Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Changing IST stopover

So I am booked on TK from HKG on 24 Aug. I am scheduled for 5+ hours in IST but I want to change that to 5 days or so. No desire to change first leg.
The word on the thread seems to be that changes ARE possible after the start of the journey. So thats good, I think. When I arrive in IST, will TK happily change my flight to LAX?...even though its only 5 h before my flight to LAX? Anybody have any experience with this yet? Or will they do it for me in HKG?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It happens every day that pax change their plans shortly before departure...

At HKG ask to be checked in to IST only. At IST, pass immigration and collect your bags and then proceed to the TK ticket office to rebook your flight.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Jun 17, 2011 at 1:28 am
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just canceled my hkg-ist-lax-ist-hkg ticket with a stopover on the outbound. I'm traveling to HKG and found this and jumped on it. Since that time I realized I didn't need these miles to make 1k and wanted 4 more days in Asia as opposed to flying around, since my vacation days are limited.

Anyway I almost had to cry when canceling. Great deal and was looking forward to it. If I could predict my vacation after Jan 1 I would have waited and changed the date to qualify for next year but that won't happen until Dec at least.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Because it's not a useful post, so why post it? I know better than anyone else how many calls I'm willing to put up with. His post and yours add nothing but negativity without providing anything useful other than that you both think it's not worth the trouble.

Considering that at current I have no way home from Asia after my last TK RT and a one-way ticket home on the wrong date, how is it not worth it for me to try to get what several others have managed? The alternative is an expensive ticket unless there's a sale or another mistake fare, or using miles. Since I have until late October before I must cancel, an occasional attempt to get the right agent or trying alternative methods seems well worth it. The fare rules say it is changeable at no charge and others have changed it at no charge -- your "reality check" seems not very realistic to me.
Just wait until you've flown your first leg and change it en-route. At that point Expedia is out of the picture and TK has control of the ticket.

Otherwise, for a reasonable one way, you can try: http://www.aerohkg.com/
They are pretty competitive ex-HKG
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I am curious to know from those who've flown if because the seating assignments appear to all be based on a 1-2-1 configuration even when the 2-2-2 is flying, they had an empty seat beside them if seated in the two outer rows? Is TK underselling the cabin?
I booked two pairs of middle seats under the 1-2-1 seat map for 4 people, and when we took our seats for the HKG - IST leg (2-3-2), there was an empty seat between each pair of seats.

Unfortunately there is no real advantage to this empty seat as the arms are immobile, because they contain the table and the IFE.

Plenty of room even without the extra seat- my kids always want to fly Turkish Airlines "Princess Class" going forwards!

Friendly
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:48 am

Curious - has anyone done a back to back turn at LAX (HKG-IST-LAX-IST-HKG)?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jjgollum
Curious - has anyone done a back to back turn at LAX (HKG-IST-LAX-IST-HKG)?
I am curious also. I am holding a same day turn in LAX, but not till february, 2012. only 2.5 hours to clear immigration and TSA to get to gate.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Any feedback about crediting a U fare to UA or CO?

It appears that A fares did receive better bonuses from either UA (more RDMs) or CO (more EQMs).

Was it just 100% RDM and 100% EQM for either UA or CO?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Yes, I just did a back to back LAX turn a few days ago.

A few notes:
-Arrived into LAX 56 minutes early.
-It took 66 minutes from the moment I stepped off the aircraft to the moment I was airside at TBIT once again.
-I was seated in row 11 (i.e. the front of comfort class), and walked pretty fast to immigration
-Immigration was disgusting. Just a mass of people everywhere. We arrived shortly after CX from HKG, CA/MU from TPE (can't remember), EK from DXB, BA from LHR, and a bunch of others. Foreigners was absolute carnage, probably would take 1hr+. US nationals (me) was 30mins.
-Had no checked baggage.
-Sent to the "B" lane at Customs, i.e. the we-think-you're-smuggling-drugs lane, when I told the guy I came from HKG and was going right back to HKG. Agent there asked me why I was sent there, saw my itinerary, told me i'm insane, and sent me on my way.
-Checkin at LAX was easy, no line (but again, I am *A Gold).
-Zero line at security (as TK is one of the evening's first longhaul departures).
-Spent almost 2 hours in the *A lounge.

Also something to note from the 4 TK sectors I've taken so far - TK like to scare people, a lot. At IST, they showed "flight closing" 40 minutes before scheduled departure. Similar situation at HKG and IST. Despite the fact that the BPs say that the gate closes 15 mins before.

Something else - TK FAs don't seem to care that much about safety procedures. One example - On my last IST-HKG, there was a gentleman walking through Y and Y+ from the minute he boarded to when we were almost on the runway. He sat down in at least 4 different seats and got up a minute or so later. FAs passed him multiple times and didn't say a word. Likewise, in flight once, there was someone talking to his buddy in the aisle. Seatbelt signs went on due to minor turbulence. Gentleman remained standing in the aisle, and talking. The whole time (a good 20 mins). Again, FAs passed, said nothing.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
Yes, I just did a back to back LAX turn a few days ago.

