Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by CelticIAH
Wouldn't count on them to change a discounted economy to earn 150%....I'm more worried about them changing A fare back to 100%, which is much more likely!
CO/UA are aware of the booking code changes.

As we all know now, U used to be Discount Economy and A used to be First Class. You can expect both Mileage Plus and OnePass to be updating this very soon. On other airlines offering Premium Economy, it earns the same as a Y fare, so that will likely be 100%RDM/100%EQM on UA and 100%RDM/150%EQM on CO.

Actually looks like UA MP gives more than 100% EQMs on very very few *A premium and full fares... only on UA, CO, US, AC, NH, and LH (premium only, not full economy). Currently at least CO OP is much better for EQM earning on other *A carriers on higher fares.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: DL silver and UA silver
Red face Downgrade compensation (Comfort->Y) 225 Euro!

From this China-based flight forum's trip report (in Simplified Chinese characters)
http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/533/5338451.html

This passenger was downgraded from Comfort (A class) to Economy at PEK for the aircraft change, and he and his colleage were provided a voucher cost 225 Euro for next TK airticket purchase or 112.5 Euro cash.

Fortuantely, both of them were upgraded to Business class at the gate and it seemed other Comfort passengers had the same upgrade. They decided to give up the voucher for this upgrade.

Their trip details: May 21, TK 021, PEK to IST, "non-mistake" fare A class ticket.

Hope this trip report can give us some ideas what might be happened when we check-in at HKG.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
So if it happens more than once, we're flying for free? Lol.
I don't care about a silly voucher, give me a flat seat.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.756MM, WN ALP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC,AA Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
CO/UA are aware of the booking code changes.

As we all know now, U used to be Discount Economy and A used to be First Class. You can expect both Mileage Plus and OnePass to be updating this very soon. On other airlines offering Premium Economy, it earns the same as a Y fare, so that will likely be 100%RDM/100%EQM on UA and 100%RDM/150%EQM on CO.

Actually looks like UA MP gives more than 100% EQMs on very very few *A premium and full fares... only on UA, CO, US, AC, NH, and LH (premium only, not full economy). Currently at least CO OP is much better for EQM earning on other *A carriers on higher fares.
Well, if they are aware, they are not stating that they are aware. I emailed OnePass (tried emailing United, but they never responded) and I got this:

Dear Mr. jasonvr:

Thank you for contacting the OnePass Service Center.

At this time, OnePass has not been notified of updated fare classes from Turkish Airlines. Until we our notified we must abide by our current contractual agreement with our partner, including honoring our partner's decision to exclude certain fares from earning additional OnePass miles.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Well, if they are aware, they are not stating that they are aware. I emailed OnePass (tried emailing United, but they never responded) and I got this:
I agree, OnePass Service Center gave me a very similarly useless response. The info I got came from above them.

As for United, on the U fare, it wouldn't matter anyway since UA MP doesn't have bonus EQMs for full fares or premium fares on TK.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.756MM, WN ALP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC,AA Gold
I agree, OnePass Service Center gave me a very similarly useless response. The info I got came from above them.

As for United, on the U fare, it wouldn't matter anyway since UA MP doesn't have bonus EQMs for full fares or premium fares on TK.
Agree, but if CO will give me an EQM bonus for my U fare, you can bet that I will be removing my UA number and adding in my CO number. Since I have combined my accounts, all I care about is where will credit the most EQMs
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
My experience

I recently completed my trip on this fare (thanks OP!), and wanted to share my experiences.

I booked a OW using Expedia going HKG-IST (stopover) IST-LAX. The fare was booked using Expedia multi-city and was booked using the A booking code. Checkin at HKG was a breeze, and as a *G I was told I could use either the UA or TG lounges.

On HKG-IST the flight was roughly 50% full in Y+ I would estimate. The seats were quite like the old UA C seats as saaws described. They also gave a nice amenity kit and slippers to Y+ passengers. Service was okay, and the food was passable. There was a choice between fish or pasta and I opted for fish as it was the "Asian" meal and I figured ex-HKG it would be better. Tried it, but it wasn't really to my liking.

