Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:08 pm
RNE

Despite UA's purported intent to make up for traffic losses to DCA and LGA by beefing it up to nearby airports, that is a dubious prospect at best. (I know my outings to NYC will cease on UA; I'm not dealing with EWR to get there.) With fewer UA pax at CLE, the need for a United Club comes into question (again). Yes, yes, I hear your dogma: UA will keep a club at CLE because it has them at lesser airports. That refrain rings hollow anymore.

RNE, pointing out that CLE isn't important enough to have Sky or Admirals Clubs, why still a United Club?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by RNE
Despite UA's purported intent to make up for traffic losses to DCA and LGA by beefing it up to nearby airports, that is a dubious prospect at best. (I know my outings to NYC will cease on UA; I'm not dealing with EWR to get there.) With fewer UA pax at CLE, the need for a United Club comes into question (again). Yes, yes, I hear your dogma: UA will keep a club at CLE because it has them at lesser airports. That refrain rings hollow anymore.

RNE, pointing out that CLE isn't important enough to have Sky or Admirals Clubs, why still a United Club?

The club is the original Presidents Club was built as CO developed the hub. Not very busy these days used to be packed. Remember the very small club UA had when they moved to the B concourse when they closed the hub after 1986. It was very very small. UA only served ORD and IAD DEN was cut but latter reinstated.
If they keep cutting flights will make the club less crowded and new rules prohibit non UA flyers into the club.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by RNE

Because UA still serves over 2.5 million passengers a year and is still growing (ever so slightly), and it serves almost a million more than the new #2 at CLE, Delta. CLE also still has a huge number of UA frequent flyers. I just don't see the UA Club going anywhere soon. Here is more detailed breakdown of 2019's passenger numbers.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...t-in-2019.html
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guy44134
Because UA still serves over 2.5 million passengers a year and is still growing (ever so slightly), and it serves almost a million more than the new #2 at CLE, Delta. CLE also still has a huge number of UA frequent flyers. I just don't see the UA Club going anywhere soon. Here is more detailed breakdown of 2019's passenger numbers.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...t-in-2019.html
I generally agree, but based on how sparse the club has been during my trips since January 1 I'm more than a little nervous about the long term prospects. I do wonder/hope that if the time came to drop the CLE club rather than a full retreat UA would consider a hybrid approach similar to what (I've read) is used for the AA club in SAN -- it's a bit of a hybrid/contract lounge where AA has agent(s) to provide assistance for IROPS, etc., but the club itself is run by an 3rd party who handles admissions, food and beverage, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:40 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Because UA still serves over 2.5 million passengers a year...
How few of them are eligible to enter the Club? How few connect anymore? Raw passenger count is a poor predictor of the need for a Club.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
How few of them are eligible to enter the Club? How few connect anymore? Raw passenger count is a poor predictor of the need for a Club.
Connecting is also not a great indicator... of course the club is valuable at a connection point if it's a long connection (and doubly so if irregular operations) but most of my club time is at the origin end of the trip.

Anyone flying UA who has *G status from any airline but UA is eligible
Anyone flying INTL premium cabin on UA or *A airline is eligible
UA Club members are eligible
UA Club card holders are eligible
UA Explorer card members get a handful of annual passes
Anyone flying UA who went for the "trip pass" bundle at booking
Anyone flying UA who wants to pay out for the day pass at the front door
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moops380
Airspace is closing as of 1/31/2020. I was told after then they will be renovating/expanding the area and a PP lounge will open a few months later, probably a good sign to entice any further flights that are international and need a partner lounge (not WOW).

Staff are saying that the same space (roughly) will be a Priority pass lounge set to open in June.

Bummer losing UA club access on non-UA flights now this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by AceReport

Staff are saying that the same space (roughly) will be a Priority pass lounge set to open in June.

Bummer losing UA club access on non-UA flights now this.
At the risk of being too pedantic... UC members have access on same day UA AND AC flights.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
I think it still gets a lot of traffic. I'm in there almost weekly and there's a decent amount of people. Is it packed to the gills like those at ORD or EWR? No. But I think it's a good decision to keep it. Personally, if they close the CLE club, I'll cancel my membership.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:39 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Connecting is also not a great indicator... of course the club is valuable at a connection point if it's a long connection (and doubly so if irregular operations) but most of my club time is at the origin end of the trip.

Anyone flying UA who has *G status from any airline but UA is eligible
Anyone flying INTL premium cabin on UA or *A airline is eligible
UA Club members are eligible
UA Club card holders are eligible
UA Explorer card members get a handful of annual passes
Anyone flying UA who went for the "trip pass" bundle at booking
Anyone flying UA who wants to pay out for the day pass at the front door
Correct. Very few passengers.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Correct. Very few passengers.
How many times were you in the CLE UC in the past 12 months?
lincolnjkc and mrmoo like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:08 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How many times were you in the CLE UC in the past 12 months?
Not often enough to blame me for all the cracker crumbs on the seats, if that's what you're getting at.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Not often enough to blame me for all the cracker crumbs on the seats, if that's what you're getting at.
Wait a minute... you said hardly anyone goes in the CLE UC. How could there be any cracker crumbs then?
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Wait a minute... you said hardly anyone goes in the CLE UC. How could there be any cracker crumbs then?
The "RNE" Cracker Monster!

David
RNE likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:16 am

A few CLE items in the news:

Airspace Lounge closed last week, a new Priority Pass lounge is likely on its way for summer: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...this-week.html

JobsOhio creates a $4 million fund to promote air service in Ohio: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...d-hopkins.html

Hopkins' customer service scores continue to improve: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ce-scores.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.