Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by bertuzzi
is anyone able to call TK before their departure to change the dates when ticket is booked via expedia?
Tried calling TK a few times and was told no - I need to contact XP (and XP requires a full reprice). However, TK was very easy to dealt with after departure.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Well, I'm not the OP, but my positioning flight LAX-HKG cost me $2.50/ticket Used UA miles for 2x C seats on AC.
Yep, same here - used miles. Saver F. Was on AC originally but switched when UA flight became available in F.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by asya999
Yep, same here - used miles. Saver F. Was on AC originally but switched when UA flight became available in F.
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for for some XF space to open up on the SFO-HKG flight on UA. I would gladly pay the two $75 change fees and 7,500 extra miles per ticket to be in F instead of AC C. I've only got 10 days at this point!
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: DL silver and UA silver
Wink The TK IST temporary lounge is for C class passengers ONLY

I had a connecting flight from IST to MAN (C class tix redeemed by BD miles) after HKG-IST Comfort Class trip. So I had a luck to stay in this temporary lounge for my 7-hour transit time. I heard many arguements near the front desk about *G or guest entries. But all were rejected by TK lounge staff.

The photo link as below is from my trip report in mandarin, post on Taiwanese aviation forum, Jadeair. It is included the detailed photos of this temporary lounge and TK C class service of IST-MAN flight. Hope you would enjoy the photos.

http://www.jadeair.com.tw/discuz/vie...extra=page%3D1

Thanks for your reading.
Hope we will see the new TK IST lounge very soon.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold 1 MM
Originally Posted by x1achilles
Thanks for the excellent trip report Shareholder!
I am also hopeful that another MRer will re-book his/her IST-LAX flight once they arrive in IST (or maybe in HKG) and report on that as I want to spend a few days in Turkey but as of now I only have 5 hours scheduled there.
Thanks Shareholder for a great trip report! On July 9, I just got off the IST-LAX flight and your trip report prepared me for the melee at the IST airport check-in and the thousands of international passengers arriving at LAX.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for for some XF space to open up on the SFO-HKG flight on UA. I would gladly pay the two $75 change fees and 7,500 extra miles per ticket to be in F instead of AC C. I've only got 10 days at this point!
I wouldn't. AC C is a great C product, especially on YVR-HKG. Although it isn't F, we're talking UA int'l F here, not CX or SQ. AC C is nicer than UA's C product, hard and soft.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Actually lots of overhead space since there are bins on both sides and two sets over the middle section. Lots of people had 22" bags so no problem. I hate the hassle of security inspection and the limited amounts of liquids one can carry onboard, so checked my bag. When I do my October MR (the full r/t) I will try to find someplace at HKG airport to check my bag until I return and need to check in for my onward flight on OZ to ICN/FRA in C/F later in the day. Or just take it on the HKG-IST and IST-LAX segments, then check it at LAX for the return when I get my boarding passes.
Thanks for the additional info. One other question on your arrival into LAX -- once you retrieved your bags, was there a long line to exit through customs? Yesterday, I arrived into LAX on LH 450, after the TK and LX flights had landed and I believe one from Asia. Although it only took me 2 minutes to get through immigration, and despite only having carry-on bags, it took me 45-50 minutes to exit from baggage claim?!? What a zoo. I'm hoping that this was an anomaly.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Shareholder

The big downer: LAX and waiting for luggage. The lines at immigration were long, but not as bad as in the morning when Pacific flights all get in. I breezed through Global Entry and arrived at the luggage carousel where I would be waiting for over an hour for the Priority bags to start coming off! It seemed like everyone in C/J and CC waited and waited and it got more and more ugly as the two TK staff tried to defend the undefendable. Whatever good one had to say about TK was pretty much negated by the too long wait as all the non-priority tagged bags kept streaming down the chute. It seems they loaded the Priority container in the wrong place and instead of being first off, it was last off!

but I still plan to write the NAmerican GM for TK as this was inexcusable!
I had the same experience yesterday and overheard 3 people complain that this has happened to them before. One person said that the next time, they're going to ask the check in agent to NOT put a Priority tag on their luggage.

I couldn't find the contact info for the N American GM for TK - if you have it, can you post it? The more people that write in and complain about this, the better chance they'll fix it

Last edited by UpperDeckJunkie; Jul 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm Reason: correction
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Had the same experience waiting for luggage Thursday,took almost an hour as my bag tagged *G came out almost last.
What was funny the crews bags were after mine ,they were more upset than any passenger.
Then came the lines to exit which were awful,another hour.
Peak season and peak time of the day at LAX.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Had the same experience waiting for luggage Thursday,took almost an hour as my bag tagged *G came out almost last.
What was funny the crews bags were after mine ,they were more upset than any passenger.
Then came the lines to exit which were awful,another hour.
Peak season and peak time of the day at LAX.
Ditto on UA PVG-LAX this weekend. Seems like it's not just a TK problem.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Unknown
Ditto on UA PVG-LAX this weekend. Seems like it's not just a TK problem.
Please don't lump the normal LAX bag delivery in with this one.

