Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

[Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup

Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:05 pm
  #1276  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,807
It is not a matter of being nice or not.

The current situation is AMEX Corporate Office has a change of heart and hard instructions are given to reps.

Reps now are fearful of losing their jobs if they try to accommodate customers by honoring what are notated on the accounts.

I have had a rep told me this late last week. I told her if she could not do it, that was fine. I would not put her on the spot. For that she thanked me repeatedly.

If you are eligible they can see it now in the system, versus it wasn't the case as late as last week. Now it seems some modification has been done to the system and literally prevent front end / low level reps to do anything. Higher level reps still have some power and the Executive Office folks still have power to issue whatever bonuses or Goodwill Adjustment in lieu of promised bonuses.

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Just a data point:

- very early July application w/10k MR
- early August SM to request offer 5894 (75k w/$500 spend for apps 4/1-7/1)
- spend met recently
- single SM copying prior SM offer to request application of 65k difference
- 65k MR posted immediately


10k for 15 purch/mth

Called on this one and it was already on my account. Agent read T&C. Gonna get three months of meeting requirements before calling to request points applied. See if there is a difference between call center and written SM.

Be Nice

Just a last reminder to be kind to your Amex representative. If your results are not going in the right direction it's better to thank them and try again. If you dig in your heels you're more likely to get a note to your account that limits the success of future contacts on the same issue.

Also, after a good result I always make sure to send one final SM thanking the agent for their help, telling them how what they did will solidify my loyalty with Amex and emphasizing how they've made a difference for me.

Most agents really do want to help you. It's good karma to be nice.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:13 pm
  #1277  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,807
Originally Posted by HikerT
It's one thing to not honor the points. It's another thing for AMEX to claim there is no written proof for offers that were notated. Notated = written proof. For them to claim otherwise borders on an integrity issue.
They are doing this now unless people have made meticulous records on their previous phone calls.

All the MR reps agreed my account was properly notated with the AU bonuses (2 kinds, for only 2 AUs), including the manager's name and date and comments.

Yet, all were telling me they could not honor that because my account was not targeted.

Took it to the Executive Office level. Was given phony response on first day. Followed up on the next day. Had to get down to ugly words before the guy agreed to honor one of the promo by way of Goodwill Adjustment.

I can see it is getting harder and harder even calling the 212 number (which the operator actually transferred me back to MR office in Ft. Lauderdale).

I think the card companies should think long and hard going forward about their marketing / acquisition efforts. It might be better for them to offer standard bonus offers than all sorts of "targeted" offers.

Also after seeing Chase took a hardline on its Sapphire Preferred targeted offer, and apparently had not had ill result, AMEX might decide to go that direction.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:27 pm
  #1278  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: A few
Posts: 5,499
Originally Posted by Happy

Reps now are fearful of losing their jobs if they try to accommodate customers by honoring what are notated on the accounts.

I have had a rep told me this late last week. I told her if she could not do it, that was fine. I would not put her on the spot. For that she thanked me repeatedly.
sad to say but there are plenty of folks on ft who would rather see people lose their jobs than them not get their points... just read the whole aa/verizon thread for plenty of evidence of that
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:44 pm
  #1279  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 218
Well, at least our unemployment rate is still unchanged
DziVang is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:51 pm
  #1280  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by zutmin
Well, I have taken this to the next level.

Not gonna post any more details on what I did until I see what kind of result we get.
Got the 100K

Had to provide "proof" of the offer being notated and promised. Had text from a prior SM and provided that as the proof. Did all of this via SM.
zutmin is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:50 pm
  #1281  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: many
Posts: 1,437
Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
That's great. Care to share more details about what that really means and what is still alive?

For the record, just completed the spend and tried the bump, was shot down in record time on both 6661 and 6939.
If you are saying you did the spend prior to trying to get the bump noted, you are definitely out of luck. Otherwise, as others are showing, bumps that were noted have been moving forward. And in some cases, more than just the bump has been posted to the account. YMMV.
pcharles is offline  
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:19 pm
  #1282  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BZN
Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Posts: 8,291
Originally Posted by Valveking
Has anyone lately been able to stack this with the 10,000 per month bonus for 15 transactions?
That promo, 6664, is an alternative signup bonus. Some have reported being told they were notated with that plus a 75K offer, but I haven't seen a single report of it posting along with it. I don't think we'll see any - they are reportedly not stackable. Either take 50K or 75K. I'd go with the latter.

