Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by RNE
So what's the wisdom, fellow UA flyers, on getting to LAS from CLE nowadays? Are you connecting on UA or taking another carrier? Experiences, please.
Funny you should mention that, I was just looking to book CLE-LAS for a business trip in December and couldn't believe UA has zero nonstops now.

Since I have to depart CLE in the morning, it'll be UA thru ORD or DEN (probably DEN). IAH adds an extra hour to the journey, but winter weather shouldn't be an issue...

On the return LAS-CLE I'm looking at the nonstop redeye on Spirit (in a Big Front Seat or exit row), or Frontier (in a Stretch seat, preferably a mid cabin exit row on their A321 with the unlimited legroom). I've taken both to RSW a handful of times and it's not really that bad. Planes are new and clean. Disclaimer: I've never sat in either airline's standard coach seat which do look rather painful.
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:20 pm

Anyone know if F9 is discontinuing direct service to AUS? It seems to be off the schedule after today.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by KeithVertrees
Anyone know if F9 is discontinuing direct service to AUS? It seems to be off the schedule after today.
According to the CLE website, the route is seasonal, although I don't recall them saying that when announced earlier this year:

https://www.clevelandairport.com/austin
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
it's been a while since we've had an old fashioned broken escalator

not to worry

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Sidebar: What's the status on the long-term parking? Are the display numbers for open spots still wonky?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Having CLEAR this past Monday morning was fantastic. (first business day after thanksgiving weekend). I arrived at the checkpoint with a co-worker who has TSA Pre. I breezed right through Clear, and then waited a good 20 minutes for her to make it through.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Sidebar: What's the status on the long-term parking? Are the display numbers for open spots still wonky?
Parking availability has been either 100% wide open or 100% full with very few stops in-between, IME, since they tore down the long-term garage. A while ago I gave up trying to park at the airport unless I'm picking someone up on a Sunday and just use Park Place off Snow
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Was on CLE-RSW flight on the 5th, was the second day of the seasonal flight, which the agent announced and said “we’re happy to have it back this season.” Great flight, got upgraded as a gold at T-36ish and due to a tailwind landed about 45 min early.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Looks like there is a United flight CLE-LAS on Jan 6. UA2314. Assuming CES related.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
Looks like there is a United flight CLE-LAS on Jan 6. UA2314. Assuming CES related.
Likewise UA2405 LAS-CLE on that Friday (red eye). I always figured the CLE-LAS service would last. It's a popular business and leisure destination and, aside from WN, not served by any reasonable carriers. If CLE-MCO can stick around, why not CLE-LAS?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by mrmoo
Likewise UA2405 LAS-CLE on that Friday (red eye). I always figured the CLE-LAS service would last. It's a popular business and leisure destination and, aside from WN, not served by any reasonable carriers. If CLE-MCO can stick around, why not CLE-LAS?
MCO:
  • UA has a GSA City Pair contract for CLE-MCO for government travelers (award based on nonstop service)
  • You can actually connect to some smaller destinations via Silver
  • A fairly consistent family demand for the theme parks and snow birds
  • Significant UA MX base to rotate aircraft and parts between
  • etc.

LAS
  • UA has a GSA City Pair Contract for CLE-LAS based on connecting service
  • AFAIK no real connection opportunities that don't have equal/better service from UA hubs
  • Traffic tends to be low yielding aside from sporadic trade show demand (and even with tradeshows for a more mundane tradeshow I wonder how many attendees originate CLE... and I've avoided the red-eye in favor of a connection coming back from LAS trade shows)
  • UA MX is a limited presence (UA lists Cleveland and Orlando as "major" maintenance locations in addition to the hubs... nothing for LAS)
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mrmoo
I go to LAS two or maybe three times per year for various business reasons. One of the times earlier this year or maybe late 2018, a ticket agent checking me in and tagging my bag mentioned, out of the blue, that they can't believe they no longer have a nonstop flight to CLE. She mentioned they are always checking in quite a few people bound for CLE.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I go to LAS two or maybe three times per year for various business reasons. One of the times earlier this year or maybe late 2018, a ticket agent checking me in and tagging my bag mentioned, out of the blue, that they can't believe they no longer have a nonstop flight to CLE. She mentioned they are always checking in quite a few people bound for CLE.
One possibility is for lack of a better term, temporal adjacency. It's one thing to have quite a few people to CLE but if you have 100 people a day but 25 of them want to go early morning, 25 noon, 25 afternoon, and 25 late evening combined with the typical nonstop premium it's going to be hard to sell 75 of them "Fly nonstop at midnight and pay 15% more" vs "Fly when you want and lose 45 minutes in a connection" -- and 25 people generally don't make for a profitable flight... [Or maybe I'm just too old and curmudgeony to accept a red eye flight if I don't have to]

And with Frontier offering $100 round trip on a random set of dates in January (8p departure from CLE, 6a arrival back to CLE) it doesn't seem UA is leaving money on the table. Assuming none of that was taxes/government fees that yields $0.0274/per mile. Based on the latest number I could quickly Google UA's domestic yield per RPM is $0.1404 -- or around 5-6 times what CLE-LAS seems to yield. Without significant strategic advantages to offset either end (e.g. no onward connections to sell, business subsiding the route, aircraft/crew/maintenance rotation considerations etc.) I don't think its that surprising.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
One possibility is for lack of a better term, temporal adjacency. It's one thing to have quite a few people to CLE but if you have 100 people a day but 25 of them want to go early morning, 25 noon, 25 afternoon, and 25 late evening combined with the typical nonstop premium it's going to be hard to sell 75 of them "Fly nonstop at midnight and pay 15% more" vs "Fly when you want and lose 45 minutes in a connection" -- and 25 people generally don't make for a profitable flight... [Or maybe I'm just too old and curmudgeony to accept a red eye flight if I don't have to]

And with Frontier offering $100 round trip on a random set of dates in January (8p departure from CLE, 6a arrival back to CLE) it doesn't seem UA is leaving money on the table. Assuming none of that was taxes/government fees that yields $0.0274/per mile. Based on the latest number I could quickly Google UA's domestic yield per RPM is $0.1404 -- or around 5-6 times what CLE-LAS seems to yield. Without significant strategic advantages to offset either end (e.g. no onward connections to sell, business subsiding the route, aircraft/crew/maintenance rotation considerations etc.) I don't think its that surprising.
I understand what you're saying and the flight time question is a good one. I will say, though, that despite whatever Frontier might be charging on any given day, this UA agent says they're still checking in a lot of people bound for CLE and I know I've never paid less than a several hundred bucks. Now maybe everyone else is paying quite a bit less than me but I kind of doubt that.

Maybe UA and other airlines simply think of LAS as a cheap tourist destination and leave it at that.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I understand what you're saying and the flight time question is a good one. I will say, though, that despite whatever Frontier might be charging on any given day, this UA agent says they're still checking in a lot of people bound for CLE and I know I've never paid less than a several hundred bucks. Now maybe everyone else is paying quite a bit less than me but I kind of doubt that.

Maybe UA and other airlines simply think of LAS as a cheap tourist destination and leave it at that.
That is kind of my thought process. I would think there would be value in the flight. Perhaps not enough to fill a 737, but with ExpressJet operating a base here, maybe an E-175? There is a lot of traffic even with the competition. Interesting that a GA in LAS mentioned it before one in CLE where there would be more nostalgia for the hub days of yore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.