Seems to be a trend for TK at the Bradley Terminal. I found a link on the TK web site to contact them with problems. I have not yet heard back but if I don't in a couple of more days I will stop in at the TK office here in Toronto and get the GM for NAmerica's name and contact. I will post that information here...but send in your complaint to the contact On the TK site.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by DAsis
Thanks Shareholder for a great trip report! On July 9, I just got off the IST-LAX flight and your trip report prepared me for the melee at the IST airport check-in and the thousands of international passengers arriving at LAX.
You were on my flight? I kept a look-out for flyertalk luggage tags and didn't see any!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
I had the same experience yesterday and overheard 3 people complain that this has happened to them before. One person said that the next time, they're going to ask the check in agent to NOT put a Priority tag on their luggage.
Yeah, that was probably me that you heard .....ing about this. After reading about it a few days before, I forgot to ask the check-in person not to tag in Priority.

We got through immigration in 30 seconds (we both have Global Entry). When we got through (3:16pm - flight was early) the first bag just started coming on to the belt. When I left 45 minutes later, our bag still hadn't come out (I left my +1 to wait for it) and he almost missed his 5:02pm connection! (and missed luggage re-check cut-off!)

It was ridiculous. Everyone in C was also standing around annoyed...

Global Entry was a real saver in customs - there was a dedicated line for it, and there was NO ONE in it - even crew line was longer/slower!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
HKG-IST

Originally Posted by asya999
We might see you there - or we'll be a few days ahead of you.

Flying out of HKG on this itin a week from Saturday.
Flying to HKG on UA award ticket in F tomorrow

Got five days in HKG if anyone wants to recommend something... good to eat
I did HKG-IST on July 8 and IST-LAX yesterday (July 10). I think we might have missed each other.

With this trip coming on the heels of a marathon LAX-NRT/HND-GMP/ICN-PEK-HKG UA *A Y award ticket ($77.80 taxes and fees + $25 reservation fee + $75 change fee for switching to a SQ A380 nonstop + 32,500 miles), CC was a real treat.

I checked in online for HKG-IST only to discover that TK had switched from 77W to 773 as expected, and the seats were shuffled within the cabin. I kept my window seat assignment, somehow. I had to re-enter my FF#.

Since I had a Hong Kong subway Tourist Day Pass (55 HKD for unlimited use, but doesn't cover a lot of the public transit systems except Metro), I decided to ride the rails to Tsing Yi and take the Airport Express from there, which only costs 60 HKD. This option is good if you have little luggage, or have them in storage (I left mine at the airport, but there is apparently a lower-cost version at the Hong Kong station).

I regret not having enough time to wander about HKG (the airport), but by the time I got to the gate, I think they were on the verge of final calls. Three(!) different TK employees examined your boarding pass and passport. Two in the line leading up to the podium, and then the final podium check. My boarding pass was very marked up by the time I got on the aircraft.

There was a box of amenity kits on the jetway, and I picked up one of those. I later discovered these were the cream-colored Y kits.

CC was only half-full on this leg, so my seat partner moved back a couple rows for a center aisle. Food was good (scanned menu image to follow eventually), but the FA was quite rude and unfriendly in my opinion (or my opinion of her was sullied because of my exhaustion). They passed out a CC amenity kit, and slippers were available upon request (I only ended up with with a pair because my seat partner asked for them).

Seat adjustment controls seemed to be not functioning properly for me, but I didn't honestly care enough to make a fuss about it. I was asleep almost instantly and a great sleep on the flight. Didn't mess with the IFE.

Flight arrived into IST 1h04m early. One of the last to check in, so my bag was one of the first coming out. Tried negotiating with the TK Hotel Desk to get me on the city tour, but failed. No boarding pass in hand (connecting time was about 30 hours), no tour.

IST-LAX report to come sometime in the near future. Also, pictures!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: SK EBD, TG*G
Originally Posted by tangoll
Unknown, as I can see from this TG chart about their Royal Orchid FF progam

http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...odes-chart.htm

U class fare on TK only earns 25% mileage on TG ROP program.

Am I looking at the right chart or is there some other rule that I am missing? I would like to credit miles to my ROP account but not at only 25%. I think it was Greenforest who suggest LH at 150% accrual for TK flights.
The chart has been updated and U class should now earn you 100% in TG ROP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.