My IST-LAX flight was a few days later, and this time it was probably 90% full in Y+. This included quite a few buy-ups to Y+ from what I heard around the cabin. Seats were again the same, as were the amenity kits and slippers. Service was good on this route I felt, and the catering was very good as it was the Turkish Do&Co which provided it (the same company that caters for OS). Arrival was to the TBIT in LAX and entry with global entry is a breeze (there are priority lines for both immigration and customs).

I credited both flights to CO, and just as it was described in their charts, I got 150% EQM And 125% RDM credits for the flights. From these flights I got 17,802 EQMs, 3 EQP, and 14,836 RDMs. Not too bad for a $400 flight in Y+. ^

Overall I enjoyed flying with TK and would definitely do it again if given the chance. My biggest regret is just not booking more of these flights!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=dyung;16494149...From these flights I got 17,802 EQMs, 3 EQP, and 14,836 RDMs. Not too bad for a $400 flight in Y+...[/QUOTE]
Whoa! I wish all my flights were A fare -- I'd end up with almost 90K EQM if they were.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by dyung
I credited both flights to CO, and just as it was described in their charts, I got 150% EQM And 125% RDM credits for the flights. From these flights I got 17,802 EQMs, 3 EQP, and 14,836 RDMs. Not too bad for a $400 flight in Y+. ^
Nice! I was thinking of doing a trip in June or July just to make sure that I could get the A class. I'm hoping my one way trip in October will still have it. I'm not holding my breath though. I ended up booking a roundtrip in U class for late August, with a return in October to complete my one way in A class.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:27 pm

I sent an email to TK as well to see if they can push it from their side.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dyung
I booked a OW using Expedia going HKG-IST (stopover) IST-LAX. The fare was booked using Expedia multi-city and was booked using the A booking code.
Curious, how did you know that your fare was booked in A (as opposed to U) if you booked on Expedia?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:11 pm

Agree, but if CO will give me an EQM bonus for my U fare, you can bet that I will be removing my UA number and adding in my CO number. Since I have combined my accounts, all I care about is where will credit the most EQMs
Hi,

Does anyone know how to accomplish that, meaning,

- how to remove your Mileage Plus number and add a Continental number (for those of us who don't have a Continental frequent flyer account, I am assuming we will have to sign-up for one first)
- and then how to combine the earnings in Contiental to get reflected in United Mileage Plus so as to get the 50% EQM bonus.
Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Montreal
Hi,

Does anyone know how to accomplish that, meaning,

- how to remove your Mileage Plus number and add a Continental number (for those of us who don't have a Continental frequent flyer account, I am assuming we will have to sign-up for one first)
- and then how to combine the earnings in Contiental to get reflected in United Mileage Plus so as to get the 50% EQM bonus.
Thanks.
1) Sign up for a CO account if you don't have one
2) I'm assuming you'd have to call TK to change the FF number attached to it. They have offices in the US, so I'd probably just call one of those numbers. They also have US based email addresses that I have gotten good responses from, so maybe you could email instead.
3) See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html

Edit: Just noticed you are in Canada. TK has a ticket office listed in Toronto, so that might be the best bet for you.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Curious, how did you know that your fare was booked in A (as opposed to U) if you booked on Expedia?
Go to your trip on Expedia and click the "rules and restrictions" link. Look at the "Fare Basis Code" If it starts with an A, you have and A fare. If it starts with a U (like my U2OWHK), you have a U fare.

The same thing can be done during the booking process since they have a link to the rules there as well.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Go to your trip on Expedia and click the "rules and restrictions" link. Look at the "Fare Basis Code" If it starts with an A, you have and A fare. If it starts with a U (like my U2OWHK), you have a U fare.

The same thing can be done during the booking process since they have a link to the rules there as well.
Or go to THY.com and look up your eTicket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.