Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:01 pm

santander, thanks for all your updates. I imagine the TK prem econ seat must be similar to the Eva Air PE seat -- 38 inch pitch, slightly more recline that econ seat, but ultimately, not a good enough seat for sleeping. A 2-3-2 configuration on the TK flight a slight improvement over the Eva 2-4-2 configuration of their 747 plane. But I'll bet the Taiwan FA's are younger, better looking, sweeter, and more attentive.

I'm thinking of the 6 hour wait at IST to and from LAX, and based on your comments, dreading it already. I don't have status on any of the *A airlines, but I do have Priority Pass so can use their lounge. But not expecting much. Hopefully, there'll be a shower.

I fly that route in Jan 2012.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze
You booked from Expedia and managed to get the outbound date changed through TK directly?
Yes, exactly as I stated. I assume you're confused about whether or not to be happy for me?

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Wow, you're super lucky. I have been told no 4 times now...

What did you say/do? Just simply asked to change dates, and they said "sure, no problem."???
The first time I called I cited my ticket number...the agent went away for a bit...then said he couldn't find the rules for the fare and that I would have to call Expedia (paraphrasing).

The second time I used my record locator, which was a challenge given the poor connection and the agent's limited language skills. He verified the existing dates...then I told him I wanted the same flights (obviously) but one week later. Then he went away to check. Incidentally, I was pulling up my ticket on the TK website the whole time. He finally came back and then I also noticed my ticket reflected the changes. ^ The agent never mentioned the rules, nor Expedia. Maybe he was reluctant to ask given the language issues? I also managed to get seat assignments (still giving out Biz seats on HKG-IST, even though it's CC). I'm assuming I just got lucky...I made sure to try and say thanks in Turkish!
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by tangoll
But I'll bet the Taiwan FA's are younger, better looking, sweeter, and more attentive.
Haha, I love BR FAs too. They're almost as good as on CX.
Hopefully, there'll be a shower.
The *A lounge is currently closed in IST so Priority Pass will do a lot more for you there than *G. The Millenium (accepts pay-in) and HSBC (Premier only) lounges are both pretty lame. I didn't go into the Priority Pass lounge, but I think it has a shower.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Piority Pass gives you acess to Primeclass CIP lounge (First Class Lounge), so it is very valuable in IST
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:35 am

Ah yes, that one. It looked the best of the lot for sure.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:38 am

Flew HKG-IST on June 11th:
* Called TK for seat assignments on June 8th and the agent insisted that it was 1-2-1 config
* Did e-check-in but could not print boarding pass (e-check-in boarding pass for TK not supported for HKG airport)
* Transfer check-in @ HKG was not open when I arrived ~12 noon or so & apparently opens ~6 PM
* Used Novotel Citigate day room (700 HKD for 6 hours and well worth it)
* Check-in for TK opened @ 8.05 PM
* No lounge access for CC but used CX business lounge as CX DM
* 2-3-2 config & cabin felt like business class cabin
* Amenities felt like business class amenities
* Seat: better than United domestic first class (due to foot rest) but not as good as old United international business class (due to pitch)
* Food: good presentation, silverware, and decent portion/quality
* Service: better than most airline Y service
* Originally booked HKG-IST-LAX RT on thy.com w/o stopover but was able to change it to HKG-IST-stop over-LAX w/o hassle
* IST airport: could not find ATM before immigration or customs. There is currency exchange after immigration. But there are many ATM's just as one exits customs
* $20 visa on arrival for US citizens

So far so good!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by HopWise
* IST airport: could not find ATM before immigration or customs. There is currency exchange after immigration. But there are many ATM's just as one exits customs
* $20 visa on arrival for US citizens
Despite what I've read in several places on the Internet that they only accept cash at the Visa counter, I saw someone pay by credit card and also a POS machine of some sort at the counter. Wouldn't count on them taking Amex though, haha.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:34 am

I will be on a cruise ship that stops in Istanbul in late August. I wonder if US passport holders will be charged $20 visa fee for stopover by ship of one day in Istanbul, even if we don't get off the ship to explore IST.

Anyone know?

Last edited by tangoll; Jun 12, 2011 at 5:51 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I will be on a cruise ship that stops in Istanbul in late August. I wonder if US passport holders will be charged $20 visa fee for stopover by ship of one day in Istanbul, even if we don't get off the ship to explore IST.

Anyone know?
I think there's an exception for cruise ship passengers if they don't disembark in Istanbul. This site gives some information, but it isn't very clear.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
deleted

Last edited by hiyo; Jun 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm Reason: unnecessary comment
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:04 pm

ianmanka, thanks for link. It's clear that cruise pax visiting Turkey for max 72 hours do not need visas to enter Turkey.

On the Consular Info - Visa Info page, ppt holders of HK SAR ppt, also do not need visas for up to 90 day visit, surprisingly, whereas most other countries ppt holders do need to pay US$20 for visa on arrival.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
santander, thanks for all your updates. I imagine the TK prem econ seat must be similar to the Eva Air PE seat -- 38 inch pitch, slightly more recline that econ seat, but ultimately, not a good enough seat for sleeping. A 2-3-2 configuration on the TK flight a slight improvement over the Eva 2-4-2 configuration of their 747 plane. But I'll bet the Taiwan FA's are younger, better looking, sweeter, and more attentive.

I'm thinking of the 6 hour wait at IST to and from LAX, and based on your comments, dreading it already. I don't have status on any of the *A airlines, but I do have Priority Pass so can use their lounge. But not expecting much. Hopefully, there'll be a shower.

I fly that route in Jan 2012.
I was at the lounge last week and suggest you make a right hand turn when you enter airpport to go to I believe it is CIM lounge. There are 2 listed but the one to the left was closed for repairs and they were only admitting some pasengers flying First class on TK to use it? I used the First class lounge on the second floor to the far right away from gates 10-13 ,

There were more than one lounge there, and they accepted my priority pass in one of them . It was a First Class lounge if I remember correctly
I feel certain there was not shower as it was very small, but staffed by a knockout Turkish Gal .
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Is this a a good hotel deal?

I stumbled upon a Crown Hotel promotion from Groupon Istanbul. I posted it in here, but am not sure about the translation and if the deal is a hot/cold. Could someone, especially those who understand Turksih, give their input?

For some of who will fly and stay in Istanbul before August 29, this could be a good hotel deal.

Cheers
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Has anyone with a U fare had their miles post to UA or CO? I'm trying to see if there was any bonus.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: All of Them
nothing to jump up and down about since its about 13 dollars cheaper than a IHG F&F rate and about $30-$40 cheaper than the non-refundable rate

Originally Posted by Tigersan
I stumbled upon a Crown Hotel promotion from Groupon Istanbul. I posted it in here, but am not sure about the translation and if the deal is a hot/cold. Could someone, especially those who understand Turksih, give their input?

For some of who will fly and stay in Istanbul before August 29, this could be a good hotel deal.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.