A few notes:
-Arrived into LAX 56 minutes early.
-It took 66 minutes from the moment I stepped off the aircraft to the moment I was airside at TBIT once again.
-I was seated in row 11 (i.e. the front of comfort class), and walked pretty fast to immigration
-Immigration was disgusting. Just a mass of people everywhere. We arrived shortly after CX from HKG, CA/MU from TPE (can't remember), EK from DXB, BA from LHR, and a bunch of others. Foreigners was absolute carnage, probably would take 1hr+. US nationals (me) was 30mins.
-Had no checked baggage.
-Sent to the "B" lane at Customs, i.e. the we-think-you're-smuggling-drugs lane, when I told the guy I came from HKG and was going right back to HKG. Agent there asked me why I was sent there, saw my itinerary, told me i'm insane, and sent me on my way.
-Checkin at LAX was easy, no line (but again, I am *A Gold).
-Zero line at security (as TK is one of the evening's first longhaul departures).
-Spent almost 2 hours in the *A lounge.

Also something to note from the 4 TK sectors I've taken so far - TK like to scare people, a lot. At IST, they showed "flight closing" 40 minutes before scheduled departure. Similar situation at HKG and IST. Despite the fact that the BPs say that the gate closes 15 mins before.

Something else - TK FAs don't seem to care that much about safety procedures. One example - On my last IST-HKG, there was a gentleman walking through Y and Y+ from the minute he boarded to when we were almost on the runway. He sat down in at least 4 different seats and got up a minute or so later. FAs passed him multiple times and didn't say a word. Likewise, in flight once, there was someone talking to his buddy in the aisle. Seatbelt signs went on due to minor turbulence. Gentleman remained standing in the aisle, and talking. The whole time (a good 20 mins). Again, FAs passed, said nothing.
1. That's one crazy stunt that back to back routing

2. I noticed the same thing at HKG and IST last time i was flying. "final call" when there was like 45min to departure

3. I have also noticed the same thing about TK's crew not being very strict about everything.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY DWFI

[QUOTE=DWFI;16602163]Yes, I just did a back to back LAX turn a few days ago......

thank you for the great info. It takes some of the worry out for my itinerary. I am doing a same day turn in february. Did you try to check in and get your boarding pass in IST for your turn at LAX to save time? The TK website looked like it said you can print a pass if flite is under 24hours. although it sounds like you checked in the TK counter at LAX. I am trying to avoid any delays if the flite got in late. Did LAX TK have a special check in line for * Gold, if it was needed? I will be using global entry with no checked bags so maybe I can skip the B line. what rows in comfort class are the closet to the exit to give a running start? Was TK weighing the bags at any segments? Did you see any priority TSA lines for *Gold in entering TBIT? Paranoid about any delays for long lines.

In IST , coming from HKG. i might try to add a stop over in IST after leaving LAX. It sound like I would have to exit thru Immigration in IST to access a TK agent that could do this. any advice? If i cant make the change at IST does it look like they could handle a change at LAX. ... great story

Last edited by gallen5555; Jun 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Originally Posted by gallen5555
I will be using global entry with no checked bags so maybe I can skip the B line.
Just wanted to add my experience. I have global entry, and it took me probably 15 minutes tops to go from the plane to the curb waiting for the shuttle with only hand luggage. And this was slower than normal since I declared some food which got me an X on my card, although customs just waived me through. Just make sure you look for the global entry line for customs (you may have to hunt for it between the lines of people), and you should be fine. For immigration, I immediately walked up to the kiosk, and for customs, I got to jump ahead of everyone else in the queue (and they were quite long). Overall a very easy experience if you are using Global Entry.

Last edited by dyung; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Since my port of entry into the US is usually EWR or JFK, where I have never been in a line longer than 5 minutes, I didn't really even consider GE. I thought to apply 2 weeks before my trip, but the application still says "pending review"

-I didn't check in for the LAX-HKG. Considered, but had no way to print BP (zero lounge facilities at IST except bank lounges and the BA lounge - and BA just had to get rid of the Anytime Access benefit on June 17 )
There are a few hotspots to leech on to - try World near the Starbucks by the under refurbishment TK lounge or PrimeClass in the food court.

-The *A Gold line was the J line. Minor queue for Y. Can't remember if Comfort Class had its own checkin (it did in IST but not sure about LAX). Not a big deal there.
-Row 11 is the front but it doesn't make much of a difference. They close the curtain to J and make you wait so the difference between row 11 and row 20 is 2 minutes at most.
-No *A security at TBIT that I saw. I don't frequent TBIT though for obvious reasons so I'm not the right person to ask.
-I had 2 carryons (a 20" roller and a backpack), not a word was said. No problem with overhead bin space.

To be honest, with no checked bags and global entry I think you could get back airside before they could turn the plane around, so I don't think you need to be worried.

Oh, and be prepared for a challenge with the TK ticketing person. [of course, you must go landside for this which for US nationals means a $20 visa stamp]. Not a word was said about the fact that it was a TA booking, but I told her the change and she said "well, your fare is quite low, and we have to reprice the ticket..."
She started writing down some big numbers (think $3-4K), but I stoppped her. Got into an argument about what a fully flexible ticket means...
After about 10 minutes of arguing, she picked up her phone, called somewhere, and 2 minutes later said "i'll do it". Took about 20 more minutes for her to do it, but it got done in the end.
Stand your ground, and as a last resort, you can always call TK's call center repeatedly to help.

Final thought - TK is offering $200 upgrades to Comfort Class so on all sectors it was quite full.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Are there any facilities to store bags at HKG? Presumably outside security as you would get dumped land-side when arriving IST-HKG.

It would be good to take as little as possible with me to LAX and back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.