Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

(FARE GONE) TK: HKG-IST-LAX $802 ai rt 2.4 cpm (Premium Econ)

Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Santander
Just a warning for those of you who haven't been to IST before... fuel prices are insane.
Welcome to Europe (gas-price-wise)!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by portishead
I should've booked all one-ways to get the A fares, as I'm using this to re-qual for 1K.
Nice on the EQM! I'm holding out hope for my October return. I think the A fares were only available for one-ways coming back from HKG. If not for that a lot more people would have been in on this deal! And there seems to be a good number already. ^

Just a warning for those of you who haven't been to IST before... fuel prices are insane. I mean that it will cost you over $100 (not TL) to fill something like a Peugeot 206 which is what I'm driving. Think twice before renting!
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking of road tripping some on the coast. I'll probably have to reconsider.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
is it over 1.5EUR/Liter for petrol?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Same thing happened to me (although my new price was $1700).

Santander - did you just get super luck, or what?
I guess so. I was among the first to call, so I was biting my nails for a couple of weeks!

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Welcome to Europe (gas-price-wise)!
Originally Posted by kaka
is it over 1.5EUR/Liter for petrol?
Petrol is over 1.8/L, diesel is a bit cheaper. I know European petrol prices are bad, but seeing the receipt nearly gave me a heart attack! I guess it keeps cars off the already overcrowded and narrow streets.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
I guess so. I was among the first to call, so I was biting my nails for a couple of weeks!
I was thinking of changing my Feb date... Oh well...
The last thing I want is biting my nails for the next 9 months!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.756MM, WN ALP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC,AA Gold
For those that are interested, I emailed TK about earnings for Comfort Class on other airlines. I had previously emailed Continental and they told me that they had not yet been informed by TK up the updated fare classes. So, I emailed TK hoping they could push it from their side.

Unfortunately, I think due to a language barrier, they didn't understand my question and thought I was referring to redeeming miles for a seat in Comfort class.

I have written a response which is hopefully clear enough to get my question answered. I included information on earnings on various airlines (with links), including the fact that UA and CO both still consider U Discount Economy and A as First.

Interestingly, both AC and M&M have updated. AC, as noted before, give a paltry 10% bonus whereas M&M provides 50%!

http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...urkishAirlines
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002

Hopefully I will get a more useful response from this email.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by jasonvr
...I included information on earnings on various airlines (with links), including the fact that UA and CO both still consider U Discount Economy and A as First.

Interestingly, both AC and M&M have updated. AC, as noted before, give a paltry 10% bonus whereas M&M provides 50%!

http://www2.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...urkishAirlines
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002
Actually quite a few Star carriers have updated A and U already, just that unfortunately getting a bonus on full fare Y or Premium Economy is not as common outside North American based programs. Only a few outside North America seem to have it.

http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...miles/#TURKISH
http://www.airnewzealand.co.jp/star-...rkish-airlines
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/as...ght/tk/tk.html
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loya...s/flights.aspx
http://www.egyptairplus.com/CraneJSP/star_class.html
http://www.flysas.com/en/us/EuroBonu...kish-Airlines/
http://www.tapvictoria.com/en/ThePro...ectConditions/
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:51 pm

I'm surprised A3 doesn't give a penalty for flying TK!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
I'm surprised A3 doesn't give a penalty for flying TK!
Well, the Turkish Airways employee in HKG could not find A3 anywhere in their system- claimed that it wasn't a *A carrier, so I had to change to my UA number. So I guess it works both ways!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:43 pm

Success with (Turkey?) call center

Originally Posted by nov11
Called TK to make a change to the IST-LAX but was told that they cannot touch the itinerary as my trip has not begun (and informed me that there are no penalties for the rebooking).
It took me two tries to the US 800 call center (which, considering the accent of the agent, was apparently routed to Istanbul), but managed to change my outbound and stopover dates with no penalty. I checked the ticket on the TK website and it reflects the new dates! ^

The first time I called, I was told Expedia would have to make the change, so I just waited a few and tried again. That time, aside from some language challenges, the agent processed it no questions asked.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by portishead
I took the June 4-5 flights (HKG-IST-LAX), and they have now posted to my CO account on June 8.

As previously reported, CO did give EQM and RDM bonuses for my "A" fare.

14836 RDM and 17802 EQM total for the 2 TK segments

Does anyone have feedback on the "U" fares? I believe CO and UA gives 100%/100%, is this true?

I should've booked all one-ways to get the A fares, as I'm using this to re-qual for 1K.
Has anyone booked an A fare on this deal, credited the flight to their UA MP account, and seen the miles post? Wondering if UA is giving 150% RDM for A fares.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Has anyone booked an A fare on this deal, credited the flight to their UA MP account, and seen the miles post? Wondering if UA is giving 150% RDM for A fares.
See post #756. Saaws reported 150% RDM for an A fare credited to MP.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:56 am

I am in the HKG RCC again (I'm really starting to like this place) waiting for my AC flight back home now after completing the HKG-IST-LAX-IST-HKG flights. Unfortunately, I won't be staying in HKG for a couple of days as I would have liked because something came up back home which I have to go to. I'm going to be stuck in Y but it sure beats UA....

I'll sum up a few things about my experience doing the four segments in Comfort Class:
  • Cabins are usually pretty quiet, more like a C atmosphere instead of Y.
  • IFE is not very well organised, but there is good selection.
  • Priority boarding for *G is usually non-existent, but Comfort Class are usually invited to board at the same time as C.
  • The seats are manually controlled, and the metal footrest in particular is annoying to adjust.
  • Seats are not so good for sleeping as I thought they would be, but better than Y.
  • Comfort Class cabin is located near the massive engines on the 77W so it's hard to avoid engine noise.
  • Maybe I just ate it too often, but I started to enjoy the meals less and less by the end. I didn't touch a piece of cheese or olive on my last flight, there's just way too much of that in Turkey for my tastes.
  • Amenity kits are good, you sometimes get both the Economy and Comfort class kits.

Overall, I had a good experience, they were definitely the most comfortable and most peaceful $800 longhauls I've ever flown.

I would not recommend staying in IST (the airport) for longer than necessary. My experiences there rank among such terrible airports as SVO, CDG, LAX and ORD. Absolutely nothing to do, lounges suck, only one smoking area which is always crowded, no decent food and there's always way too many planes. When I left on my IST-HKG flight, there were departing planes lined up from the runway all the way to the apron; there were more planes on that one taxiway than all of the gates.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
It took me two tries to the US 800 call center (which, considering the accent of the agent, was apparently routed to Istanbul), but managed to change my outbound and stopover dates with no penalty. I checked the ticket on the TK website and it reflects the new dates! ^

The first time I called, I was told Expedia would have to make the change, so I just waited a few and tried again. That time, aside from some language challenges, the agent processed it no questions asked.
You booked from Expedia and managed to get the outbound date changed through TK directly?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr

Wow, you're super lucky. I have been told no 4 times now...

What did you say/do? Just simply asked to change dates, and they said "sure, no problem."???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.