Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by RobS
guy 44134, how old are those chair sets? I think Capital Airlines bought the first ones.
It does look like a mish-mash of different seats. Maybe they're temporary and will be replaced by new or at least matching seats.

At any rate, AA will be moving 32 of 35 flights to CLE common use gates C2, C4, C8, C10 & C14, as well as ground boarding at C3 & C5, beginning with inbound flights Wednesday night, and using these exclusively until jet bridges are moved from D to C. They will keep A1 A3 in the interim. The AA baggage service office will move to the south end of the baggage claim level in mid-June, but the ticket counter is staying put for now.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
WN to MKE twice a day.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
WN to MKE twice a day.
Will pax traffic between the two cities merit two carriers on the route? That's a lot of new capacity to MKE.

Still holding out hope for WN to do a flight from CLE to MCI sometime in the future.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
My guess UA leaves the route exactly like STL.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plinth857
Will pax traffic between the two cities merit two carriers on the route? That's a lot of new capacity to MKE.

Still holding out hope for WN to do a flight from CLE to MCI sometime in the future.
Either WN is planning a LOT of connections either in MKE or CLE, or this is a war that will result in at least one carrier exiting the route before all is said and done.

The fact that WN has almost half the passenger share at MKE tells me that they're expecting connections on that end and that they will survive based on being able to drive (sane) connecting traffic.

My guess UA leaves the route exactly like STL.
Yep. Recently UA.com has been trying to sell me some "unique" routings via MKE -- like MSP-ORD-MKE-CLE -- while not the cheapest option [at least looking for Y/B fares] the fact that it's showing up at all generally doesn't bode great.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Here is an article from the Plain Dealer which further talks about AA's move to Concourse A: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...nging_con.html

It's certainly going to be interesting seeing Concourse A be pretty much empty besides the flights from Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit. I suspect that either of them will be adding more service to/from CLE soon.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oscar555
Here is an article from the Plain Dealer which further talks about AA's move to Concourse A: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...nging_con.html

It's certainly going to be interesting seeing Concourse A be pretty much empty besides the flights from Frontier, Allegiant, and Spirit. I suspect that either of them will be adding more service to/from CLE soon.

NK started CAK, G4 hasn't had the best loads, F9 maybe but they have upgraded aircraft size and passenger count has been flat at CLE....

Still waiting for service to MCI....
Old May 19, 2017, 8:49 am

Looks like shuttle drop-off/pick-up area will remain where it is with some improvements.

Hopkins won't change shuttle drop-off location; will make improvements instead
Old May 19, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
NK started CAK, G4 hasn't had the best loads, F9 maybe but they have upgraded aircraft size and passenger count has been flat at CLE....

Still waiting for service to MCI....
What has G4's loads been looking like to/from CLE? I can't imagine that they are all that popular here.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:49 pm

Just some random shots of changes at CLE today. It was very weird to see AA tails on C (it was too rainy to take one from the ticket lobby and I never made it past security today). It looks like they will eventually be at baggage carrousel #8 and their office will be right across the hall. UA has new, more prominent signage in the ticket lobby. New signs indicating check-in counter locations are more legible than the black and white ones in place last week and a new sign for Known Crew Members is in place in weird location at the end of the walkway instead of more prominently at the entrance. And finally, the new Ground Transportation Center is up and running at the hotel/parking/rideshare parking lots. New electronic signage indicates that a shuttle is boarding and that it's a short walk to the terminal, and seating, free baggage carts, and wheelchair assistance to the check-in counters (with 3 runners stationed there at all times) are all in place. That was an amazingly fast implementation of these changes, especially for CLE. Also, it looks like Allegiant is already using A1 & A3.
Attached Images          
Old May 22, 2017, 11:15 am

WN will be adding a 7th RON in November, hearing B3 will be used.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Yep. Recently UA.com has been trying to sell me some "unique" routings via MKE -- like MSP-ORD-MKE-CLE -- while not the cheapest option [at least looking for Y/B fares] the fact that it's showing up at all generally doesn't bode great.
Same here. UA.com tried to sell me DSM-ORD-MKE-CLE alongside similar availability for DSM-ORD-CLE, but for +$700 on the same E fare.

I don't need the extra segment that badly.

Edit: but maybe I'll take it as an SDC.

Last edited by Wooglin; May 24, 2017 at 10:57 am
Old May 25, 2017, 1:26 pm

I'm thinking that WN to MKE is a way to add more capacity to Chicagoland (especially northern suburbs and southern Wisconsin) without cramming more flights into MDW. Just a guess though. I for one will consider flying WN to MKE the few times a year I fly to the area.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by oscar555
I don't think we have to worry about A being empty. F9 and NK are the fastest-growing carriers at CLE. It'll be nice to see traffic spread-out, IMO.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Coming home from a trip last night it was odd -- and nice -- to see so much hustle and bustle on C -- GLBC, BS, and many of the hold rooms were full to the point of almost overflowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.