Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
If you had to pick one TATL out of CLE that gives bang for the buck I'd say CLE-FRA.

(But for now I'll be hopping on a little RJ tomorrow morning at 6am to IAD to connect for my NYE international )
I think you're right. If you look at similar sized airports near CLE, those with Europe service follow a similar pattern. Cincinnati is still SkyTeam heavy and so their service is to a SkyTeam hub (CDG). PIT is OneWorld heavy and their service is to a OW hub (LHR). CLE is still quite *A heavy so FRA is a logical choice. The problem for Lufthansa is they don't have any smallish TATL-capable aircraft. It's basically an A330 or larger for them and that's quite a large aircraft. United has an appropriate sized aircraft (767-300) but it's not like they have extras just laying around.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: UA
As much as I’d like to see a nonstop TATL flight ex-CLE I don’t think it will ever happen on UA or another legacy airline. UA seems to be committed to flying TATL (or anywhere really) from their hubs only and CLE is not a hub anymore. UA cut CUN from CLE and other stations like SAT recently. Even a *A airline won’t fly to CLE other than AirCanada to YYZ.

Since UA does have a few nonstop domestic flights remaining from CLE to non hubs like DCA, MCO, & LGA, CLE should focus on adding additional domestic nonstop flights on UA to destinations the business community desires even subsidizing those routes.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
As much as I’d like to see a nonstop TATL flight ex-CLE I don’t think it will ever happen on UA or another legacy airline. UA seems to be committed to flying TATL (or anywhere really) from their hubs only and CLE is not a hub anymore. UA cut CUN from CLE and other stations like SAT recently. Even a *A airline won’t fly to CLE other than AirCanada to YYZ.

Since UA does have a few nonstop domestic flights remaining from CLE to non hubs like DCA, MCO, & LGA, CLE should focus on adding additional domestic nonstop flights on UA to destinations the business community desires even subsidizing those routes.
There's a rumor UA may go year-round on their flight to RSW (Ft. Myers) if it continues to do well... don't know about FLL. The flights to LAX are almost always about full and that really isn't a "hub" for UA considering they are the #3 or #4 airline there.
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:29 am
RNE

Carriers aren't the reason there aren't any TATL flights ex-CLE. Clevelanders are. Time and time again, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Quite frankly, they don't deserve it.

RNE, as hot as new year's fireworks.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The flights to LAX are almost always about full and that really isn't a "hub" for UA considering they are the #3 or #4 airline there.
UA, though, does consider LAX to be a hub and international gateway with significant connecting opportunities. Despite having been born/raised in SoCal (with family still there), I'd guestimate somewhere around 75% of my recent LAX flights have been connecting (FAT, BFD, PHX,...) it's a great way to avoid SFO's weather when getting to smaller west coast cities (and also if I have a long enough connection i can catch up with my dad over In-N-Out )

I am surprised though that LAX doesn't have a higher frequency since they obviously aren't going to upguage to anything bigger than the 737-series and I've never seen an empty seat --there's probably logic in not having a mid-day nonstop option but I don't really see it.

To the other sentiment in the thread, I don't think we're going to see it soon (especially since it currently exists just a couple hours away in DTW) but agree that FRA makes the most sense as a European destination from CLE. Perhaps, especially, if the Clinic can sustain growth in the UAE since that would make for a relatively easy (if long) one-stop connection in addition to closer in EU traffic. I'm not holding my breath for it to happen soon, but 5-10 years from now if things stay on the current trajectory it's not impossible.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:07 pm

Looks like the new Master Plan is underway: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ster-plan.html

They've also rolled out a website dedicated to the planning process: https://clevelandairportmasterplan.com
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Anyone know what's up with this (courtesy of email and text from United):
Baggage Sorter Issues- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

Don’t let broken machines break your travel plans. Cleveland Hopkins International Airport is expected to be a little busy today as they need to fix some of their baggage sorting equipment. If you’re planning on checking a bag, we recommend arriving to the airport at least two hours early to ensure your bag is processed and loaded without any delay. Thank you for flying with us.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Anyone have confirmation that UA will be cutting CLE-DCA, for the increase in frequencies on EWR-DCA?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...-growth-spurt/
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I don't think Aer Lingus is actually in *A so they can't leave

Based on them being owned by IAG I personally suspect its only a matter of time before they join OW, although they appear to enjoy their codeshares among members of all of the major alliances so maybe being alliance-less works for their business model. As it is, though the MP earning/burning with EI is already weird enough -- I mean I booked a UA award that included EI on EDI-DUB (part of CLE-ORD-EDI/EDI-DUB-EWR-CLE, all other segments operated by UA) but that same flight wouldn't be eligible to earn MP miles had it been a revenue ticket.
Hartford has direct Dublin flight.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Hartford has direct Dublin flight.

Dublin (ei) would be most logical if they can find an extra a321 and get some incentives from the city of cleveland. LH doesn't have small enough aircraft to fit the route but something random like LOT 1x a week I could see.
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Anyone have confirmation that UA will be cutting CLE-DCA, for the increase in frequencies on EWR-DCA?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...-growth-spurt/
The article mentions UA plans to use CRJ-550 and E175's for this route, neither of which they have ever really used for the CLE-DCA route. Also, UA has the GSA city pair between the two airports, which is by far the most heavily used city pair out of CLE. Not that this is keeping the route afloat, but it sells plenty of full fare coach seats on the route.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by plinth857
The article mentions UA plans to use CRJ-550 and E175's for this route, neither of which they have ever really used for the CLE-DCA route. Also, UA has the GSA city pair between the two airports, which is by far the most heavily used city pair out of CLE. Not that this is keeping the route afloat, but it sells plenty of full fare coach seats on the route.
I think the question has come up because DCA is slot-controlled and, presumably, UA doesn't have enough slots today to increase their service to EWR. I didn't know about the GSA contract... thanks for mentioning.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I think the question has come up because DCA is slot-controlled and, presumably, UA doesn't have enough slots today to increase their service to EWR. I didn't know about the GSA contract... thanks for mentioning.
One other thing I've noticed, is that most days there are more frequent flights between CLE-DCA than IAD. Granted the DCA flights (I believe) are exclusively E145s. They could reduce a couple of slots I suppose, or maybe they're acquiring them from another airline?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrmoo
One other thing I've noticed, is that most days there are more frequent flights between CLE-DCA than IAD. Granted the DCA flights (I believe) are exclusively E145s. They could reduce a couple of slots I suppose, or maybe they're acquiring them from another airline?
AA is putting one E-175 on the route some days. To my knowledge, that's the only time there's ever a flight between the two airports on an aircraft with greater than 50 seats, or a multi-class cabin.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA US
NW ran two class Electra's and 727s for years on CLE-DCA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.