code XXXX notated on their account, please be aware that you may be in for a fight.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: All of the Above
I had bonus ID 6661 applied to my account a couple weeks ago, and I met the $1K spend and my statement closed on 8/26. 0 points posted (not even the points for the original 15K offer). I called today, and ask the MR rep to post the 75K. She told me that she could put them as pending, but they wouldn't clear until about 2-3 weeks and I had to pay the bill before they cleared. She told me if they didn't show up by 9/11 (my payment due date), then call back.

1. How long should it take to have points post from a closing statement? The online statement doesn't even had a "Points Earned" section like my airline Am Ex cards do. Should it tell me on the statement that I earned points?
2. Also, has anyone else been told you have to make a payment before the points post?
3. I'm hoping that I will get my bonus offer I applied for (15K points for $1K spend) in addition to the 75K points they put as pending. Has this happened for anyone else?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DrSifu
on August 12th I applied for the Personal PRG using the 15K MR points link

on August 16th I sent a secure msg regarding code 6661.

on August 17th I got a response saying it would be applied to my account

on August 22nd I met the $1000 spend requirement

on August 29th 25,000 pts posted to my account. Why 25k and not 15k? Not sure, but my MR account shows a 15k deposit and a 10k deposit

on August 29th I called to asked where the other 50k pts were and they said I was not eligible for code 6661. I hung up and called again. I was again told I was not eligible for code 6661. I hung up and called again. On the third phone call, I was told I was not eligible for code 6661. All three calls said they saw the note where 6661 was applied, but upon asking their supervisor, was told I was not eligible. I was at wits end so decided to read, verbatim, the SM I received on 08/17. After a few more minutes on hold, the rep came back and said because I had received that SM, the supervisor would make an exception.

so for everyone out there who was told they would have code XXXX notated on their account, please be aware that you may be in for a fight.
So, you were able to get your 75k before your first statement? Wow, nice work.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:56 pm

It appears from threads I have read that Promo Code 6678, which gives you 75,000 points with $2,000 in spend is active right now thru 09/06/11.

If you plan on applying for this Amex Peronsal Gold Membership Rewards Card and trying the 75K bump please send me your First & Last names and your email address via PM so I can refer you to the basic card offer. That's 10K points for me for the referral.

Thanks and good luck
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cwilson830
So, you were able to get your 75k before your first statement? Wow, nice work.
My statement closed on August 26th. I paid the balance before that.

Based on one of the secure messages, they said I had to meet AND pay off the spend requirement.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:20 pm

I applied on the 12th, was approved on the 21st or 22nd (forgot I had placed a fraud alert on my credit line so had to call in and confirm it was me). Called once through the number on the back of the card, was picked up by a rep who rejected me in a very firm but polite way, saying that offer was for solicited customers only. Got a lot of questions about how I got the bonus code, I just played dumb and said I was referred.

Asked x712xdamx for his pitch, because I was really puzzled about how to respond to their questions. He PMed me the following (I hope it's okay with him if I post it here):

Call 1800-AXP-EARN. That's the Membership Rewards # but sometimes it will get answered by general CSR's. You want to tell them that you have your PRG card, you love it, but you heard of a better sign up of 75,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months..and the offer code is 6661 and that you want it applied to your account. They may transfer you to someone, put you on hold, etc...

If they ask for something you don't have, you simply have to be honest and say "I don't have it, but my friends got it, and I want to take the trips with them, and get the same level of customer service as them by getting the same offer.".
They may put you on hold, get approval by a supervisor, and give it to you.
So today I called the number above. A very nice sounding older lady picked up, I gave her the first part of the pitch more or less word for word... she put me on hold for about thirty seconds and then came back on and said it was all set. No problems at all.

I see people are getting approved with 6939, but this was with 6661.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by yenemy
I applied on the 12th, was approved on the 21st or 22nd (forgot I had placed a fraud alert on my credit line so had to call in and confirm it was me). Called once through the number on the back of the card, was picked up by a rep who rejected me in a very firm but polite way, saying that offer was for solicited customers only. Got a lot of questions about how I got the bonus code, I just played dumb and said I was referred.

Asked x712xdamx for his pitch, because I was really puzzled about how to respond to their questions. He PMed me the following (I hope it's okay with him if I post it here):

So today I called the number above. A very nice sounding older lady picked up, I gave her the first part of the pitch more or less word for word... she put me on hold for about thirty seconds and then came back on and said it was all set. No problems at all.

I see people are getting approved with 6939, but this was with 6661.
Glad to help!
PM me if anybody wants a referral and more help.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by DavidAL
I had bonus ID 6661 applied to my account a couple weeks ago, and I met the $1K spend and my statement closed on 8/26. 0 points posted (not even the points for the original 15K offer). I called today, and ask the MR rep to post the 75K. She told me that she could put them as pending, but they wouldn't clear until about 2-3 weeks and I had to pay the bill before they cleared. She told me if they didn't show up by 9/11 (my payment due date), then call back.

