Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by guy44134
Airspace Lounge closed last week, a new Priority Pass lounge is likely on its way for summer: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...this-week.html
I liked the Airspace lounge. I used to use it whenever I flew WN, which was quite frequently two years ago. It was always quiet. I suspect that a PriorityPass lounge will generate more traffic due to the proliferation of credit cards that give it away. That said, it's a very small space and I'd be concerned it would get crowded. Time will tell, I suppose.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrmoo
I liked the Airspace lounge. I used to use it whenever I flew WN, which was quite frequently two years ago. It was always quiet. I suspect that a PriorityPass lounge will generate more traffic due to the proliferation of credit cards that give it away. That said, it's a very small space and I'd be concerned it would get crowded. Time will tell, I suppose.
Prior to closing the staff told me that it was going to be 1.5x the former size. Still not huge but an improvement.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:21 am

I was at the UC this morning. I've noticed over the past six months or so they've been making small improvements. Added more coffee/snack stations, moving water station to a better location, layout of food buffet. What was nice this morning is that, for the first time since I can remember, they are now serving hot eggs. I know hub locations generally have 1-2 hot items available, but it was nice to see something other that oatmeal.
guy44134, RNE, DELee and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
EWR

Schedule change this summer last EWR departure 4:39PM have a 6:40 now. That’s awful for business people to not have a latter flight you could connect at ORD but that’s ridiculous. Did that connection with People Express.
The point again United promised to maintain service to key business destinations now BOS, LGA, and DCA all gone. Adding capacity to other airports
not really helpful. Just a numbers game. Happy
mrmoo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Schedule change this summer last EWR departure 4:39PM have a 6:40 now. That’s awful for business people to not have a latter flight you could connect at ORD but that’s ridiculous. Did that connection with People Express.
The point again United promised to maintain service to key business destinations now BOS, LGA, and DCA all gone. Adding capacity to other airports
not really helpful. Just a numbers game. Happy
I find it interesting that the "key business destinations" that they served, as soon as they discontinued some other carrier started either taking the service (DL on BOS, WN on MKE/STL) or increased capacity as AA is going to for LGA/DCA. I think it shows the demand is there, but UA has made its strategy clear that they do not want to do point-to-point anymore. Focus cities are not in UA's plans. Could that change? Sure, but I doubt it. I would like to see greater frequency over larger planes with less frequency.

With that said, unless I have a non-stop or a connection to Europe, I'm avoiding EWR, too risky.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:11 am
RNE

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
United promised to maintain service to key business destinations...
Business destination?! (Scoffs.) That doesn't describe tiny, no-account New York City. Why I never even heard of the place until I read your post.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:49 am
RNE

Focus cities are not in UA's plans.
C'mon. This is a CLE thing, not a focus city thing.

With that said, unless I have a non-stop or a connection to Europe, I'm avoiding EWR, too risky.
I agree with you there. Although, I'm fine with an EWR connection on the way back from EU.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by RNE
C'mon. This is a CLE thing, not a focus city thing.
I don't think it's all punitive to CLE. A few years ago UA had non-hub destinations from MSY and AUS to some leisure destinations, those got canned. I think this is strategy: grow the hubs and focus on them. If that strategy ever changes and they start to become more like DL, I don't believe they would come running back to CLE. I don't think they'll copy DL in that regard anyway. They seem to be interested in copying the worst parts of DL.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:11 am
RNE

I don't think it's all punitive to CLE.
You don't think D sticks in UA's craw?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by RNE
You don't think D sticks in UA's craw?
I'm sure it does, but they knew what baggage CO had when they merged. I'm 100% sure that debt was thought of when they dehubed CLE.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:27 pm

Fares have come down, alot. Im the biggest fan of the $70 one ways (3k pts) to LAX on southwest. they just announced due to MAX issues you can change your dates +/- 14 days without any surcharge. The fare is so low because of spirit, but tons of luggage and free cancels makes this way too good. UA and southwest is a great combination from CLE.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by moops380
Fares have come down, alot. Im the biggest fan of the $70 one ways (3k pts) to LAX on southwest. they just announced due to MAX issues you can change your dates +/- 14 days without any surcharge. The fare is so low because of spirit, but tons of luggage and free cancels makes this way too good. UA and southwest is a great combination from CLE.
NK Flying to LAX has also put pressure on UA. During non-peak days I've seen $50-100 one-ways on UA. Domestically, flying out of CLE is very affordable these days. Internationally is still very expensive unfortunately, unless you fly mixed ticket or want to put up with obscene layovers.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 am

NK Flying to LAX has also put pressure on UA. During non-peak days I've seen $50-100 one-ways on UA. Domestically, flying out of CLE is very affordable these days. Internationally is still very expensive unfortunately, unless you fly mixed ticket or want to put up with obscene layovers.
I agree, however if you use points like lifemiles or aeroplan (or turkish) to europe, its just one extra hop (iad, yyz, ewr, or ord), and in business class 45-60k points is still a great deal. The pressure from nk and frontier is amazing for domestic tix.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: UA MM
If you want a Basic Economy ticket on UA, yes, you'll see fares that look like NK's. The spread between UA's BE and discounted Y fare appears to be much higher on their LAX flights than on most if not all other routes.
mrmoo likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If you want a Basic Economy ticket on UA, yes, you'll see fares that look like NK's. The spread between UA's BE and discounted Y fare appears to be much higher on their LAX flights than on most if not all other routes.
That's a good point, it is BE. However BE on United is still a better service than NK, I'd argue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.