Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobS
NW ran two class Electra's and 727s for years on CLE-DCA
I always wondered why NW seemed to have so many gates in CLE (when I arrived here in 2005) with the DTW hub just across the lake
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I always wondered why NW seemed to have so many gates in CLE (when I arrived here in 2005) with the DTW hub just across the lake
DTW was basically just a focus city for NWA before their merger with Republic in 1986 (what an operational disaster that was!). I honestly can't recall where NWA's gates were at CLE.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
DTW was basically just a focus city for NWA before their merger with Republic in 1986 (what an operational disaster that was!). I honestly can't recall where NWA's gates were at CLE.
They had IIRC the first 4 gates on the even side of C -- where JetBlue is now (what is that C4/6/8/10... But it always seemed excessive to the schedule they ran out of CLE even though it was a partner hub -- and they had some other infrastructure (like old B&W CRT FIDS arrivals/departures screens facing the jetways) that seemed odd for a small outstation... Figured there was more to the NW/CLE story than just a few DTW/MSP (MEM?) turns... At some point after I was settled in CLE they turned C10 over to CO which is the reason in the era of the plywood-and-laminate gate furniture era it had a completely different dot matrix display behind the podium than any of the other CO gates in CLE (being much closer to the displays used at IAH)
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RobS
NW ran two class Electra's and 727s for years on CLE-DCA
I should have specified... first time that I can remember since I started flying more frequently (~2011)!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:42 am
RNE

I recall the oft-opined metaphysical certitude that NW and CO would merge and CLE's hub would go bye-bye.

RNE, saying, right scenario; wrong merger.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA US
It went back to ancient history when the glacially-slow Civil Aeronautics Board finally awarded competing routes in 1965 or '66 (I forget which) for CLE-ORD, CLE-NYC, and CLE-PHL, which became monopolies in 1961 when UA and CA merged. With monopoly status UA ran lots of clapped-out old DC-6s and first-class-only Caravelles from CLE offering only the occasional coach flight on a few 4-engined jets a day.

NW was awarded CLE-ORD and PHL, while AA got CLE-NYC. NW already had WAS, PIT, DTW, MKE, MSP and points west authority. With the new routes NW grew to about 40 dailies and used 4-5 gates, then at the east end of Concourse A. Right up until deregulation NW offered a very competitive schedule; after dereg they were at a disadvantage to the growing UA CLE hub and slowly reduced their schedule.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:17 pm

Airspace is closing as of 1/31/2020. I was told after then they will be renovating/expanding the area and a PP lounge will open a few months later, probably a good sign to entice any further flights that are international and need a partner lounge (not WOW).
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:10 pm

They had IIRC the first 4 gates on the even side of C -- where JetBlue is now (what is that C4/6/8/10... But it always seemed excessive to the schedule they ran out of CLE even though it was a partner hub -- and they had some other infrastructure (like old B&W CRT FIDS arrivals/departures screens facing the jetways) that seemed odd for a small outstation... Figured there was more to the NW/CLE story than just a few DTW/MSP (MEM?) turns... At some point after I was settled in CLE they turned C10 over to CO which is the reason in the era of the plywood-and-laminate gate furniture era it had a completely different dot matrix display behind the podium than any of the other CO gates in CLE (being much closer to the displays used at IAH)
Until the 1980's NW had a decent-sized operation at CLE and had up to 6 gates on the former South (now C) Concourse (gates 41, 43, 45, 47, 49, and 57 on the banjo). I don't think they ever really needed that many gates as they had about 20 daily flights and ran multiple daily DC-10's, too. There was also an old NW club there between the only gates 41 & 43, although I can't recall the exact timeline of its operation.

Here's a terminal map from1975: CLE75
lincolnjkc and RNE like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
More bad news from UA incoming
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
More bad news from UA incoming
What does that mean?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
What does that mean?
As rumored, UA is cutting CLE-LGA and CLE-DCA:

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...-national.html
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by guy44134

Some of the comments on that site are mind-boggling.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by guy44134

I would imagine that ExpressJet will be closing up shop (maintenance and crew bases) in CLE since LGA & DCA were their last major routes ex-CLE other than a few flights daily to ORD and EWR.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I would imagine that ExpressJet will be closing up shop (maintenance and crew bases) in CLE since LGA & DCA were their last major routes ex-CLE other than a few flights daily to ORD and EWR.
I'm not sure ExpressJet will close though I suppose there's a good chance it will. They are flying some E175s based at CLE now, none of which are used for LGA or DCA flights.

ETA: I'd like this spokesperson to explain how there will be more "premium seats". For March 30, four of UA's seven flights to EWR are operated with 50-seat E145s. The last two-class aircraft leaves CLE for EWR at 9:10 AM. That cynically suggests to me they are simply getting those 737s back out ASAP in the morning after their overnight maintenance stop.

As for IAD, only the first departure is a mainline... the other three are Mesa CRJ700s with their whopping six seats in F.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jan 17, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by plinth857
Some of the comments on that site are mind-boggling.
Maybe someone else will pick up the slack. Fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.