Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Old May 29, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: United, SQ
There's rumor that the lounge renovation will run well into July; I will be in IST (different trip)on June 28 and July 5, I'm not very optimistic but will update!
Old May 29, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
Originally Posted by CelticIAH
There's rumor that the lounge renovation will run well into July; I will be in IST (different trip)on June 28 and July 5, I'm not very optimistic but will update!
Thank God I'm flying in late September
Anyway, is it clever to think about a short trip to downtown Istanbul?
Besides that I arrive 5:25am / 5:10pm.

Last edited by unblack; May 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm
Old May 29, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Great, I fly in mid-July. Lounge closed. No alternatives for comfort plus passengers. Now what are my options for a shower? I'll look at a day rate for a nearby hotel.
Old May 29, 2011, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You can certainly make it to the city and back during the 5+ hours layover ... but I dunno if its worth it.
Old May 29, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by huntk
Great, I fly in mid-July. Lounge closed. No alternatives for comfort plus passengers. Now what are my options for a shower? I'll look at a day rate for a nearby hotel.
http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...portHotel.aspx

Doesn't look cheap though, but not far from Terminal :P

Also look here for Lounges in the Airport

http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...eServices.aspx

Sorry i don't know much about the airport but just pulled it straight from the site.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: United, SQ
Originally Posted by huntk
Again, some say it will be open late July - some say late June...who knows?! I would imagine it will become more clear in the next couple of weeks, just keep an eye on the lounge refurb thread on the TK board.

Good luck!
Old May 29, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will fortunate that I decided to do a layover on the first leg, if the lounge is not open by the 16th of July.
Old May 29, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can certainly make it to the city and back during the 5+ hours layover ... but I dunno if its worth it.
Turkish Airlines apparently gives free city tours of Istanbul for international transit passengers. More information here: http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
Old May 29, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by ianmanka
Turkish Airlines apparently gives free city tours of Istanbul for international transit passengers. More information here: http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
I may end doing one of these on one of the days I visit IST, looks rather good!
Old May 29, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
They also give you a hotel if your layover is forced, and is longer than (10 hours Y, 7 hours J)

So for example if you arrived from HKG at 5am, and there was no flight to LAX that day, it would be a forced layover until 11am next day - and they would pick up the hotel.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Too bad, our layover going west is a bit too short and not timed right for these. Says you need a minimum of 6 hours, and the tours are from 0900-1500.

Looks like public transport out of the airport is good though, a self guided tour to a few of the same places would be possible for sure.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
AC seems like a good bet. I got my positioning flights for 2 pax in C on miles on AC LAX-YVR-HKG.
Nice! Definitely good use of miles in my opinion.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
They also give you a hotel if your layover is forced, and is longer than (10 hours Y, 7 hours J)

So for example if you arrived from HKG at 5am, and there was no flight to LAX that day, it would be a forced layover until 11am next day - and they would pick up the hotel.
I'm going to be betraying my ignorance here, but since the TK71 (HKG-IST) is daily, how would you claim a forced layover? I have had had airlines provide transit accoms when traveling between two cities that had odd frequencies and same-day transit was impossible. In this case, it is possible, just not on all days.

Doesn't that make any transit of more than five hours voluntary by definition?

Edit: Here's a link from the TK website about hotel provision:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-US...omodation.aspx

According to that page, layovers over 24h are considered "stopovers" and not eligible for hotels?

Last edited by YYZC2; May 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm
Old May 29, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.756MM, WN ALP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC,AA Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Nice! Definitely good use of miles in my opinion.
And only needing a one way made it even more economical! Around the world in C and Y+ for 62,500 miles and $430 each
Old May 29, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I'm going to be betraying my ignorance here, but since the TK71 (HKG-IST) is daily, how would you claim a forced layover? I have had had airlines provide transit accoms when traveling between two cities that had odd frequencies and same-day transit was impossible. In this case, it is possible, just not on all days.

Doesn't that make any transit of more than five hours voluntary by definition?

Edit: Here's a link from the TK website about hotel provision:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-US...omodation.aspx

According to that page, layovers over 24h are considered "stopovers" and not eligible for hotels?
I would think that this mistake fare would not qualify for transit accommodation. And if you were given transit accommodation, you could not receive the Istanbul city tour. As their FAQ says:

Your both flights should be with Turkish Airlines' flight numbers (codeshared or operated) and your connection should not be longer than 24 hours. Passengers may not get both accomodation service and Touristanbul on the same journey.
I intentionally planned an extra day in Istanbul, so it looks like I'll be able to get the tour, and then I'll be returned to the airport. From there, I'll arrange my own transportation to a hotel for the night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.