Originally Posted by zutmin
Well, I have taken this to the next level.

Not gonna post any more details on what I did until I see what kind of result we get.
So you were the dude on the news who streaked the Amex corporate offices? Funny, but I don't think it's going to convince them!

Originally Posted by Happy
Yet, all were telling me they could not honor that because my account was not targeted.
Are you a new Amex card holder? If so, they actually can't tell with certainty if you were targeted. They *can* insist that you read them the RSVP code, but if you tell them you received but no longer have the flyer in hand, they should honor it. If you are an existing account holder and they have all your info on file with a unique identifier, then different story.
mooper is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:05 am
  #1283  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,807
Originally Posted by mooper
Are you a new Amex card holder? If so, they actually can't tell with certainty if you were targeted. They *can* insist that you read them the RSVP code, but if you tell them you received but no longer have the flyer in hand, they should honor it. If you are an existing account holder and they have all your info on file with a unique identifier, then different story.
I got the bump part back in July. It is the AU bonuses I could not get them honored.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:14 am
  #1284  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 730
I had 45k pts pending in my acct. Called today and got the 75k made availalbe immediately, very impressed with the service
bernyx is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2011, 2:03 am
  #1285  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DFW, ORD, IND
Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Posts: 249
I know that this has been asked before, but which code means what? There are too many codes floating around. I don't know if the OP could edit the first post and update with the current bonus id.
frubio2012 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:23 am
  #1286  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ROC
Programs: Anything CC gives me
Posts: 1,118
Originally Posted by frubio2012
I know that this has been asked before, but which code means what? There are too many codes floating around. I don't know if the OP could edit the first post and update with the current bonus id.
if you don't know by now, its too late anyway.
booyaa is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:19 pm
  #1287  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 297
Extra points in my Amex Account?

Ok, wondering if someone can help me figure this out. I applied for the AmEx PRG beginning of August and had the bump using code 6661 noted on my account on Aug. 22. I just paid off the statement a few days ago, and my account is showing 15k for the signup bonus and then something else called "10k bonus points with 1k spend". However, there is not the additional 50k for the 6661 code. Two questions:

1. Should those additional "bump" miles post the same time as the regular 15k miles? Meaning, should I call now and complain or should I wait the additional 6-8 weeks to see if they post?

2. What is the extra 10 k bonus that is one there? Do they put them on in increments? Is that something extra that got put on my account? I know people were getting 10k bonus for 15 purchases, but this says "1k spend".

Thanks.
civico is offline  
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:29 pm
  #1288  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 2,872
Originally Posted by civico
Ok, wondering if someone can help me figure this out. I applied for the AmEx PRG beginning of August and had the bump using code 6661 noted on my account on Aug. 22. I just paid off the statement a few days ago, and my account is showing 15k for the signup bonus and then something else called "10k bonus points with 1k spend". However, there is not the additional 50k for the 6661 code. Two questions:

1. Should those additional "bump" miles post the same time as the regular 15k miles? Meaning, should I call now and complain or should I wait the additional 6-8 weeks to see if they post?

2. What is the extra 10 k bonus that is one there? Do they put them on in increments? Is that something extra that got put on my account? I know people were getting 10k bonus for 15 purchases, but this says "1k spend".

Thanks.
You're going to have to fight Amex to get the points that they promised you in August. They will (almost certainly) not post automatically.
FlyerChrisK is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:07 am
  #1289  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
You're going to have to fight Amex to get the points that they promised you in August. They will (almost certainly) not post automatically.

They do not put them on on increments . If you open the statement it may tell you promo or goodwill adjustment but you will have to fight to get them like Flyer told you.
PETERPNYC is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:59 am
  #1290  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 46
Got my 75 K points. Interesting thing though I did not actualy spend $1,000/3 months. I spent $600 or so, but I had over $1,000 in actual charges ( I returned several items ). I emailed the AmEx customer service and asked for the points anyways. They either did not check that I technically spent under $1,000 or did not mind the returns, and I was issued 75 K points.
Now where should I transfer it....?
Libra7474 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.