1. How long should it take to have points post from a closing statement? The online statement doesn't even had a "Points Earned" section like my airline Am Ex cards do. Should it tell me on the statement that I earned points?
2. Also, has anyone else been told you have to make a payment before the points post?
3. I'm hoping that I will get my bonus offer I applied for (15K points for $1K spend) in addition to the 75K points they put as pending. Has this happened for anyone else?

As an update, the MR reps told me they couldn't do anything to expedite the posting of my "pending" points, so I sent a SM via AmEx.com and within about 1 hour they replied back, said yes we will expedite them for you, and here's 100 extra points for being nice. I know it's only 100 points, but hey, it's free. Also, my points from my original "offer" of 15K after $1K spending haven't show up yet, so I'm hoping that I get those also. We shall see, and maybe tomorrow I will call back about adding 6664 to my account as well.

FWIW, I applied on 8/16, and have gotten all this done in the last 2 weeks. Maybe they will be nice enough to give me 6664 as well! Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidAL
As an update, the MR reps told me they couldn't do anything to expedite the posting of my "pending" points, so I sent a SM via AmEx.com and within about 1 hour they replied back, said yes we will expedite them for you, and here's 100 extra points for being nice. I know it's only 100 points, but hey, it's free. Also, my points from my original "offer" of 15K after $1K spending haven't show up yet, so I'm hoping that I get those also. We shall see, and maybe tomorrow I will call back about adding 6664 to my account as well.

FWIW, I applied on 8/16, and have gotten all this done in the last 2 weeks. Maybe they will be nice enough to give me 6664 as well! Thanks!
Actually, you do not quite understand how AMEX AMEX works.

First of all, your Citi AMEX card has NOTHING to do with American Express the bank that issued you the AMEX card(s) other than use the logo and the transaction processing network.

Secondly, AMEX CHARGE CARDs work this way in posting the Membership Reward points - they DONT show pending even after the statement cycle - they only show pending AFTER you pay in full, and then they would automatically go out of pending to available AFTER the 2nd statement closed.

In order to expedite the points, it seems some reps know how to by pass the requirement some dont - the requirement is, you must already have some earned MR pts in your account - when you have zippo as a new card, what they do is to gift you a courtesy lump - ranging from 1 point to the more common 100 pt - then they could expedite the release of the 75K pts or whatever however the amount might be. You should see your chunk of bonus points tomorrow, hopefully. The 100 pts are there to facilitate that but there is a time gap between the 2.

Count yourself lucky to have this being taken care of in the short timeline - there are folks literally have to wait 6 to 8 weeks. In our own household, one card did not need the courtesy points and got the 75K pts on one short sweet SM reply. The full 75K just popped up. Yet the other card went thru 4 SMs and required the 100 courtesy points to achieve the same thing with 2 days gap between the 100 pts and the 75K pts plus the original 25K pending pts disappeared all together during that 2 days! Our requests all had the SAME wordings in the initial SMs but met with very different outcome all depends the luck of which rep you got!

It is an extremely inconsistent process as far as AMEX goes.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Actually, you do not quite understand how AMEX AMEX works.

First of all, your Citi AMEX card has NOTHING to do with American Express the bank that issued you the AMEX card(s) other than use the logo and the transaction processing network.

Secondly, AMEX CHARGE CARDs work this way in posting the Membership Reward points - they DONT show pending even after the statement cycle - they only show pending AFTER you pay in full, and then they would automatically go out of pending to available AFTER the 2nd statement closed.

In order to expedite the points, it seems some reps know how to by pass the requirement some dont - the requirement is, you must already have some earned MR pts in your account - when you have zippo as a new card, what they do is to gift you a courtesy lump - ranging from 1 point to the more common 100 pt - then they could expedite the release of the 75K pts or whatever however the amount might be. You should see your chunk of bonus points tomorrow, hopefully. The 100 pts are there to facilitate that but there is a time gap between the 2.

Count yourself lucky to have this being taken care of in the short timeline - there are folks literally have to wait 6 to 8 weeks. In our own household, one card did not need the courtesy points and got the 75K pts on one short sweet SM reply. The full 75K just popped up. Yet the other card went thru 4 SMs and required the 100 courtesy points to achieve the same thing with 2 days gap between the 100 pts and the 75K pts plus the original 25K pending pts disappeared all together during that 2 days! Our requests all had the SAME wordings in the initial SMs but met with very different outcome all depends the luck of which rep you got!

It is an extremely inconsistent process as far as AMEX goes.
Happy, I never said anything about Citi. I have the Citi AA "Am Ex", and yes, I do know the difference of the 2.

Thanks for the other info about the MR points pending/posting.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
So to sum it up..looks like these are the current promos right? anything else?

6661 75k for 1000--PRG

6678 bus gold amex--75k after 2k spending expires 9/6

6939 - 75K points - spend $1000 within 3 months--PRG

6664 15 transactions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.